39 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jason36's picture
Yulong D100 DAC / Headphone Amplifier

Does anybody own or have they heard the Yulong D100 DAC.

I have been reading a few reviews on this and they all seem to be positive but obviously hard to demo prior to buying a I believe you can actually only get these from either China or Hong Kong pretty much.

Any feedback or input into the sound and how good the headphone amp is would be appreciated.

:cheers:

quadpatch's picture
RE: Yulong D100 DAC / Headphone Amplifier

I know I practiaclly live on this DAC forum lately but... I have read a lot of great things about this DAC/amp too. I am considering upgrading my Fiio combo to it very soon for my desktop so if I do I will come back and let you know.

Jason36's picture

Cheers Quadpatch,

yeah let me have your impressions if you go ahead. Are you buying from abroad or have you found a UK distributor?

quadpatch's picture

Sorry Jason I only found them on eBay. These things almost never show up on Head-Fi for sale boards either so I guess they are either rare as hell or people love em too much to sell them on again. My Fiio is going on eBay in the next couple of days.

Jason36's picture

Sods law you know.

There was a guy in the UK (London) selling one today on Head-Fi, he wanted £250 for it and it sold within a couple of hours.

Looks like China it is then.

quadpatch's picture

Hey Jason,

I found that and it was still listed as pending payment so I emailed him but unfortunately he had just handed it over... meh! I'm really torn between the Yulong D100 and U100 now. I am sure they are quite different but I only need a USB in and headphone out so can't help thinking that the U100 will be less of a waste of features. Still weighing it up though, still considering the D100. Would you ever consider adding the A100 to the D100 or would you just stick with the D100? I can't help wondering just how much better the A100 is than the headphone amp built in to the D100 if it's purely for headphones... 

Did you consider the Yulong U100 or do you just want the higher quality D100 or need some of it's features?

I have decided not to sell either of my old DACs. The Fiio is great for bass and the CEntrance is growing on me all the time.

quadpatch's picture

I found a German distributer for Yulong on eBay. He had a bunch of D100's a while back so I sent him an email and he told me this:

"The new version of the D100 will be available soon so I recommend you to wait for that, it will called "D100 II". It has a TE7022L USB 2.0 interface and supports ASIO. The headphone amplifier has been readjusted for a more "plump" sound. I will let you know when it is available."

Well there you go... I think that I will be waiting for this "NEW" version.

I am curious about the "plump" sound, if it refers to more weight on the low end then I will be extra happy as this is exactly what the DACport lacks, as beautifully detailed as it is there is a noticeable lack of "power" at times - especially with electronic music (which makes up about 20% of my collection).

Andy H's picture
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Has it been bought then.....? Cool

quadpatch's picture

Hey thanks for the link Andy! Oh wow that is so tempting but I think I want to wait for the German guy to get some stock in, especially after it was his information that made me hold off buying in the first place. I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't take too long. It is pretty tempting to get it now considering this seller has 100% feedback but that doesn't gaurantee me to not get charged a customs fee.

quadpatch's picture

I just ordered the Yulong D100 mkII, I couldn't wait any more. I will report back when it comes in and get some listening time in.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Yes, feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks. Smile

Jason36's picture

+1 on the feedback as well mate.

At the moment my choices are the Yulong D100 and the HLLY DMK-IV DAC.....however the newer version of the HLLY does have changeable Op Amps (so I have been informed)....so that may swing my decision....and the fact it is based on the Fidelity Audio DAC (in fact HLLY build the Fidelity Audio DAC for them)

Decisions Decisions

quadpatch's picture

The Yulong D100 mkII turned up this morning at work, got it home this evening, ripped open the packaging and set it up to see if it was working. Only slight problem was a wierd plug but fortunately it just takes a standard kettle plug so used a computer one that I wasn't using. It powered up fine, recongised the PC straight away, foobar recognised it but needed switching (as always). The display tells you the sample rates of the music you are playing correctly. All is well so far, by far the least hassle of any DAC I have had but none of them have been terrible trouble. 

As for the audio, it's very early days of course but... I have only tested it running on the Denon headphones so far but wow! I am really impressed with this sound. So very clear and smooth yet so much power/presence. It's the most enjoyable sound I have experienced thus far. It was difficult to completely like the DACport becasue of it's utter inability to produce strong bass, as nice and tight as that low end was... sorry I mean is, I'm not selling it yet :P. 

The stepped volume dial is lovely although the knob itself is a nasty plastic thing but underneath you can feel the greatness! The second sound mode which gently curves off the treble is nice but so very subtle (I like it this way actually). The two headphone inputs are a nice touch and it seems might add a nice change to the sound too. These headphones (with an impedance of 25ohms) clearly should go in the left socket and they sound great there but stick them in the right one and the sound signature seems brighter, just remember to crank the volume down beforehand though as otherwise it blows your head off :P.

I will do a lot more testing with this DAC / headphone amp of course but I really don't think my opinion is going to change. I can't recommend it enough so far but I guess I could be lucky with synergy. I will try it more with the cheaper Denons (AH-D1100), Sennheiser HD25-1 II's (before I eBay them) and V-Moda M-80's soon. 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Nice post quad. Looking forward to more reflections.......... Smile

Jason36's picture

+1 on that as well Quadpatch, especially seeing as I am still seriously considering the Yulong D100 in its MkII guise. Obviously not being able to listen before you buy means you are unfortunately restricted to reviews by people like yourself.

This is why, although the HLLY MkIV DAC also looks interesting, especially with it changeable OpAmps, it is sliding out of consideration as I dont know anybody who owns one and again can only be bought from HLLY in China.

Look forward to hearing your further impressions over the next few days Smile

Pages