Have your say & ask the experts!

Screen Burn Worries

7 replies [Last post]
relocated's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Posts: 963

Looking for help with iPad Mini worries.

I streamed a BBC iPlayer programme to ATV and TV yesterday and all the time, an hour, there was a static picture displayed on the iPad screen.  

I know that screen burn is a possibility and wonder if any of you have advice on how to blank the screen or run a screen-saver that will not affect the streaming.

Thanks in advance for any replies.   Smile

__________________

Apple Lossless - ATV3 - AVI ADM 40  also ATV3 into AVI ADM 9T [my wife's system]

and Grado SR80i

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Nov 2010
Posts: 2839
RE: Screen Burn Worries

You can try creating an all white image in any editing program, and saving it to your ipad.  Display the image for a few hours on your ipad with screensaver dissabled and see what happens.

__________________

Paul's system thread

(where the photos live) Paul's Flickr page

retro_sussex's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Nov 2012
Posts: 30
RE: Screen Burn Worries

Screen burn only applied to CRT displays such as the pre 2005 televisions; you can't get screen burn on modern displays such as LED displays.

__________________

Retro

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Nov 2010
Posts: 2839
RE: Screen Burn Worries

retro_sussex wrote:

Screen burn only applied to CRT displays such as the pre 2005 televisions; you can't get screen burn on modern displays such as LED displays.

 

Sure screen burn may be an improper term, but LCDs are susceptible to image persistence or image retention issues.  Whatever you want to call it, the result looks the same.

__________________

Paul's system thread

(where the photos live) Paul's Flickr page

retro_sussex's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Nov 2012
Posts: 30
RE: Screen Burn Worries

Paul. wrote:

retro_sussex wrote:

Screen burn only applied to CRT displays such as the pre 2005 televisions; you can't get screen burn on modern displays such as LED displays.

 

Sure screen burn may be an improper term, but LCDs are susceptible to image persistence or image retention issues.  Whatever you want to call it, the result looks the same.

 

The difference is, screen burn on a CRT is permanent, but LCD retention which is very difficult to achieve is not permanent, 48 hours rest and it’s back to normal.

__________________

Retro

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Nov 2010
Posts: 2839
RE: Screen Burn Worries

LCD pannels can perminantly be damaged.  It's hard, but it is possible.  Manufacturers warn against it in their manuals.

 

Samsung Manual wrote:

 Displaying stationary images that exceed the above guidelines can cause unevenaging of LED Displays that leave subtle, but permanent burned-in ghost images in the LED picture. 

 

__________________

Paul's system thread

(where the photos live) Paul's Flickr page

retro_sussex's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Nov 2012
Posts: 30
RE: Screen Burn Worries

We will have to differ on this one.  In my experience in supplying monitors to betting shops where the companies name is displayed on the screen all the time, I have only had a problem when we used CRT monitors, when we upgraded to LCD monitors we never saw the logo etched on the screen when switched off.  I think the information you quote is a company playing safe.  talk to the hand

__________________

Retro

relocated's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Posts: 963
RE: Screen Burn Worries

Paul. wrote:

You can try creating an all white image in any editing program, and saving it to your ipad.  Display the image for a few hours on your ipad with screensaver dissabled and see what happens.

Paul, I don't have screen-burn/retention, I was just trying to avoid it.  I can't find any screensaver on the Mini or any other method of removing the fixed screen when streaming iPlayer.   puzzled

__________________

Apple Lossless - ATV3 - AVI ADM 40  also ATV3 into AVI ADM 9T [my wife's system]

and Grado SR80i