132 posts / 0 new
Last post
CnoEvil's picture
Online
Last seen: 13 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12399
RE: Source...which direction?

Alex, I came across these two blogs which you might find helpful:

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.sk/2011/06/streamers-and-dacs-from-linn-cyrus.html
and
http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.sk/2012/04/linn-vs-naim-mid-range-streamer.html

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

acalex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 13/09/2011 - 11:48
Posts: 1592
RE: Source...which direction to go?

Thanks a lot!

BigColz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 18/06/2012 - 14:57
Posts: 304
RE: Source...which direction to go?

Those blogs are interesting read.. I'd agree 100% that all-in-one box streamer is the way forward.. Depending on your taste in music and amplification i think it could sway which you'd prefer out of Naim and Linn.. I'm not a fan of Naim amps at all.. And although it sounded good through naim amps, when i ran the Naim streamer through my Cyrus amp the combination truly blew me away.. Gave it extra punch but knocked off the harshness of the naim amp. I Couldn't believe music from a HDD could sound so musical and realistic.. I've heard people say similar things about very expensive Naim CD players falling short against 2-3k streamers.. Glad you're plugging it! I'm right behind ya pal!!! Biggrin

acalex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 13/09/2011 - 11:48
Posts: 1592
RE: Source...which direction to go?

I am back! After some holidays its time a little bit to start updating and demoing again  :cheers:

I am starting now with my digital source as the turntable is sorted and it is still my main source so far. Since yesterday I plugged the SBT to the amplifier through an M2Tech DAC using toslink connection...

Still too early to judge but my first feeling from stone cold was a lot more space and air, a more open sound.

My plan is to listen to it for something like a week and then switch back to the SBT alone and see what happens...

 

acalex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 13/09/2011 - 11:48
Posts: 1592
RE: Source...which direction to go?

After living with the M2Tech for a while (connected through toslink) I feel there is some kind of improvement, not sure yet if is worth the price gap between the SBT and the M2Tech.

Next on the list is the Wadia 121 which I will be getting soon...more on this to come. 

Not yet tried to demo a Linn stremer as I first want to realize which DAC would think is best and then compare to a Linn streamer. 

acalex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 13/09/2011 - 11:48
Posts: 1592
RE: Source...which direction to go?

Enjoying the Wadia 121 now for a week, is getting better and I recognise it's a step up from the SBT itself :cheers:

Still not sure it will be a keeper as I still feel is missing some involvent and musicality...it is not "analogue" enough.

Had a demo of Linn system, unfortunately the demo was quite bad organized and I could not really hear the differences between the different units as they were plugging the units on different speakers evey time.

More on this later!

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 5 min ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 3964
RE: Source...which direction to go?

spockfish wrote:

I'll agree. Take the SBT and a very good DAC and imho you have a very capable streaming solution with a very, very good SQ. And this may sound like a shock... with respect to usability the SBT beats every DLNA-based streamer hands down.

 

So the question is... how much are you willing to spend on SQ that you get with the high end streamer?

Even better when you upgrade the PSU on the squeezebox!

The squeezebox streaming 24/96 to my Rega DAC sounded amazing!

I only borrowed the squeezebox from a friend imho its better than AE, with the AE I have I suffer drop outs...not 1 dropout with the Squeezebox

 

Michell / Icon Audio / Kudos

 

acalex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 13/09/2011 - 11:48
Posts: 1592
RE: Source...which direction to go?

stevebrock wrote:

Even better when you upgrade the PSU on the squeezebox!

The squeezebox streaming 24/96 to my Rega DAC sounded amazing!

I only borrowed the squeezebox from a friend imho its better than AE, with the AE I have I suffer drop outs...not 1 dropout with the Squeezebox

I have already tried that and no luck, couldn't spot any difference worth the cost of the PSU.

I will certainly try the Rega DAC as the Wadia and the M2Tech are a good step up but I am afraid too much "digital" for my taste. [/quote]

 

acalex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 13/09/2011 - 11:48
Posts: 1592
RE: Source...which direction to go?

Wadia 121 is packed! It will be back to the store this weekend. I will still borrow to Rega DAC for my peace of mind but I am almost sure my decision is made by now! Smile

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2088
RE: Source...which direction to go?

acalex wrote:

Wadia 121 is packed! It will be back to the store this weekend. I will still borrow to Rega DAC for my peace of mind but I am almost sure my decision is made by now! Smile

I'm sure too... quite sad too, the journey is nearly at an end.Btw,

Have you actually got the speakers at home now?

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 5 min ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 3964
RE: Source...which direction to go?

acalex wrote:

stevebrock wrote:

 

Even better when you upgrade the PSU on the squeezebox!

The squeezebox streaming 24/96 to my Rega DAC sounded amazing!

I only borrowed the squeezebox from a friend imho its better than AE, with the AE I have I suffer drop outs...not 1 dropout with the Squeezebox

 

I have already tried that and no luck, couldn't spot any difference worth the cost of the PSU.

I will certainly try the Rega DAC as the Wadia and the M2Tech are a good step up but I am afraid too much "digital" for my taste. 

 

[/quote]

 

Believe it or not the Rega DAC does sound analogue? I know it baffles me too!

 

Michell / Icon Audio / Kudos

 

acalex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 13/09/2011 - 11:48
Posts: 1592
RE: Source...which direction to go?

Macspur wrote:

acalex wrote:

Wadia 121 is packed! It will be back to the store this weekend. I will still borrow to Rega DAC for my peace of mind but I am almost sure my decision is made by now! Smile

I'm sure too... quite sad too, the journey is nearly at an end.Btw,

Have you actually got the speakers at home now?

Mac

Well yes, in a way its a releaf that all pieces are coming together but it is indeed a bit sad as the updates now will be minor tweaks like power cables, speaker cables, ICs, furniture etc...

Speakers will be coming home tomorrow or worst case beginning of next week!

acalex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 13/09/2011 - 11:48
Posts: 1592
RE: Source...which direction to go?

stevebrock wrote:

acalex wrote:

stevebrock wrote:

 

Even better when you upgrade the PSU on the squeezebox!

The squeezebox streaming 24/96 to my Rega DAC sounded amazing!

I only borrowed the squeezebox from a friend imho its better than AE, with the AE I have I suffer drop outs...not 1 dropout with the Squeezebox

 

I have already tried that and no luck, couldn't spot any difference worth the cost of the PSU.

I will certainly try the Rega DAC as the Wadia and the M2Tech are a good step up but I am afraid too much "digital" for my taste. 

 

 

Believe it or not the Rega DAC does sound analogue? I know it baffles me too!

 

[/quote]

I have heard it everywhere...it is one of the most analogue sounding DAC around...and for 600 eur I think it will be a shame not to audition it. Anyway it will be much difficult to get any close to what I have heard yesterday night with the Majik and Akurate DS from Linn

BigColz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 18/06/2012 - 14:57
Posts: 304
RE: Source...which direction to go?

Have you listened to or considered a Naim streamer? Mine is the most analogue sounding source i've ever heard and why I bought it.. I don't get on with the Naim amp sound at all but listened to it with a open mind and was blown away.. Really did impress me that stored music could sound so natural and fluid..

BigColz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 18/06/2012 - 14:57
Posts: 304
RE: Source...which direction?

CnoEvil wrote:
Alex, I came across these two blogs which you might find helpful: http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.sk/2011/06/streamers-and-dacs-from-linn-cyrus.html and http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.sk/2012/04/linn-vs-naim-mid-range-streamer.html

 

I think I read these before and a good insight/review.. But will come down to personal preference and how it goes with the rest of your kit.. Both very good peices of kit and def never looked back as far as DS for source  :grin:

Pages

Log in or register to post comments