PS3 vs Oppo BDP 103
I currently use PS3 (fat) for playing my BDs, DVDs, CDs and other audio/video content from HDD. I have the PS3 connected to Marantz SR 6003, and DALI Ikon 6 home theatre system + velodyne sub + Philips 42'' LCD. It's a decent system and I have generally been happy with the performance of the PS3, however two things are bothering me most:
- Lack of MKV and FLAC support
- Lack of support for subtitle files (srt/sub)
Also the PS3 is getting old, (about 4 years old) so I have started thinking about upgrading to a BDP that will address the above issues. I have never used another dedicated BDP in the past. I have two options, either go for one of the cheaper BD players or go for oppo BDP 103. I don't mind paying extra for quality but I am not sure if the benefits would really justify the investment. I have following questions:
- Would I get better picture quality for BD playback? Some posts on this forum suggest that all BDPs are same in this area, so probably shouldn't expect any improvement over the PS3.
- Would I get significantly better DVD (video) playback? I will be playing more DVD quality videos than BDs.
- Would I get significantly better surround/movie audio?
- Would I get significantly better stereo playback when playing FLAC or lossless WAV files?
I will decide based on the above factors whether to go for Oppo or settle for a cheaper player that can support MKV, FLAC and Subs. Please advise.
Thanks in advance.