44 posts / 0 new
Last post
megatombomb's picture
Oppo BDP105 first impressions review.
English
bigboss's picture
RE: Oppo BDP105 first impressions review.

Try again. Keen to read your review.  Smile

jmjones's picture

Well until Megatombomb returns,try mine:

David sold me an Oppo 105. I've taken out the dead DVD32r and the AV32r, updated the Oppo firmware and am using the Oppo direct linked into my 100*5r as a processor. The story so far:

Very impressed with blu-ray visuals, but no surprise there as the HTPC was doing OK.

Linked up my Sky box direct to TV and optical to the Oppo. USB DAC connected, HTPC also linked via HDMI. Folio on a spdif coax.

Thoroughly impressed with the sound. Cds at least as good as the Tag unit, tried "Grrr" on a stereo bluray (nice, but I'm not going to replace all my cds for the difference), flac rips, Tubular Bells monster flac all very good, I was very surprised by "Honky Chateau" as a surround SACD. Thought it would be a joke, but really got immersed in the music. May well try a few more.

Bourne Legacy made me duck. May have to turn the rears down a bit.

Can't hear any difference between the USB DAC and the HDMI connection (ears are getting on a bit now)

Very impressed on the SQ and video, but!!!!

Quite a few control issues - particularly with the lip sync side of it,. Being a persistent git for experimenting,  it would appear that fast forward/pausing/b*******g about with Sky replay can create or solve lip sync issues. Sometimes the Sky picture freezes for no apparent reason. I think that there is something in the communications that causes gremlins. You can always use the Sky box adjustment to solve it, or sometimes just reboot! I'm wondering if my different makes of HDMI can cause trouble.

It's driving the wife mad - so 5 stars for the Oppo!!!!

Well worth a punt chaps.  beauty, eh

Oppo 105eu, Tag McLaren 100*5R, Monitor Audio 20se/gold centre & surrounds, custom HTPC, Samsung 55" TV, Sky HD, Pinnacle Audio Folio (No? Look that iron up!)

jmjones's picture

Well until Megatombomb returns,try mine:

David sold me an Oppo 105. I've taken out the dead DVD32r and the AV32r, updated the Oppo firmware and am using the Oppo direct linked into my 100*5r as a processor. The story so far:

Very impressed with blu-ray visuals, but no surprise there as the HTPC was doing OK.

Linked up my Sky box direct to TV and optical to the Oppo. USB DAC connected, HTPC also linked via HDMI. Folio on a spdif coax.

Thoroughly impressed with the sound. Cds at least as good as the Tag unit, tried "Grrr" on a stereo bluray (nice, but I'm not going to replace all my cds for the difference), flac rips, Tubular Bells monster flac all very good, I was very surprised by "Honky Chateau" as a surround SACD. Thought it would be a joke, but really got immersed in the music. May well try a few more.

Bourne Legacy made me duck. May have to turn the rears down a bit.

Can't hear any difference between the USB DAC and the HDMI connection (ears are getting on a bit now)

Very impressed on the SQ and video, but!!!!

Quite a few control issues - particularly with the lip sync side of it,. Being a persistent git for experimenting,  it would appear that fast forward/pausing/b*******g about with Sky replay can create or solve lip sync issues. Sometimes the Sky picture freezes for no apparent reason. I think that there is something in the communications that causes gremlins. You can always use the Sky box adjustment to solve it, or sometimes just reboot! I'm wondering if my different makes of HDMI can cause trouble.

It's driving the wife mad - so 5 stars for the Oppo!!!!

Well worth a punt chaps.  beauty, eh

Oppo 105eu, Tag McLaren 100*5R, Monitor Audio 20se/gold centre & surrounds, custom HTPC, Samsung 55" TV, Sky HD, Pinnacle Audio Folio (No? Look that iron up!)

megatombomb's picture

It seems the site/forum was having problems earlier and my review didnt appear :wall:  Apologies for that.

So yes i would like to share my impressions of playing with my new Oppo 105 all day whilst doing some listening tests against the unit it replaces which is a Denon DBP2012ud of only 12months old.  This review will focus solely on the 2 channel audio quality while listening through HDMI from both players.  I admit to have tried neither through analog outs as yet only HDMI - though i'd like to do this as i expect the difference from using the Sabre DAC in the 105 output via XLR into a proper integrated amp to sound better - surely the main point of buying a 105 over 103.  The two players are connected to a Pioneer SC-LX85 av processor/amp and the speakers are Monitor Audio RX6 floorstanders.  HDMI calbes are identical and both good quality.  Expectations having read such rave reviews online and on forums are high.....

Started by listening to a favorite album of mine Pawn Hearts by Van Der Graaf Generator on CD.  Immediately noticed the treble to be more prominent than the Denon but surprisingly not in a good way.  Sure its quite a harsh recording (for those who have heard it) and the Oppo does nothing to hide the fact and perhaps over emphasises it.  I also thought the timing of the record to be slight out and then it came to me the main critisism of the Oppo 103 in what -hi-fi review where they seemed to mention it didint time well with music.  I simply dont remember not enjoying the three amazing tracks on this VDGG album ever before??

Promptly i moved onto another favourite CD... Nursery Cryme by Genesis.  There are a number of tracks with some rhythmic but complex drumming which i figured would be a great test of both units 'timing'.  Again the Oppo sounds brighter though acceptable on this recording but almost harsh again.  More worryingly where the Denon has me tapping my feet and playing imaginary drum kit i just found the Oppo lost all the subtleties in the rhythms and stopped me tapping away and i was suddenly finding it hard to listen too for more than a few minutes!  I have gone back and forth between each player for hours and i am so far very disappointed by what ive heard.

I now have a predicament of whether to return the unit as i bought online or try the analog outs but i must admit the disappointment so far has made me wonder whether to bother keeping it any longer.  For the same money i can have a dedicated SACD player (one with warm rich sound like MArantz Pearl lite) and seperate Blu ray player.  I think i have discovered that when you pair notoriously bright/forward sounding components together it doesnt help as the Pioneer amp and Monitor Audio speakers are guilty of some brightness though no other source has pushed them into harshness as the Oppo has before.

I have learned a lesson today also which is preached on these forums daily which is to always try and make sure to demo such expensive equipment :doh: 

bigboss's picture

You're not using the superior ESS Sabre32 DACs of the Oppo 105 if you use HDMI. Try with analogue connection.

bigboss's picture

Check this:

"SABRE32 Reference Audio DAC - The DAC is one of the most important components for digital audio playback. The SABRE32 Reference ES9018 from ESS Technology is the world’s best performing 32-bit audio DAC solution targeted for high-end consumer applications and professional studio equipment. With the ESS patented 32-bit Hyperstream™ DAC architecture and Time Domain Jitter Eliminator, the SABRE32 Reference DAC delivers an unprecedented DNR (Dynamic Range) of up to 135dB and THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion plus Noise) of -120dB, the industry’s highest performance level that will satisfy even the most demanding audio enthusiast. The BDP-105 uses two ES9018 DAC chips - one for the 7.1-channel output, and another for the dedicated stereo output. To learn more about the technologies behind the exceptional performance of the SABRE DAC, please read the SABRE Technical White Paper."

megatombomb's picture

The DAC in the Pioneer is meant to be very good for 2 channel but yes all ive read says these AV processors dont do music much favours.

Hope to have some analog cables tomorrow to try it with.  I hope it makes a difference.  I hope this makes it sound warmer and fuller but i still fear that the musicality wont be there as it is with the ol' Denon.  It seems strange to criticise it perhaps so soon and also after every other review is so glowing!

I should mention on the plus side, it is beautifully built - to a standard far higher than the Denon (which itself isnt bad). The setup is quick and easy, plus the very intuitive menus make it a pleasure to use.

None of this matters if i dont enjoy the sound though.

Have you tried comparing the two outputs yourself Bigboss?

bigboss's picture

If you're using the DAC in the Pioneer, then you're not reaping the benefits of Oppo 105. It's no better than 103 if using HDMI. I haven't heard the 105 via HDMI personally. On comparing the Oppo 103 with 105, the latter sounded fuller and more revealing to me (connected via analogue).

Exoticsounds's picture

Since you have Pioneer SC-LX85 and you use digital transmission you might want to also try one of the Pioneer BD players, like for instance BDP-LX55 to take advantage of Pioneers PQLS solution which is aimed at giving jitterless transmission. (For uncompressed 2-channel or multi-channel LPCM and bitstream audio over HDMI ) 

Paul@HiFi-Lounge's picture

Hi Guys,

If we are talking 105 reviews and you've got nothing better to do you may want to have a flick through my OPPO page as I've been trying to document everything that I've tried on the 105EU so far, I really have put it through its paces, whether integrated into a high end 2 channel system, fed straight into poweramps, as a headphone amp, we even tried some films on it  Smile Obviously it passed with flying colours with everyting, it really is quite a special piece of AV kit.

http://hifilounge.tumblr.com/tagged/Oppo

sogophonio11's picture

Just a question! Having paid all that money for a very high end, incredible machine.

Is a pioneer AV and monitor audio RX6,s, really doing it justice?:O

megatombomb's picture

Managed to try the Oppo's analog RCA outs with good quality Atlas Equator cables.

Definately with the amp in pure direct mode i am hearing the best yet out of the Oppo.  Does it have a notably better sound than the Denon?  Well having run them both via analog outs to get a fair comparison the Oppo does have a slightly cleaner sound. Tonally i do prefer it.

My biggest beef yesterday was finding the Oppo to be making a mess of the rhythm of music as referenced in What Hi-Fi review of the 103 but i found this playing both over HDMI.  Even in analog I am still convinced that it is just not as good as the Denon in this respect which is a shame because it is slightly better in literally every other respect when both used via their analog outputs.  Its such a shame and i would be suprised if everyone who heard these two units side by side didnt pick up on it either. 

I find the lack of musicality and rhythmic drive so disappointing i am boxing it back up and returning it immediately.  Havent even tried the Blu-ray side of things but again i expect both players to be itentical for picture and probably similar for audio.

In many respects the Oppo is a £1000 bargain on paper/spec/build but the performance has major flaws and i strongly recommend anyone to demo one before buying one especially if you love getting lost playing music.

megatombomb's picture

sogophonio11 wrote:

Just a question! Having paid all that money for a very high end, incredible machine.

Is a pioneer AV and monitor audio RX6,s, really doing it justice?:O

Yes.  Given my budget.  The Pioneer is a high end AV amp in itself is it not?  The £1000 for the Oppo seemed like excellent value for money, cheap almost, considering the spec/features/quality.  But sound has odd rhythm and drive sadly in my system at least

bigboss's picture

Try Marantz UD7007, currently available at a bargain price:

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p/marantz-ud70073d-blu-ray-player?gclid=CJ7vuY-wkLUCFSHHtAodLkwAtA&gclid=CJ7vuY-wkLUCFSHHtAodLkwAtA

Marantz is known for its musicality. Definitely demo first! :read:

bigboss's picture

Review here:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/ud7007

Pages