35 posts / 0 new
Last post
davidvann's picture
RE: Arcam BDP300

No noise from arcam ,about their new player yet,only a small bit on there web site .Has anybody heard anything yet.???

You would of thought that they would be shouting from the roof tops about how good it is.

fatboyslim1966's picture

Just to say I have the AVR600 with the BDP300 and they both work perfectly together. However I did have 3 BDP100's before and they all failed to work properly for one reason or another over a 15 month period so I upgraded to the BDP300. Now the load speeds of the BDP300 are brilliant, really quick and the response from the remote excellent, the BDP300 does appear to be a totally different monster with different software and now appears to be a great investment after testing my patience to an extreme!  Also to add you can now update it's firware from the internet direct and it appears to be multi-region which is all excellent news!

davidvann's picture

hi ,how's the picture is better than the bdp100,and how does strereo sound.many thanks david

fatboyslim1966's picture

Picture and sound is superb, I've not found a fault with it yet, totally different to the BDP100 which had soooo many issues!  The best bit is the load speeds and response from the remote, both were diabolical on the BDP100, so very impressed with that...

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Tempting, still living in hope for a professional review soon.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

The Swedish "HemmaBio" magazine's issue No. 9 September 2012 has made ​​a test.
According to the test in the Home Theater magazine the ARCAM BDP 300 player got average rating. They take up examples as HDMI coulor Space, which Arcam not working quite optimally with.

The upsampling of chroma is done with a simple method called "nearest Neighbour". This is the method used in those cheap DVD players. So the players chroma upsampling performance are average and results in  blocky/jagged colour contours.

But it got top ratings for sound on CD.

They have not compared with any other player in the test, but describes the sound as CD player via the analogue output as it sounds really balanced. Clear defination of mainly vocals, drums and cymbals where the player keeps apart the sounds when the music is tight and increases in the intensity. Airy and open would be keywords for those seeking a sound character.
tombuc2's picture

High time for a review indeed. What's stopping the good folk at What Hi-Fi? I notice the review of the BDP 100 gave lots of thumbs up for the essentials of sound and picture, but all flawed by useability issues ... some slight improvement on 2nd go but not enough to get up to 4 stars. Meanwhile reliability and eccentricity remains a worry... If the BDP 300 has resolved these (and seems that on disc loading speed it certainly has) then it could be as big a happening as the once all conquering DV79 in merging great video with real hi-fi audio. A review would be great along with a spin out with the likes of Cambridge Audio BD752 and Oppo/Marantz/Denon rivals. And timely...especially now Arcam are offering a £400 off trade in,! But dare I trade-in my trusty DV79 which sounds soooo much better on CD than my Sony blu-ray ? So how's about it gang? Arcam may not deserve it after the BDP100 but it may be that the BDP300 does?

tombuc2's picture
High time for a review

High time for a review indeed. What's stopping the good folk at What Hi-Fi?

I notice the review of the BDP 100 gave lots of thumbs up for the essentials of sound and picture, but all flawed by useability issues ... some slight improvement on 2nd go but not enough to get up to 4 stars. Meanwhile reliability and eccentricity remains a worry...

If the BDP 300 has resolved these (and seems that on disc loading speed it certainly has) then it could be as big a happening as the once all conquering DV79 in merging great video with real hi-fi audio.

A review would be great along with a spin out with the likes of Cambridge Audio BD752 and Oppo/Marantz/Denon rivals.

And timely...especially now Arcam are offering a £400 off trade in,! But dare I trade-in my trusty DV79 which sounds soooo much better on CD than my Sony blu-ray ?

So how's about it gang? Arcam may not deserve it after the BDP100 but it may be that the BDP300 does?

tombuc2's picture
High time for a review

High time for a review indeed. What's stopping the good folk at What Hi-Fi?

I notice the review of the BDP 100 gave lots of thumbs up for the essentials of sound and picture, but all flawed by useability issues ... some slight improvement on 2nd go but not enough to get up to 4 stars. Meanwhile reliability and eccentricity remains a worry...

If the BDP 300 has resolved these (and seems that on disc loading speed it certainly has) then it could be as big a happening as the once all conquering DV79 in merging great video with real hi-fi audio.

A review would be great along with a spin out with the likes of Cambridge Audio BD752 and Oppo/Marantz/Denon rivals.

And timely...especially now Arcam are offering a £400 off trade in,! But dare I trade-in my trusty DV79 which sounds soooo much better on CD than my Sony blu-ray ?

So how's about it gang? Arcam may not deserve it after the BDP100 but it may be that the BDP300 does?

manicm's picture
RE: High time for a review

You can get a Marantz UD7007 at under 700 quid, so who really cares? The BDP-300 may well be an excellent machine, but my gut tells me Arcam won't bother next time - I'd like to know how many of these they're selling? I'd also worry about obsolescence if 4k machines are indeed around the corner.

gel's picture
RE: High time for a review

manicm wrote:

You can get a Marantz UD7007 at under 700 quid, so who really cares? The BDP-300 may well be an excellent machine, but my gut tells me Arcam won't bother next time - I'd like to know how many of these they're selling? I'd also worry about obsolescence if 4k machines are indeed around the corner.

Agreed, or even better an Oppo 103 for under £500!

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

davidvann's picture
hi all,i must say after moved

hi all,i must say after moved on from the bdp 100 to the bdp300,the bdp 300 is much better than the 100,the picture load speeds the sound is much better both on film and music,iam really pleased with it,i have had no problems with crashes or not loading disc,it an all round a better player,but saying that I wished I never sold my fmg 139 that was truly a master piece,sometimes i'd have trouble telling the difference between bluray and dvd.but I do give the thumbs up to fmj bdp 300 to any one thinking about buying one.cheers david

Dean Morris's picture

i will be getting my bdp300 today!

Will be comparing the stereo sound quality to my dv79.

Hopefully there will be a difference as they say the bdp300 basically the same as the high end cd37! bargin if you ask me. CD,DVD and blueray. Job done!

davidvann's picture

hi, im sure b pleased with your new player,it is good all round.david

psurquhart's picture

Dean Morris wrote:

i will be getting my bdp300 today!

Will be comparing the stereo sound quality to my dv79.

Hopefully there will be a difference as they say the bdp300 basically the same as the high end cd37! bargin if you ask me. CD,DVD and blueray. Job done!

Hi Dean,

Any chance of that comparison please if you are out there ?

Cheers

Pages