my sistem si also quite similar!!
CHORD PRIMA PREAMP
ATC SCM 50 SLAT
Very happy wiht it!
OLIVE 06 HD/ CHORD QDB76HDSD DAC / AYON ORION / SONUS FABER CREMONAS M / MERIDIAN i80
I have added an Apple TV to the system to be able to mirror the iPad screen on the TV and maybe occasionally rent a movie.
I found ATV to be excellent and easy to set up.
The whole of the system which now includes 9 devices is still controlled from a single remote and takes only one button press to set itself up for any activity. I absolutley love programmable remotes! Here are some new screenshots:
System here http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/my-dream-system-oh-maybe-one-day
I am currently using Benchmark dac1 hdr to ATC actives but I also have a mid range av receiver (Maratz sr5005) which has digital optical and coax inputs. Have not checked but they should be 24/96 capable so should be as good as the Benchmark.
I also have rca to xlr adapters so I am going to try connecting the mac mini to the receiver via optical (and apple tv is already connected via hdmi) and then pre outs to the ATCs and see if I can hear any difference.
As the Benchmark has dual outputs, I am using the rca ones to feed the sub but with the receiver I will have to use the sub out (and will need another set of rca to xlr adapters as the sub is xlr only).
Should be interesting. Any bets?
I reckon they will both sound the same.
PC > AVI Neutron Five 2.1
Sony NWZ-A847 64GB Walkman > Westone UM3x
They should, according to the objective theory.
In the past, I have tried to play a cd player via an optical in on a receiver ( a Teac 5.1 from abt 2002) and it sounded really bad - I was very surprised. Not that there was difference, but that it was so big, as if it was broken or decoding wrongly.
Couple of questions,
Did you ever do an audition or anything of the B and W M1 computer speakers?
How are you finding the Genelecs after a few months?
What system do you listen to most in your house?
Hi Fi = Mac Book Pro - Monitor Audio WS100
HC = Pionner VSX 922 K - Boston Acoustics Soundware XS
Ear Fi = iPad Mini - Soundmagic E10
Sorry totally missed the page where you actually purchased the MM1's and loved them.
what about MM1's vs Genelecs?
I find MM1s excellent. they do have boosted bass (possibly DSP-based variable loudness compensation) which I think is great for low level use which I have (bedroom). I am very happy with them.
The Genelecs are excellent, too. As they are white, they fit the decor well, the stands are great for mounting and they sound excellent. Perfect speakers when you need small ones.
As for which ones get most airtime -
- the least time is the mm1s in the bedroom as we only have them on occasionally (slow weekend mornings mainly and sometimes briefly evenings).
- the next is the main system - again, mainly on during weekends or when I am alone I crank it up a little. We watch very little if any TV these days so this reduces the airtime on the main speakers too.
- the most often used is actually the kitchen system as we switch it on even before the morning coffee and as soon as we come back from work and switch it off only when we go to sleep or watch a movie. On weekends, it is not unusual to have both the main system and the kitchen system playing in sync for the whole day.
There is another system that consistently gets a lot of airtime - iphone + apple in-ears. as much as the main one, if not more.
I am 100% happy with all of the above systems. I think the only occasional trouble is the less than reliable remote app / library connection.
Thanks so much for the reply,
I went to listen to the MM1's today and they are very nice. Thing is though I tried the Monitor Audio WS100's whilst I was there and I choose them @ £250 and they are also excellent like the B and W's . I believe they are an active design.?
From the specs they do look like proper actives. Also a bit bigger than the MM1s (but I htink the woofer size is the same). So do they have slightly deeper bass?
actually the bass is surprisingly full and deep. And yes bigger than the MM1's. I'm so impressed with the MA's .. Really good speakers
Evolution of the bedroom system -
to the current one. Less boxes (Airport is blue-tacked to the back of the chest), great sound and easy control.
Just looks great .... Minimal . I like
Finally tried it today. Connected the macmini to the receiver via optical, speakers front pre outs via rca-xlr cables and sub pre out to the sub via rca to rca-xlr adapter.Run re-calibration. Play.Sounds good, no issues with sound quality.
I noticed though that I could not achieve loudness levels as high as with the Benchmark. this is probably due to it having higher output levels on its xrl outputs compared to the receiver's rcas.
There were some issues, too:
- on one (classical very high dynamic range) track which plays on high vol setting there was some regular soft cracking kind of noise which is not there when played via Benchmark. I think this is either processing artefacts or just gain mismatch making them more audible
- this I cannot figure out: with bass setting on 'lfe+main' there is no (or nearly no) sound from the sub. With bass setting on 'lfe' the sub plays ok. It is not that it is cancelled out, the driver does not move. What this could be?
© 2013 Haymarket Publishing