42 posts / 0 new
Last post
DistortedVision's picture
Sony 55HX853 Stand Nightmare

I have decided to buy the Sony 55HX853 but its proving to be a nightmare to find a stand. I spent 3 hours the other night looking online and because the 55HX853 has a plinth the stand needs to be at least the width of the TV. Because of this there are very few available and I hated most of them. Then finally I found Deploy Max 9649 GB which I really liked - nice and simple...just what I was looking for. 

BDI is distributed by Optimum International in the UK and I known them pretty well having owned two Optimum hifi racks over the last 12 years. The stand was showing in stock available to order on a couple of websites. But then I discover that its been discontinued! No dealers have ever held stock of it as all orders were fulfilled by Optimum as the distributor. Its still showing on both BDI's and Optimum's websites.

So now I'm back to square one. I simply can't find anything similar or that I like. BDI have another stand but I don't like it and its exactly what I'm not looking for ie wood or wood effect finish. I did like this Alpahson stand but its not wide enough:

So I'm wondering if anyone has come across anything similar they could suggest. I'm looking for a black stand with black glass with a middle shelf potentially for a soundbar.

Many thanks!

simonlewis's picture
RE: Sony 55HX853 Stand Nightmare

I have a stand for my tv with black glass, (see my system pics) & it seems to attract dust, so it could mean extra work for the cleaner in your house.

Oldboy's picture

Do you want the soundbar plinth that comes with the tv? If you can do without the plinth then why not wall mount the tv or use one of these:

http://www.theplasmacentre.com/tv-stands-and-av-racks/table-top-stands/tv05-table-top-stand.html?menu=hp_feature

The above link would enable you to put the tv on any stand you like but would mean losing the plinth, I wall mounted my 46HX853 and then bought an Atacama stand for my equipment which is far to big really but gives me plenty of room to add more equipment which I'm starting to do, the stand I bought would easily accomodate your tv but may not suit your style requirements but as it's on sale have a look (it's the Elara AV54) here:

http://store.atacama-audio.co.uk/c/tv-stands

There is another alternative on the same site as above that may interest you, the Elara AV1500 will be big enough and may suit your style requiremnts far better as it's available in a variety of finishes if you look at the options for it further down the page of the item.

Hope that's of some use to you.

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

No I can't wall mount the TV - its going in front of a big window. Even if I could I wouldn't want to in our lounge. I've seen both the Universtal table top stand and the Atacama Elara AV1500. I wanted to use the original plinth and I didn't like the Atcama stand. The top shelf and bottom shelf are wood where as the the BDI was 3 glass shelves. Also the middle shelf is clear not black.  But thanks for the suggestions.

RobinKidderminster's picture

So few offer room for decent centre speaker I found. Good luck

Yamaha V2065. MS Mezzo 5.1 Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD Live TV. SkyHD.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/lounge-hc-signature-update-bass-traps

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

simonlewis wrote:

I have a stand for my tv with black glass, (see my system pics) & it seems to attract dust, so it could mean extra work for the cleaner in your house.

Ditto

Oldboy's picture

DistortedVision wrote:

No I can't wall mount the TV - its going in front of a big window. Even if I could I wouldn't want to in our lounge. I've seen both the Universtal table top stand and the Atacama Elara AV1500. I wanted to use the original plinth and I didn't like the Atcama stand. The top shelf and bottom shelf are wood where as the the BDI was 3 glass shelves. Also the middle shelf is clear not black.  But thanks for the suggestions.

You obviously didn't look at the Elara AV1500 very closely...ALL the shelves are black glass with a choice of wood or metal finishes to the frame and the middle shelf is black glass also, there are many pictures showing this on the page of the product and detailing the options available for the rack. The top picture on the page is just one of many options that shows the cherry red woodern frame.

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

Nick_Shepherd's picture

I have an Alphason - ABR1100-WH as its white to match the TV and furniture although I'm not sure they make it like this anymore.....room for amp, bd player, sky box and discs.....may just fit the 55' Sony?

BenLaw's picture

Blok seems to fit your aesthetic desires, if there isn't a unit of the right size I believe they do custom units.

Slooper's picture

Hi,

You don't need to bother with finding a compatible stand for the HX853.  Sony themselves do a vertical stand for the HX853 series.  Just contact Sony and explain that you want the vertical stand for your 55" HX853, and they will order you one for £40 incl delivery.  The model number you want is SU-HX85L.  The 40" and 46" stand is SU-HX85M, so make sure you get your numbers correct!

You can't buy these stands instore, you have to get them directly from Sony.  I know because I had a 40HX853 and ordered this stand for mine, and it was on my doorstep in 3 days.

They are very high quality stands and ideal to get rid of that horrendous tilting one it comes with.  Whoever thought that stand was a good idea should be shot.  Nice idea in theory, but in practice a bloody nightmare!

Cheers, Jason

EDIT:  Whoops, just noticed you want to keep the plinth stand on.  Oh well, it was good info though wasn't it?

Actually, what I was opposed to was a 3rd party stand - I actually wanted a normal vertical stand but didn't realise Sony actually made one for the HX853 as like you say there is no information on their website.

Jason, you've given a curveball as now I'm in a dilemma.

The Bloc stand in black oak with black glass would be pretty much what I was looking for if I decided to keep the plinth. I've asked them to send me a swatch sample of the wood and a quote.

The vertical stand from Sony would mean I could get the Alpahson one above which also happens to be cheaper but I rather like it. The only issue is that the TV would overhang either side of the stand as it would be wider. I'm not sure asthetically how this would look. But as I mentioned above its going in front of the window so having a narrower stand will help with access to the window for drawing the curtains etc.

So thank you so much both of you. You've given me two solutions to the problem - I just need to decided between the two.
What a dilemma!

Jason,

Can you do me a favour please? Could you post a pic of your TV with the stand.
Also I was reading the WHF review - does the plinth not incorporate the speakers? I could solve this by getting the Sony HT-CT260 Sound Bar.

My main concern is with the stability because the TV is 129cm wide and the stand 110cm. So its around 5cm overhang on each side. My two sisters have 3 little monsters. I'm concerned one of them may knock the TV over as the edges will be exposed.

bigboss's picture

Here are some pics of the stand:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/tv-projector-classified-adverts/1711293-sale-sony-su-hx85m-stand-sony-40-46-hx853-tv.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/17776736-post759.html

Slooper's picture

Hi,

I have actually returned my Sony last week as it wasn't what I was looking for (I was primarily after a monitor/gaming TV).  However, the funny thing is the first link supplied by BigBoss above is the link to my classified advert on the AVForums for my stand!

So I'm sorry but I can't provide any pics of TV and stand together.

With regards to the speakers in the stand, I can't speak from personal opinion because I never used the plinth stand, but I have read a couple of reviews that say the plinth stand doesn't really improve sound that much.  In particular FlatpanelsHD reviews mentions weak bass, and midtones lacking punch and intensity.  They the go on to recommend seperate speakers as the best option.

I'm sure there are more owners on here who could tell you more.

Is the stand like this one thats on most Sony Bravia TVs?

I don't like the ones with a oval / round base.

Please tell me what issue you had with using it as a monitor / gaming. As it happens I have setup another HP ProLiant N40 MicroSever with a silent fanless Asus AMD Radeon HD 6450 which is connected the wall mount Sony 32EX503 which works great. I love it and was planning on doing the same with another one connected the 55HX853.

Slooper's picture

I found that the TV had a tendency to drag/smear blacks when gaming.  I know a lot of VA panels have a tendency to do this (my Samsung R74 I had previously also did this to a lesser extent), but with the Sony the motion was so good I think this dragging black issue became all the more apparent.  I tried to live wth it for a week or so, but I was focusing more on looking for this than enjoyng the games, so I decided to return the TV.

However, saying that, I have discussed this over on AVForums and the owners of the 46" and 55" versions say they don't see any black smearing at all when gaming on it, and they are more than happy with it performance with games.  

I then did a bit of digging online and a forum (avmagazine.it) mentions that the 40" version has a different panel type (backed up by actual photos) that shows the pixel structure of the 40" version is much more like a "herringbone" structure of classic S-PVA, compared to the squarer pixels of the PSA panels shown in the 46" and 55" versions.  Also backing up this, is the fact that the 40" version has a power rating of B, compared to the rating of A for it's larger brothers.

So saying all that, I can only assume that the 40" version has a different panel that is more prone to black smearing, that the 46" and 55" variants. 

Pages