133 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Faulty KDL55HX923

Given what you've seen and heard so far does this sound like a satisfactory response. Some buyers have had three sets so far all with the same problem. Are they really really unlucky or is it a bigger problem than they are willing to let on about. The dealers and others think it's a defect in the process and some TVs only have a problem on one side so how can they continue with this stance?

andy_s's picture

Sony originally thought (and still do) that this has happened to a select few, i firmly believe as do many others (check the Sony forums as well) that its more widespread than they would have liked, people that have exchanged their sets already will still end up with the same issue as nothing has changed yet,

what we are all waiting on is to see if they change the bonding process, then things should start looking up.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Sony have said that the issue has been identified as an adhesive curing rate problem between the polarizer and the glass and that through research they have identified sets manufactured after June 15th as being fixed. Issue is that the sets are still the same - they do not seem to have changed anything. All they have done is do some quality checks.

So was it a curing rate problem and if so have they changed the process?

Have they fixed the sets?

andy_s's picture

this mis-conception about june 15th has nothing to do with sets after that date being fixed, the original post about that was to say that not all sets were affected before that date.

as of yet nothing has changed and the investigation is still on going.

indeed it is  believed by Sony to be a curing rate problem, and in my view would not have been a problem at all if they stuck the glue in the right place!, and no so far the process has not changed.

and no they have not fixed the sets.

Clare Newsome's picture

We're not happy with The extent of Sony's response, either - will pursue next week; review remains unpublished online for now.

Group Marketing & PR Manager, Computers Unlimited.

Brands represented include Astell&Kern, Audioengine, B&O Play, Canton, Flexson for SONOS and SONOS

TWITTER: @ClareNewsome

andy_s's picture

Hi clare,

what i said in my last post is correct, Sony are still in talks about this now, not so long ago people were led to believe the new batch in August would be the end of it but thats unlikely to be the case, whats even more baffling is Sony are still distributing replacement sets and they are the same!, i have told Sony what to do with the Adhesive process ( if indeed the diagnosis is accurate) that would in my opinion solve this, they must know this, however this may take time and each subsequent day the discussions are getting more and more prevailant with frustrated customers that want answers and satifactory replacement sets.

is that too much to ask.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

so shall we all chip into the kitty to pay for a big shovel to send sony PR? they've dug themselves so far in a few more feet won't hurt.

do they think the staff at What HiFi cannot read other forums???? obviously.

you only need to spend 10 minutes on the avforum HX923 thread or sony's own forum to see that people have been ringing that so called helpline for weeks and in most cases the staff claim to not know anything, or they pass people from pillar to post.

As for "its only affected a small number of sets" does that actually translate to "we've only sold a small number of these sets due to this issue getting so much web time on the forums...so actually of the small number we've sold all are affected....."

if it only affected a small number of sets why is it customer like me and the many others on avforums, or on here or over on sony's own forum have been sent replacement sets that have the SAME issue and that was after sony said the replacements would be OK.....wake up Sony the replacements are NOT OK so from the "cheap seats" where we are all sitting this small number of affected sets seems to be ALL of the stock you have unless for some odd reason you don't want to send the good ones out???????

ps: lets not even mention that owners all over europe are now starting to find these forums and confirm same issues, as have our comrades over the pond on the US equivalent forums. Sony must literally have sold MILLIONS of HX92x series TV's already if this large community of global unhappy owners have the small number of affected sets. I know lightning doesnt strike twice but we must literally be covered in burns.

I appreciate PR departments have to give measured responses but there's dodging a question and then there just looking like a bunch of liars. Sony you're looking like the latter right now i'm afraid and I'm a Sony fan!!!!!

it's friday and time to have a beer i think the one good thing about the HX923 is that if it was perfect i'd be watching it like a zombie right now but instead over course of this week i'd made some new online friends and we've all had a good chat, so the HX923's marketing slogan (http://www.sony.co.uk/product/tv-139-55-lcd/kdl-55hx923) should not be:

"Discover Peak Picture Performance in Full HD 2D and 3D"

instead they should have gone for

"Discover new friends online and save money by not having the TV on - Free 5 year warranty (that's how long it will take the glue to cure"

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Hi Clare/Andy - have you had a good response from Sony yet or are they dragging their heels hoping that it will all go away quietly if they say nothing?

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

got my 2nd replacement set from Sony.

worse than first. had enough now of all of this so sent it back for full refund.

very very disappointed in sony putting up with the "good enough" mantra....its not good enough at this price level.

very very impressed with the Sony dealer they have been excellent and completely supportive. sony dealer has told me they've now told sony they are not will to sell any more of these models as they are just wasting too much of their time. as of today they've got 8 more sets to send back!!!

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

hello all,this thread is really quite shocking...some early batch product launch`s suffer the odd teething problem,but its clear from this and other forums,that its more than that.Iv been a sony tv nut all of my life and were currently looking to update our brillant but sorely outdated  sony 44" rear projection tv..so it really came down to the HX923 55" or the samsung D8000 55"...

now as stated the samsung has suffered a fair amount of issues around banding/clouding ect...reading hours of posts on av forums/samsung owners sites ect,the D 7000/8000 some QC issues aswell..but it seems its fairly mixed..a bit "pot luck" i think...but samsungs attitude to these early reports seems to differ from that of sony in that they seem to recognise that if "the customer is not happy" then a replacement set is forthcoming..whether thats directly or through the retailer(J.L,robert wyte,total digital,richer sounds ect),their are some people who have gone through 4 d8000 sets before they are satisfied...

now whilst this is obviously not ideal,there doesnt appear to have been much quibbling from samsung,now contast that with the sony situation and it seems they are very much behind the curve on customer service.

Im not sony-bashing here,i love their tv`s.......we`v seen both hx923 and d8000 on full input demos and they are both stunning...the sony did have right hand crease and the samsung did have slight top corner clouding but for £1k more with corporate customer service seemingly stuck a decade behind some other brands...the aftersales issue becomes the tipping point...which is a shame because iv only ever owned sony tv`s.

I hope everybody gets a good resouloution with this..

cheers

andre

Andy Clough's picture

WorriedTVBuyer wrote:

Hi Clare/Andy - have you had a good response from Sony yet or are they dragging their heels hoping that it will all go away quietly if they say nothing?

No, still not had a satisfactory response, Sony say they're "still investigating the issue". In the meantime we've published our review online, but added a link to this thread and noted the comments made by owners.

Editor-in-Chief of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and whathifi.com

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

another sony store employee over on avforum checked all of their HX923's yesterday and has decided all have to go back, think they had 8 x 55" in stock and 6 x 46". based on the various forums its difficult to find anyone who's keeping theirs.

my dealer has had every single one they sold returned (and all of the replacements)

there is another batch of sets due in the UK in August which some owners/ex-owners (me included) are hoping will be fixed so we can re-purchase. if this next batch are just more of the same its going to be a real shame and a bit embarassing for sony.

not sure where i'm going to buy one from though as my current dealer has told me it is their intention not to order or sell this model anymore due to all of the returns and lost sales not to mention their time its wasted.

redbullmaster's picture
RE: Faulty KDL55HX923 RE: Faulty KDL55HX923

Andy Clough wrote:

WorriedTVBuyer wrote:

No, still not had a satisfactory response, they say they're "still investigating the issue". In the meantime we've published our review online, but added a link to this thread and noted the comments made by owners.

Hi Andy,

If you don't get a satisfactory response, maybe an update in the magazine would also be a good idea to inform potential owners of this issue.

Andy Clough's picture
RE: Faulty KDL55HX923 RE: Faulty KDL55HX923

I'll pass the suggestion on to my magazine colleagues.

Editor-in-Chief of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and whathifi.com

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

i think andy/clare said WHF are doing a review of the 55" model and its competitors so that would be a good chance to mention the current farce that's going on in terms of us owners/ex-owners. mind reading the forums all of the competition sets (d8000 and vt30) seem to have their own foibles and rapid return rates as well. all in all 2011 doesn't seem to a brilliant year for high end TV's.

seems to be a total lack of focus on getting the basics right...i.e can the TV display good quailty uniform picture in 2D and more focus on can we pack in lots of gimmicky features that noone wants and use that as the reason its our flagship model then charge a premium for it.

surely from all of the returns and complaints manufacturers can see that you can pack in all of the "IP TV", "3D" stuff you like but if the TV cannot display a decent image and at the premium end a damn near perfect image (usual allowances for content being viewed) then people won't even get to the features as they'll have boxed it back up and be asking for a refund.

Its a real shame pioneer didn't hang about in the TV market and progress to LED at least they seemed to "get it" when it came to building a premium panel.

Pages