133 posts / 0 new
Last post
Clare Newsome's picture
RE: Faulty KDL55HX923

Southernsmoggy wrote:

be very very interested to hear if the What HiFi team can get Sony to make any kind of statement, i'd also love to see the What HiFi team re-test the hx923, specifically the 55" to see what they feel about the issues.

As Andy notes above, we're being persistent. And yes, we're planning to test the 55in version, as well as looking at additional 46in versions. We will, of course, report any problems (just as we did with backlight bleed issues on earlier-generations Sonys: again, like this apparent new issue, there's no consistency on whether/how each set is affected)

Group Marketing & PR Manager, Computers Unlimited.

Brands represented include Astell&Kern, Audioengine, B&O Play, Canton, Flexson for SONOS and SONOS

TWITTER: @ClareNewsome

andy_s's picture

southernsmoggy,

i can see your not giving up yet! lol, personally and this may make no difference going by what Sony say, is i would hold out for the August batch and see if anything changes it seems at the moment everyone is getting replacements from the same June batch which is half the trouble with this at the moment!,

good on you for giving it another go.

catch ya later!!

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

as the old saying goes...."in for a penny in for a pound...."

.....ok 3000 GBP in this case :boohoo:

from what sony support are saying they don't expect the august batch to have been built any differently at all they'll just have gone through additional QA checks to weed out the really bad ones....which kind of implies logically the just "bad" or "not too bad" ones are boxed up and shipped out....i've definitely got a "not too bad" one....but is "not too bad" good enough at this price? if i wanted that i'd have just gone to Tesco and spent 500 GBP on a set

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

good on you clare for keep this going with Sony!

i recall a while back What HiFi re-reviewed its 5 star standing on the samsung d8000 as the d7000 ran it so close it made the d8000 look over priced.

....i'm still a sony fan but even i feel that maybe what hifi (to make sony PR/marketing take notice) could do with a re-review and downgrade of your 5 start rating on the HX923 given the massive amount of unhappy customers (see this forum / sonys forum and the avforum site) as a long term what hifi reader i don't feel your recent review refelects market reality....i do base a lot of my buying decisions or certainly base my product selection/narrowing down on your reviews and right now due to the issues out here in customer land no matter how good your review set it doesn't deserve the 5 stars any more sadly.

andy_s's picture

Indeed!, but if one is going to spend top dollar then really you should expect nothin less than top product, its not good enough to expect people to pay a high end price for a Tesco quality telly!!,

oh, having said that, tesco telly's are probably better at the moment!.

Clare Newsome's picture

Southernsmoggy wrote:

good on you clare for keep this going with Sony!

i recall a while back What HiFi re-reviewed its 5 star standing on the samsung d8000 as the d7000 ran it so close it made the d8000 look over priced.

....i'm still a sony fan but even i feel that maybe what hifi (to make sony PR/marketing take notice) could do with a re-review and downgrade of your 5 start rating on the HX923 given the massive amount of unhappy customers (see this forum / sonys forum and the avforum site) as a long term what hifi reader i don't feel your recent review refelects market reality....i do base a lot of my buying decisions or certainly base my product selection/narrowing down on your reviews and right now due to the issues out here in customer land no matter how good your review set it doesn't deserve the 5 stars any more sadly.

We do indeed review our ratings on a regular basis. We can't - obviously - amend our review to say we saw things we didn't; we can only report our own findings.They can/may change if we see any sign of defects on future Sony sets from this range (at any size).

However - and again, we've done this before - in the meantime, when it goes online we can flag up on the review that there are some reports of problems, plus link from the review to this thread. In that way any potential purchaser will be aware of the situation. The review is due online shortly - we'll make sure those amends are made, and that Sony are aware of them.

EDIT - We've decided not to put our review online until we get an official response from Sony. In the meantime, this thread will, of course, continue. Keep any feedback/info coming.

Brands represented include Astell&Kern, Audioengine, B&O Play, Canton, Flexson for SONOS and SONOS

Andy Clough's picture

To add to Clare's comments, I had an email from Sony's UK PR company today saying "we are dealing with your request and will be in touch shortly".

As soon as I have that response I'll post it here, and link to the review when it's online.

Editor-in-Chief of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and whathifi.com

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

excellent reply i bet you loved that one! ROFL

andy_s's picture

Andy,

that amounts to the same as "were busy burying our heads in the sand", does'nt it!!!

zameerisgreat's picture

Clare, has the team reviewed the 55Hx925 for the September issue ?

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Hi Andy and Clare,

As an avid magazine and site reader, I registered to tell you how much we in Sweden appreciate your efforts for getting in touch with Sony regarding this "crease" issue.

I don't wear hats, but hats off to you nonetheless Sir and Madam.

Regards,

A disappointed buyer who was planning to enjoy their TV over the holidays

Clare Newsome's picture

zameerisgreat wrote:

Clare, has the team reviewed the 55Hx925 for the September issue ?

Nope. We've got a review of two smaller Sony sets in the next issue (on sale next week; sent off to subscribers today) - Sony KDL-26EX320 and Sony KDL-40EX524. In terms of larger/premium sets, we've got a review of the Panasonic TX-P65VT30 in our Ultimate Guide to High End, which comes free with UK print edition and to subscribers.

Can't see the big Sony on the list for October issue (which despite the date is on sale in late August!), though we have got the Samsung UE55D8000 in for review for that edition already - should make an interesting head to head with the 55in Sony when we get it.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

yep the UE55D8000 was on my shopping list before the 55HX923 but the owners thread for that set is even more of a collection of tales of woe than the sony thread. over on avforums.com the d8000 thread is 422 replies long and has had nearly 28000 views.

anyway all the stories and pictures of horrible clouding and banding(not to mention light leaks) put me right off that set.

maybe in your review you should do an anlysis of each model, see if you can extract from the suppliers how many they sold of each and then what %age were sent back! Smile

Andy Clough's picture

Right, it being 5.25pm on a Friday, I've finally had a response from Sony.

Their UK spokesperson says: "A small number of sets are affected, but it's not a broader product issue. If you think you have an affected set, please call the Sony customer services helpline on 0844 846 6555." They will discuss the issue with you and (hopefully) offer a solution.

Editor-in-Chief of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and whathifi.com

andy_s's picture

Hi Andy,

gosh we know all that already!, they not saying much at all are they, i know they have engineers from 3 different countrys looking into this at the moment, my suggestion for the Adhesive fix taken on board, but dont know at this point if its the way forward for a fix or not.

Andy

Pages