21 posts / 0 new
Last post
SiUK's picture
Synology DS213J vs Synology DS214?

Hello,

I was going to buy a Synology DS213J today but noticed that there is a Synology DS214 out at £225 (actually cheaper that the DS213). The Synology DS213J is £159.99, so the difference is £65. Do you think paying the extra £65 for the DS214 would be worth it over the DS213J? I will be using the NAS for streaming my FLAC music library to Hi-Fis around the house, and also DVDs to DLNA TVs, plus backing up of files.  It will be accessed by a maximum of 3 devices simultaneously. I'm going to buy 2 Western Digital Red 3TB Desktop SATA Hard Drives for whichever NAS I get. I detest fan noise, so the noise level from the boxes would be a factor.

audioaffair's picture
RE: Synology DS213J vs Synology DS214?

Hi not sure about actual fan noise ratings, but if it helps, their software and support is superb, especially the i pad app, for playing back music and browsing the drive. I use this to stream over Airplay.

npoguy's picture

SiUK wrote:

Hello,

I was going to buy a Synology DS213J today but noticed that there is a Synology DS214 out at £225 (actually cheaper that the DS213). The Synology DS213J is £159.99, so the difference is £65. Do you think paying the extra £65 for the DS214 would be worth it over the DS213J? I will be using the NAS for streaming my FLAC music library to Hi-Fis around the house, and also DVDs to DLNA TVs, plus backing up of files.  It will be accessed by a maximum of 3 devices simultaneously. I'm going to buy 2 Western Digital Red 3TB Desktop SATA Hard Drives for whichever NAS I get. I detest fan noise, so the noise level from the boxes would be a factor.

i can't help on comparing the two, but I have the 213j and I can tell you tha the fan noise is virtually non-existent. If you're more than a couple of feet away, you'll never know it's there. 

Edit for typing error 

SiUK's picture

Okay, thanks. Think I'll just go for the DS214 then...suck it and see if you like. And it's black, which I prefer Wink It will be in my living room, in the corner next to the modem and router, so the fan noise has to be at an absolute minimum, especially as the living room is also my main music listening area.

SiUK's picture

Think I'll slow down a mo.

The DS213j:

Single core CPU

2 x USB 2.0

17 dB(A)
Power Consumption    19.82W (Access)
3.65W (HDD Hibernation)  

The DS214:

Dual core CPU

2 x USB 3.0

19.9 dB(A)
Power Consumption    22.64W (Access)
9.12W (HDD Hibernation)

So the 214 has a better CPU, USB 3, but uses more power, especially in hibernation mode, and has a louder fan than the DS213j. Perhaps I'll go back to the DS213j after all. Quieter, less power.

For people that have the DS213j, does it 'serve' without drop outs? If I was to stream a DVD to the TV downstairs and to play music on my M-CR610 upstairs and someone was also watching a DVD on the bedroom TV would it cope with all that at once?

AnotherJoe's picture

The DS214 is a dual-core - the DS213J is a single core - so if you want the NAS to do any video transcoding you will want the DS214

SiUK's picture

Hmm, I was wondering whether that would be the case. Suddenly thought, I'm running Serviio on my quad core desktop PC at the moment, so hence no effort streaming films and music simultaneously So do you think the DS213j would fall over transcoding anything? Aside of the transcoding, would it cope with simultaneously streaming music to multiple devices?

I was just working out the power consumption, and possible costs between the two..because you have to nowadays  Smile

The DS213j would use approx 32 kW per year, which, at around 16p ish per kWh, so works out to under £5.50, approx. per year.

The DS214 would use approx 80 kW per year, which, at around 16p ish per kWh works out to just under £13, approx. per year.

So basically the DS214 costs about 14.5p per week / £7.50 per year more than the DS213j to leave running 24/7. So I'd be using some of what I have been saving each year by switching stuff off and ditching unnecessary 'powered' items, like radio alarm clocks. Smile

So just the noise to consider. I know some people say that 20dB isn't audible or that it doesn't bother them, but I always find that it's only when you turn a fan off after it has been on for a while that you realise just how audible it is. It's the absence of the noise when they are switched off that highlights how much they contribute to the background noise when they're on...if you know what I mean.

AnotherJoe's picture

The DS213J will have no chance at video transcoding.

The DS214 might just be able to transcode DVD quality (576P) - though I wouldnt bank on it.

If video transcoding is important to you - then you will need the DS214+ which has a dualcore atom CPU at 1.6GHZ and hardware decoding for h264. It is powerful enough to transcode 1080p and 720p streams simultaneously and is available for £276 from dabs.

OR either of these 2

- Make sure your video formats are always in the format your tv supports (most likely .VOB or MPEG2, divx) so you dont need to transcode.

- Buy a streamer like a WDTV Live, and have that play the videos (again you wont need to transcode).

SiUK's picture

AnotherJoe wrote:

The DS213J will have no chance at video transcoding.

Okay, thanks for that. All of my DVD rips are vob / mpeg2 so the transcoding side isn't actually critical. And besides, the Marantz UD player can handle the other file formats via the media player if needed. And I think the new Samsung TV I have just got might be able to as well.

Was thinking about future requirements and getting the most for my money now but also considering escalating costs...especially as I've spent a pretty packet lately. My partner in crime suggests reining in the spending a bit now so perhaps I'll get the DS213J after all and see how I fare with that. I'll have another brain chomp.

npoguy's picture

SiUK wrote:

Hmm, I was wondering whether that would be the case. Suddenly thought, I'm running Serviio on my quad core desktop PC at the moment, so hence no effort streaming films and music simultaneously So do you think the DS213j would fall over transcoding anything? Aside of the transcoding, would it cope with simultaneously streaming music to multiple devices?

I was just working out the power consumption, and possible costs between the two..because you have to nowadays  Smile

The DS213j would use approx 32 kW per year, which, at around 16p ish per kWh, so works out to under £5.50, approx. per year.

The DS214 would use approx 80 kW per year, which, at around 16p ish per kWh works out to just under £13, approx. per year.

So basically the DS214 costs about 14.5p per week / £7.50 per year more than the DS213j to leave running 24/7. So I'd be using some of what I have been saving each year by switching stuff off and ditching unnecessary 'powered' items, like radio alarm clocks. Smile

So just the noise to consider. I know some people say that 20dB isn't audible or that it doesn't bother them, but I always find that it's only when you turn a fan off after it has been on for a while that you realise just how audible it is. It's the absence of the noise when they are switched off that highlights how much they contribute to the background noise when they're on...if you know what I mean.

I've had mine running continuously since August with no down time and no drops while listening to music.  I run it by USB to the NAD D3020.  As for noise, I have to put my ear almost on it to hear much of anything.  I don't want to say you can't hear anything, because that's obviously extremely important to you, but I wouldn't even know it's there if I wasn't looking straight at it.  

SiUK's picture

Hello again. Thanks for further info Smile 

You say that you've had your Synology NAS running 24/7 since August. Is this tnrough choice or is it because the scheduled on / off doesn't do as it should? I read about the sleep mode, but I thought they could also be set to turn off (say during the night) and on (in the morning for example) instead of just left to hibernate? Is it possible?

npoguy's picture

By choice, due mostly to laziness! I haven't fiddled with many of the options, so...now that you reminded me, I'll give it a try!

npoguy's picture

BTW, I went in to change the power settings and also noticed that the fan is set to "quiet mode".  It says that "fan operates at a lower speed, but the unit may run warmer".  I went over and touched it and isn't warm at all--it's on the shelf of an entertainment center with about 10 inches of clearance all the way around.  

SiUK's picture

Hey, thanks, that's terrific info. 'Quiet mode' sounds just the ticket for me and my ears  Smile I'll be buying a NAS on Monday or Tuesday now. Something else to play with Wink Well, I've been ripping my music to flac and my PC is now creaking with them all :grin:

npoguy's picture

I've loved mine--I had the 212 prior to the 213 (got the chance for a free upgrade a few months after getting the 212).  I hope I'm not leading you astray regarding the noise--you'll have to judge for yourself and report back.  It's really just a very low hum that I can't hear more than a foot or so away from the unit.  I can't imagine a fan running any quieter, but I'll be interested in your impression!

professorhat's picture

SiUK wrote:

Hello again. Thanks for further info Smile 

You say that you've had your Synology NAS running 24/7 since August. Is this tnrough choice or is it because the scheduled on / off doesn't do as it should? I read about the sleep mode, but I thought they could also be set to turn off (say during the night) and on (in the morning for example) instead of just left to hibernate? Is it possible?

Scheduled power off and on works fine - I use it to shut down my 214+ at 1am and turn back on at 6am every day. Also, this used to sit just behind our sofa and I can't say I could ever hear it.

The owls are not what they seem...

Pages