Have your say & ask the experts!

What speaker cables ?

36 replies [Last post]
Joined: 25 Jul 2011
Posts: 1858
RE: What speaker cables ?

Mickfromdenmark, hi, and you're lucky living in one of the nicest countries on the planet. Cr*p weather, but!

 

Anyway, have a look here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/why-some-speaker-cables-sound-different-in-laymans-terms?page=17 and you'll see why many doubt the influence of cables.

nopiano's picture
Offline
Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 1060
RE: What speaker cables ?

Mick, I fear that even in the unlikely event anyone else has heard your combination (and your speakers are very new - I heard their predecessors) they still may not share the same sound aims.  I find the jet tweeter quite smooth, so a bit puzzled why you are unhappy.

I would want to consider changing cables only after mounting your new speakers on proper stands, as I take it they are currently on top of other speakers.  You might try angling yours more or less, so you are off axis.. You might try connecting the terminals of he Dynaudios together, to "short" them out, as this will limit cone movements. Otherwise they might be singing along!

Do try this before wasting money on more cables...

__________________

Hi-Fi: Krell KAV-300cd, Michell TecnoDec/RB250/Grado Prestige Black1, KAV-300i amp, Transparent balanced interconnects and bi-wire to Sonus faber Concerto grand piano speakers, Nakamichi ZX-7 cassette deck, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Hitachi FT-5500 and Sony S570ES tuners, BCD Engineering stand, RA Powerlink, Chord powerchord, Grado SR60i cans.

AV: Sony Bravia KDL-32EX503 telly, BDP-S370 player with QED HDMI. Currently unused: Denon AVR-1705, DVD-1710, KEF KHT1005.2 

Mickfromdenmark's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Feb 2013
Posts: 9
RE: What speaker cables ?

nopiano wrote:

Mick, I fear that even in the unlikely event anyone else has heard your combination (and your speakers are very new - I heard their predecessors) they still may not share the same sound aims.  I find the jet tweeter quite smooth, so a bit puzzled why you are unhappy.

I would want to consider changing cables only after mounting your new speakers on proper stands, as I take it they are currently on top of other speakers.  You might try angling yours more or less, so you are off axis.. You might try connecting the terminals of he Dynaudios together, to "short" them out, as this will limit cone movements. Otherwise they might be singing along!

Do try this before wasting money on more cables...

 

i use Dynaudio 3 stands as written in my first post Smile and yes they do sound very i want a cable thay grants better perspective and more dynamic bass

__________________

Mick B

Captain Duff's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 125
RE: What speaker cables ?

But Mick, how can a length of wire add extra bass?

__________________

Thorens 166 BC MkVI turntable, Origin Live Alliance tonearm, Goldring 2200 cartridge; Opera Consonance 120 Linear CD player; Denon DNP-720AE media player; Sugden Mystro amplifier; MS Aviano 8 speakers.

nopiano's picture
Offline
Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 1060
RE: What speaker cables ?

Mickfromdenmark wrote:

i use Dynaudio 3 stands as written in my first post Smile and yes they do sound very i want a cable thay grants better perspective and more dynamic bass

Apologies, I didn't read it as speaker "stands" - and when I googled Dynaudio 3 I only got speakers.  Hence I imagined you were using those as stands!  Do try tweaking the toe-in though.  

If that is no help, then I'd suggest a trial purchase from someone who ofers home listening.  Does Russ Andrews export to Denmark?

http://www.russandrews.com

Something like Kimber 4TC might do the trick.

__________________

Hi-Fi: Krell KAV-300cd, Michell TecnoDec/RB250/Grado Prestige Black1, KAV-300i amp, Transparent balanced interconnects and bi-wire to Sonus faber Concerto grand piano speakers, Nakamichi ZX-7 cassette deck, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Hitachi FT-5500 and Sony S570ES tuners, BCD Engineering stand, RA Powerlink, Chord powerchord, Grado SR60i cans.

AV: Sony Bravia KDL-32EX503 telly, BDP-S370 player with QED HDMI. Currently unused: Denon AVR-1705, DVD-1710, KEF KHT1005.2 

Mickfromdenmark's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Feb 2013
Posts: 9
RE: What speaker cables ?

nopiano wrote:

Mickfromdenmark wrote:

i use Dynaudio 3 stands as written in my first post Smile and yes they do sound very i want a cable thay grants better perspective and more dynamic bass

Apologies, I didn't read it as speaker "stands" - and when I googled Dynaudio 3 I only got speakers.  Hence I imagined you were using those as stands!  Do try tweaking the toe-in though.  

If that is no help, then I'd suggest a trial purchase from someone who ofers home listening.  Does Russ Andrews export to Denmark?

http://www.russandrews.com

Something like Kimber 4TC might do the trick.

 

Yes i can buy those kimber cables here in Denmark so i will call and ask for a demo set for a trial at home Smile other recommendations are still welcome, and no im am not looking for more bass i just want the extra performance i know i can squeeze out my system Smile to the nay sayers, you can just stick to the common electric cables ....  puzzled

__________________

Mick B

Singslinger's picture
Offline
Joined: 31 Jul 2010
Posts: 658
RE: What speaker cables ?

Hi Mick, if you liked the improvement in your system with Nordost cables, then maybe go for that, or if too expensive, perhaps check the secondhand market?

ellisdj's picture
Offline
Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1094
RE: What speaker cables ?

If you want to squeeze more performance out - treat your room, then make changes like cables. 

Dont have to go mad with the treatment - behind head, side walls in the right spots and you will hear your system like never before!! 

__________________

Meridian G61R, HD621, Bryston 9BSST

Optimised Audio PC - J River / JPlay / Custom Full Linear Power Supply

Panasonic 65VT65, Marantz UD7007, HIFi Racks Podium Reference

Monitor Audio GX100, GXC150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA (set with hard knee house curve)

JCAT USB and Sata, Graham Slee Spatia (SC) Graham Slee Lautus Digital / Analogue IC x 9

ifor's picture
Offline
Joined: 3 Dec 2002
Posts: 874
RE: What speaker cables ?

ellisdj wrote:

If you want to squeeze more performance out - treat your room, then make changes like cables. 

Dont have to go mad with the treatment - behind head, side walls in the right spots and you will hear your system like never before!! 

Ellisdj, I'm surprised you didn't recommend a home loan of the Graham Slee Spatia speaker cables.  I know you have been very pleased with yours and they've certainly won over some Tellurium Q users.

__________________

Source 1) "Inspired" Manticore Mantra turntable c/w Rega RB 301 arm, Goldring 1042 MM Cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M phono stage, Graham Slee CuSat 50 interconnect

Source 2) Cyrus CD8 SE CD player

Source 3) iTunes (ALAC), iMac, Devolo Homeplugs, Apple TV3, Toslink, Arcam rDAC

Source 4) Technics SL-7 linear tracking turntable.

Roksan Kandy L3 amp, Spendor A5 speakers.

Other rooms: more Airport Expresses and Homeplugs with Denon AV system and Denon Mini system. 

Mickfromdenmark's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Feb 2013
Posts: 9
RE: What speaker cables ?

Singslinger wrote:
Hi Mick, if you liked the improvement in your system with Nordost cables, then maybe go for that, or if too expensive, perhaps check the secondhand market?

they Cost  6000$ so not inside my budget range.  More suggestions not advice ón how to place the speakers.....

 

__________________

Mick B

Exoticsounds's picture
Offline
Joined: 1 Jan 2013
Posts: 69
RE: What speaker cables ?
lindsayt's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Apr 2011
Posts: 974
RE: What speaker cables ?

The homegrown audio cables would be an interesting choice as they would cost more than the Rotel amplifer for a 3m pair.

lindsayt's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Apr 2011
Posts: 974
RE: What speaker cables ?

Mick, you could always buy something like some 762 strand off ebay for about £15 for the length that you require. And use this as a benchmark for any more expensive cables you want to compare against in your system.

sbrads's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 May 2011
Posts: 11
RE: What speaker cables ?

My experiences FWIW....

I stopped messing around with speaker cables many years ago, the reason being I found cables (Naim) that suited my system after trying about 4 name brands and a few experiments with ordinary mains cable.  Huge differences between all of them.  Cables probably have improved over the years so there's not as big differences now, but if you can't hear the difference between a heavily stranded cable and single core there's a problem, probably hearing or speaker quality.  I've always wanted to try 15mm copper pipe but one has to stop somewhere.

I never could hear hardly any difference between interconnects though.  I borrowed silver ones once and they had a bit more upper treble but not what I would call an improvement.  I found a huge reduction in headphone sound quality when using a coiled extension lead - all the space vanished, a closed-in sound resulting.

 

BigH's picture
Offline
Joined: 29 Dec 2012
Posts: 3300
RE: What speaker cables ?

I would look at changing your amp. before spending loads of money on cables which at best will only tweak the sound, Rotel have a rep for being a bit harsh.