117 posts / 0 new
Last post
WishTree's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 40 min ago
Joined: 18/05/2010 - 22:51
Posts: 1018
RE: Holy mackerel! Devialet are trickling down!

DocG wrote:

Changing subject, are you still happy with the Stradas? I'm anxious to hear a pair, but there is just no demo anywhere near (I mean not less than 240 km from where I live...).

In my head, 170 after few months and at a good bragain price will be a keeper, IMO. I love the concept of streamer, DAC and pre into one box (which is what I am doing with Oppo 105 - and this is the best way to ensure all is in place and no special tuning is needed). If you also add a capable Power amp to it then there is nothing not to like in it!!

Strada - IMO, it is an engineering marvel, above 200HZ, the sound is truly transparent and is shockingly close some much more expensive speakers I have heard. Also, I must warn you, if you are not used Magnepan or other non boxy speakers then these come as a very different sound. It took me time to appreciate what they are doing. Though the speakers claim to go above 80HZ, I think there is not so much steam upto 200HZ. High frequency sounds very similar to KEF 201/2 which I had for some time (and those would be my preferred box speakers)

Do listen to them possibly with a home demo atleast for a week. Now there is a newer version with more efficient design as you really need a powerful amp for original versions to make them very loud. I would pair these with Pathos amplifications if possible to make them sing really well Smile

DocG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 01/05/2012 - 19:47
Posts: 1040
RE: Holy mackerel! Devialet are trickling down!

WishTree wrote:

DocG wrote:

Changing subject, are you still happy with the Stradas? I'm anxious to hear a pair, but there is just no demo anywhere near (I mean not less than 240 km from where I live...).

Strada - IMO, it is an engineering marvel, above 200HZ, the sound is truly transparent and is shockingly close some much more expensive speakers I have heard. Also, I must warn you, if you are not used Magnepan or other non boxy speakers then these come as a very different sound. It took me time to appreciate what they are doing. Though the speakers claim to go above 80HZ, I think there is not so much steam upto 200HZ. High frequency sounds very similar to KEF 201/2 which I had for some time (and those would be my preferred box speakers)

That is good! So far, the only box speakers I liked were Harbeths (P3ESR, M30 and SHL5), my benchmark being Maggie 1.7s. Maybe I could contact the AG distributor directly (in the Netherlands), and ask for a home demo.

quad2905's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 day ago
Joined: 17/05/2013 - 13:19
Posts: 4
RE: Holy mackerel! Devialet are trickling down!

The D-Premier can do amazing things with some ESLs, at least.

I have Quad 2905s and was looking for an amplifier to reveal their full potential. Driven by the D-Premier they move onto a different planet and I was hooked from the first listen.

I bought one and have never looked back. I can easily drive the ESLs to full output (and beyond into protection) with the D-Premier output software limiter set at 80 WPC.

I'm happy to say that this system is the end of the road for me - no more upgrades, just wonderful music.

DocG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 01/05/2012 - 19:47
Posts: 1040
RE: Holy mackerel! Devialet are trickling down!

quad2905 wrote:

The D-Premier can do amazing things with some ESLs, at least.

I have Quad 2905s and was looking for an amplifier to reveal their full potential. Driven by the D-Premier they move onto a different planet and I was hooked from the first listen.

I bought one and have never looked back. I can easily drive the ESLs to full output (and beyond into protection) with the D-Premier output software limiter set at 80 WPC.

I'm happy to say that this system is the end of the road for me - no more upgrades, just wonderful music.

Thanks for sharing! I guess it all comes to the speakers' lowest impedance drop (which is 4 Ohm for the Quads, if I'm well informed). Sadly the 2905s are too large for my room...

oldric_naubhoff's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 11/03/2011 - 23:54
Posts: 1166
RE: Holy mackerel! Devialet are trickling down!

DocG wrote:

Thanks for sharing! I guess it all comes to the speakers' lowest impedance drop (which is 4 Ohm for the Quads, if I'm well informed). Sadly the 2905s are too large for my room...

yes, you are. Quad ESLs with concentric rings (which means all but the original 57s) have benign impedance plot due to ancillary delaying passive circuitry (resistors). but even the 57s fall to about 1 Ohm in high treble region, which is very natural for an ESL type speaker.

@ quad 2905; if you had Martin Logans, King Sound, Pio Sound or Sanders your Devialet wouldn't feel as comfortable.

matt49's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 52 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 1944
RE: Holy mackerel! Devialet are trickling down!

Yeah, and they do those road tax disk thingies.

(I'll get my coat ...)

The screen door slams, Mary's dress waves ...

quad2905's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 day ago
Joined: 17/05/2013 - 13:19
Posts: 4
RE: Holy mackerel! Devialet are trickling down!

Indeed, if I had other speakers, they may well not work as well with the D-Premier. But I don't and I likely never will - not after hearing how the 2905 enters the realms of the frankly jaw-dropping with this amplifier. 

 

The 2905s arrived years before the D-Premier did and won't be leaving - except temporarily for the inevitable panel replacements at some point. So for me there was never any question of trying the D-Premier with other ESL manufacturers.

 

Each to their own (and the room space available!), but looking around internet fora there are several who are enjoying the magic of this combination.

DocG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 01/05/2012 - 19:47
Posts: 1040
RE: Holy mackerel! Devialet are trickling down!

DocG wrote:

quad2905 wrote:

The D-Premier can do amazing things with some ESLs, at least.

I have Quad 2905s and was looking for an amplifier to reveal their full potential. Driven by the D-Premier they move onto a different planet and I was hooked from the first listen.

I bought one and have never looked back. I can easily drive the ESLs to full output (and beyond into protection) with the D-Premier output software limiter set at 80 WPC.

I'm happy to say that this system is the end of the road for me - no more upgrades, just wonderful music.

Thanks for sharing! I guess it all comes to the speakers' lowest impedance drop (which is 4 Ohm for the Quads, if I'm well informed). Sadly the 2905s are too large for my room...

But the 2805s could fit, or the 2812s! And the Quad dealer is within reach! Ooh, demo time!

DocG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 01/05/2012 - 19:47
Posts: 1040
RE: Holy mackerel! Devialet are trickling down!

Finally got to hearing the D Premier yesterday. Shooting from the hip, it's a mixed bag to me... Well, frankly I'm somewhat disappointed.

Most of the demo was through Harbeth Compact 7ES3s (though I thought it was the Monitor 30.1s Smile ) and it sounded nice with 'simple' music, but when the mix got a little fuller (e.g. Rabih Abou Khalil's Sunrise in Montreal), it sounded flat and boxy. It was still very detailed, but the music was pale, anaemic (Is this what we call 'analytical'?).

We then swapped the Compact 7s for a pair of Devore Gibbon 3XLs. This combo sounded crisper and more detailed still [BigH or Outlaw, if you read this: the crickets on Roadhouses & Automobiles are joined by some twittering birds in the end!]. But it seriously lacked in the bass dept. And the Rabih Abou Khalil track still sounded congested. Weird detail was that I had to crank up the volume even higher (to 3 o'clock!) to get a moderate SPL. A 2 x 240 W amp firing up 90 dB speakers with a flat 8 Ohm impedance? These speakers were designed with SET amps in mind!

After I noticed the dealer's mistake with the Harbeths, we connected the M30.1s; they sounded a lot fuller than the Devores (obviously), and better than the Compact 7s, but not as I remember them (at the time on the end of a LFD integrated).

So what did I learn?

I think I'll go back to hear the D Premier with the big boys (SHL5, Guru Q60, Sony SS AR1), to hear what it is actually capable of.

And I want to hear the LFD - M30 combo again, to check if memory still serves me well!

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2004
RE: Holy mackerel! Devialet are trickling down!

Must admit, the only time I heard the Compacts, they left me pretty underwhelmed.

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 54 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12054
RE: Holy mackerel! Devialet are trickling down!

DocG wrote:

Finally got to hearing the D Premier yesterday. Shooting from the hip, it's a mixed bag to me... Well, frankly I'm somewhat disappointed.

Most of the demo was through Harbeth Compact 7ES3s (though I thought it was the Monitor 30.1s Smile ) and it sounded nice with 'simple' music, but when the mix got a little fuller (e.g. Rabih Abou Khalil's Sunrise in Montreal), it sounded flat and boxy. It was still very detailed, but the music was pale, anaemic (Is this what we call 'analytical'?).

We then swapped the Compact 7s for a pair of Devore Gibbon 3XLs. This combo sounded crisper and more detailed still [BigH or Outlaw, if you read this: the crickets on Roadhouses & Automobiles are joined by some twittering birds in the end!]. But it seriously lacked in the bass dept. And the Rabih Abou Khalil track still sounded congested. Weird detail was that I had to crank up the volume even higher (to 3 o'clock!) to get a moderate SPL. A 2 x 240 W amp firing up 90 dB speakers with a flat 8 Ohm impedance? These speakers were designed with SET amps in mind!

After I noticed the dealer's mistake with the Harbeths, we connected the M30.1s; they sounded a lot fuller than the Devores (obviously), and better than the Compact 7s, but not as I remember them (at the time on the end of a LFD integrated).

So what did I learn?

I think I'll go back to hear the D Premier with the big boys (SHL5, Guru Q60, Sony SS AR1), to hear what it is actually capable of.

And I want to hear the LFD - M30 combo again, to check if memory still serves me well!

Very interesting.

That's along the lines of what I was expecting Matt to say, after his demo...........just goes to show how unpredictable this lark can be.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

DocG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 01/05/2012 - 19:47
Posts: 1040
RE: Holy mackerel! Devialet are trickling down!

Macspur wrote:

Must admit, the only time I heard the Compacts, they left me pretty underwhelmed.

Mac

i agree they're the weakest link in the Harbeth chain. Figured that out before. The thing is that I thought I was listening to the Monitor 30.1 (which I had asked for), but apparently the dealer was absent-minded and connected the wrong pair! It was when I noticed they were taller than the original M 30s, that he saw his mistake...  ROFL

DocG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 01/05/2012 - 19:47
Posts: 1040
RE: Holy mackerel! Devialet are trickling down!

CnoEvil wrote:

DocG wrote:

Finally got to hearing the D Premier yesterday. Shooting from the hip, it's a mixed bag to me... Well, frankly I'm somewhat disappointed.

Most of the demo was through Harbeth Compact 7ES3s (though I thought it was the Monitor 30.1s Smile ) and it sounded nice with 'simple' music, but when the mix got a little fuller (e.g. Rabih Abou Khalil's Sunrise in Montreal), it sounded flat and boxy. It was still very detailed, but the music was pale, anaemic (Is this what we call 'analytical'?).

We then swapped the Compact 7s for a pair of Devore Gibbon 3XLs. This combo sounded crisper and more detailed still [BigH or Outlaw, if you read this: the crickets on Roadhouses & Automobiles are joined by some twittering birds in the end!]. But it seriously lacked in the bass dept. And the Rabih Abou Khalil track still sounded congested. Weird detail was that I had to crank up the volume even higher (to 3 o'clock!) to get a moderate SPL. A 2 x 240 W amp firing up 90 dB speakers with a flat 8 Ohm impedance? These speakers were designed with SET amps in mind!

After I noticed the dealer's mistake with the Harbeths, we connected the M30.1s; they sounded a lot fuller than the Devores (obviously), and better than the Compact 7s, but not as I remember them (at the time on the end of a LFD integrated).

So what did I learn?

I think I'll go back to hear the D Premier with the big boys (SHL5, Guru Q60, Sony SS AR1), to hear what it is actually capable of.

And I want to hear the LFD - M30 combo again, to check if memory still serves me well!

Very interesting.

That's along the lines of what I was expecting Matt to say, after his demo...........just goes to show how unpredictable this lark can be.

What is really difficult for a rookie as myself, is to find out where the amp is to blame or the speakers (or the synergy).

And I can't get over this 'volume thing': needing to crank a 240 Wpc amp up to get acceptable SPL through a 'SET-speaker'? :wall:  I checked the connections, but couldn't find phase issues.

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2004
RE: Holy mackerel! Devialet are trickling down!

DocG wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

DocG wrote:

Finally got to hearing the D Premier yesterday. Shooting from the hip, it's a mixed bag to me... Well, frankly I'm somewhat disappointed.

Most of the demo was through Harbeth Compact 7ES3s (though I thought it was the Monitor 30.1s Smile ) and it sounded nice with 'simple' music, but when the mix got a little fuller (e.g. Rabih Abou Khalil's Sunrise in Montreal), it sounded flat and boxy. It was still very detailed, but the music was pale, anaemic (Is this what we call 'analytical'?).

We then swapped the Compact 7s for a pair of Devore Gibbon 3XLs. This combo sounded crisper and more detailed still [BigH or Outlaw, if you read this: the crickets on Roadhouses & Automobiles are joined by some twittering birds in the end!]. But it seriously lacked in the bass dept. And the Rabih Abou Khalil track still sounded congested. Weird detail was that I had to crank up the volume even higher (to 3 o'clock!) to get a moderate SPL. A 2 x 240 W amp firing up 90 dB speakers with a flat 8 Ohm impedance? These speakers were designed with SET amps in mind!

After I noticed the dealer's mistake with the Harbeths, we connected the M30.1s; they sounded a lot fuller than the Devores (obviously), and better than the Compact 7s, but not as I remember them (at the time on the end of a LFD integrated).

So what did I learn?

I think I'll go back to hear the D Premier with the big boys (SHL5, Guru Q60, Sony SS AR1), to hear what it is actually capable of.

And I want to hear the LFD - M30 combo again, to check if memory still serves me well!

Very interesting.

That's along the lines of what I was expecting Matt to say, after his demo...........just goes to show how unpredictable this lark can be.

What is really difficult for a rookie as myself, is to find out where the amp is to blame or the speakers (or the synergy).

And I can't get over this 'volume thing': needing to crank a 240 Wpc amp up to get acceptable SPL through a 'SET-speaker'? :wall:  I checked the connections, but couldn't find phase issues.

I know what you mean about the volume issue... I had a similar experience when demoing some ATC SCM40's with ATC integrated.

Any news on possible demo with the Accuphase?

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 54 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12054
RE: Holy mackerel! Devialet are trickling down!

DocG wrote:

What is really difficult for a rookie as myself, is to find out where the amp is to blame or the speakers (or the synergy).

And I can't get over this 'volume thing': needing to crank a 240 Wpc amp up to get acceptable SPL through a 'SET-speaker'? :wall:  I checked the connections, but couldn't find phase issues.

IMO. You are a long way from being a rookie.

It's just a matter of plugging along until you get the right mixture, that fits your ear and your room.

I find that the more I listen to Class A, the more intolerant I am of anything else.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Pages

Log in or register to post comments