Have your say & ask the experts!

What ultrabook?

60 replies [Last post]
bigboss's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11787

I'm thinking of getting an ultrabook. My requirements are:

1) 13 inches
2) 512GB SSD storage
3) No optical drive
4) Decent battery life
5) Touchscreen
6) Ultraslim profile

I can't find anything decent. I can get a 13-inch MacBook Air with 512GB SSD & 8GB RAM for £1305. I can't believe there's no competition for it on features & price. I already have a MacBook Pro, so want a Windows 8.

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Nov 2010
Posts: 2839
RE: What ultrabook?

If you can stretch to 14" you could look at that carbon Lenovo?

__________________

Paul's system thread

(where the photos live) Paul's Flickr page

bigboss's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11787
RE: What ultrabook?

Yes, I've checked that. That's the closest I've found matching my requirements. But only 256GB SSD unfortunately.

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

scene's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Sep 2008
Posts: 2948
RE: What ultrabook?

The Dell XPS14 has a 512 SSD option - but it's 2.1kg and £1460!!

EDIT: And come to think of it, when I looke a month ago, I'm sure the Toshiba Portege Z930 had a 512GB SSD option - that I can't seem to find anymore. I have an older Toshiba portege that has lasted 6.5 years now.

__________________

Hi Fi: Arcam A85, DV88 (CD only), Project Debut II, Sonos ZP90, AE Compact-1.  AV: Arcam AVR250, DV79, Sony BDP-S760, Monitor Audio Silver 8i, RS-LCR, RXFX, Sonos ZP90, Pioneer KRP500A.  2nd AV: Pioneer SX-SWR2, Dell Zino HD, KEF KHT2005.2 eggs, Sonos ZP90.  Cables: That Cable HDMI, Chord Crimsons, CAT6 backbone  Sonos S5s in the bedrooms

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Joined: 17 Jul 2012
Posts: 860
RE: What ultrabook?

might be easier to buy one with the spec you want and a small ssd, then just buy a 512gb ssd and stick that in.

professorhat's picture
Online
Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 11010
RE: What ultrabook?

Buy a Macbook Air and install Windows 8 on it using Bootcamp / VMware Fusion / Parallels?

EDIT - ah, you want a touchscreen

 

bigboss's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11787
RE: What ultrabook?

professorhat wrote:

Buy a Macbook Air and install Windows 8 on it using Bootcamp / VMware Fusion / Parallels?

EDIT - ah, you want a touchscreen

 

Well, touchscreen only if it's Windows 8. To be honest, I am mulling over the option of having 2 MacBooks ( while my Windows 8 next to me is stuck in a restart loop  Angry ) - the MacBook Pro is my wife's. I just feel that if I have 2 systems at home (Windows & Mac), I will have the flexibility of both ecosystems. Besides, I can foresee compatibility problems when I want to use it for work purposes (NHS). Apple makes beautiful hardware. Lenovo ThinkPad runs it close.

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

bigboss's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11787
RE: What ultrabook?

cheeseboy wrote:

might be easier to buy one with the spec you want and a small ssd, then just buy a 512gb ssd and stick that in.

That's an option! Would that not void manufacturer's warranty?

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

bigboss's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11787
RE: What ultrabook?

scene wrote:

The Dell XPS14 has a 512 SSD option - but it's 2.1kg and £1460!!

Looks nice, but it's still 2.1 kg!

Quote:

EDIT: And come to think of it, when I looke a month ago, I'm sure the Toshiba Portege Z930 had a 512GB SSD option - that I can't seem to find anymore. I have an older Toshiba portege that has lasted 6.5 years now.

How is Toshiba? A friend of mine hated it, as it broke down a few times.

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

bigboss's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11787
RE: What ultrabook?

I was looking forward to Asus announcing more models in its Zenbook series, but they haven't done so as yet.

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

professorhat's picture
Online
Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 11010
RE: What ultrabook?

bigboss wrote:

professorhat wrote:

Buy a Macbook Air and install Windows 8 on it using Bootcamp / VMware Fusion / Parallels?

EDIT - ah, you want a touchscreen

 

Well, touchscreen only if it's Windows 8. To be honest, I am mulling over the option of having 2 MacBooks ( while my Windows 8 next to me is stuck in a restart loop  Angry ) - the MacBook Pro is my wife's. I just feel that if I have 2 systems at home (Windows & Mac), I will have the flexibility of both ecosystems. Besides, I can foresee compatibility problems when I want to use it for work purposes (NHS). Apple makes beautiful hardware. Lenovo ThinkPad runs it close.

Windows 8 runs quite happily on my Macbook Air as a virtual machine in VMware Fusion. You get the best of both worlds as you can still run PC apps, but VMware Fusion ensures Windows supports all the normal Mac gestures i.e. two finger scrolling, three fingers to move windows etc, plus four finger swish to move from the Mac desktop / full screen apps to the VMware Fusion version of Windows running full screen. It can even make Windows apps appear to be running as normal Mac apps, though I've found this functionality to be a bit flaky personally (though that could just be the dodgy work apps I use!).

The only thing I'd recommend if going down this route would be to spend the £80 to up the RAM to 8 GB so you can assign Windows enough RAM and not affect your normal usage of Mac apps.

 

Scissor_digits's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Dec 2003
Posts: 294
RE: What ultrabook?

Sony VAIO T Series 13 Ultrabook

 

On Sony's website the standard version is £619 but when pimped up to your spec it's £1,189

 

Your requirement for 512GB SSD means you'll be lucky to get anything below £1,000

__________________

Naim Unitiqute 2 > Kef LS50

 

Synology DS214play NAS

dreddric's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Jan 2010
Posts: 9
RE: What ultrabook?

I am really happy with my Toshiba Z930 (i7, 8GB RAM) and it is so light to carry, but it is not Touchscreen. It initially came with a 128GB mSATA SSD which I upgraded to 256GB, I don't think a 512GB mSATA SSD is commercially available yet? If there is, no doubt it will be very expensive!

The Toshiba U920T sounds similar to what you are looking for, its a Window 8 hybrid (laptop/tablet), but again only with 128GB SSD and not sure how easy it would be to upgrade.  

__________________

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Joined: 17 Jul 2012
Posts: 860
RE: What ultrabook?

bigboss wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:

might be easier to buy one with the spec you want and a small ssd, then just buy a 512gb ssd and stick that in.

That's an option! Would that not void manufacturer's warranty?

nope, shouldn't do, that's one of the points of having upgradable parts Laughing out loud

bigboss's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11787
RE: What ultrabook?

Scissor_digits wrote:

Sony VAIO T Series 13 Ultrabook

 

On Sony's website the standard version is £619 but when pimped up to your spec it's £1,189

 

Your requirement for 512GB SSD means you'll be lucky to get anything below £1,000

Now that looks very nice! A little beefier to my liking, but not bad at all. Will go & check in store.

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

bigboss's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11787
RE: What ultrabook?

cheeseboy wrote:

bigboss wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:

might be easier to buy one with the spec you want and a small ssd, then just buy a 512gb ssd and stick that in.

That's an option! Would that not void manufacturer's warranty?

nope, shouldn't do, that's one of the points of having upgradable parts Laughing out loud

beauty, eh

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router