9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lo Fi's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 13/07/2011 - 19:33
Posts: 196
Help selecting headphones required

I have an Audiolab 8200 cd player and Arcam FMJ A19 amplifier and require some headphones. I am thinking either Audio Technica ATH M50 or AKG 550 what do members think would be best or are there others at a similar price that are good. I want closed back type.

quadpatch's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 hours ago
Joined: 28/03/2011 - 19:04
Posts: 881
RE: Help selecting headphones required

Out of those two I prefer the ATH-M50s. It has a much better and more realistic bass presentation (although perhaps a tad too strong), it's not quite as comfy but the seal and isolation was better for me. Both drive well from portable gear, but it sounds like you're not fussed about that. On the down side I find the M50s a bit muffled and the K550 a bit screachy in the highs, but they are both pretty well loved. For the budget you seem to be going for however I would recommend a couple above those two (in order of greatness, best first):

SoundMAGIC HP100

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35D

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Help selecting headphones required

I've got the 550's and they sound good but I find them uncomfortable after about

half an hour to 45mins. I'll be looking to try the Soundmagic HP100 & 200 as 

they seem to have very good reviews and after using the E10's think they could be  

vgood.

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 5 hours ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11279
RE: Help selecting headphones required

Depending on the sort of sound you're after, there's the Yamaha Pro500, KEF M500, Onkyo ESHF300, Sennheiser Momentum, and a few new DENON models coming too that will be worth taking a look at.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

quadpatch's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 hours ago
Joined: 28/03/2011 - 19:04
Posts: 881
RE: Help selecting headphones required

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

Depending on the sort of sound you're after, there's the Yamaha Pro500, KEF M500, Onkyo ESHF300, Sennheiser Momentum, and a few new DENON models coming too that will be worth taking a look at.

The first ones you mention stand out to me as hifi manufacturers that don't know much about headphones, coming into the market because of the opportunity created (for better or worse) by Beats. I'm not saying they're bad, but I hope they've gotten someone else to make them. Also many of your suggestions seem a little expensive (£200-300), given the one's initially mentioned (£120-150).
dalethorn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 07/12/2011 - 21:10
Posts: 1207
RE: Help selecting headphones required

quadpatch wrote:
David@FrankHarvey wrote:
Depending on the sort of sound you're after, there's the Yamaha Pro500, KEF M500, Onkyo ESHF300, Sennheiser Momentum, and a few new DENON models coming too that will be worth taking a look at.

The first ones you mention stand out to me as hifi manufacturers that don't know much about headphones, coming into the market because of the opportunity created (for better or worse) by Beats. I'm not saying they're bad, but I hope they've gotten someone else to make them. Also many of your suggestions seem a little expensive (£200-300), given the one's initially mentioned (£120-150).

I hope KEF gets the sound of their new headphone up to mid-fi standard at least. Another Martin-Logan Mikros 90 we don't need. But I would definitely recommend the production version of the Beyer DT770LE 32 ohm. And I'd say the Soundmagic HP200 gets closer to the DT770 sound than the HP100, but the HP200 is on the HP100 side of that comparison, not the far side beyond the DT770, if that makes sense.

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.

Pete68's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 15/11/2012 - 10:29
Posts: 226
RE: Help selecting headphones required

I have heard excellent things about the Yamaha HPH-MT220 headphones. They are priced at about £130. Definately worth an audition.

dalethorn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 07/12/2011 - 21:10
Posts: 1207
RE: Help selecting headphones required

12Designs wrote:
I have heard excellent things about the Yamaha HPH-MT220 headphones. They are priced at about £130. Definately worth an audition.

"Copper clad aluminum wire voice coils". Ummm, that would not be my preference, unless there's an important design goal there besides cutting costs. I searched for reviews for the MT220, and could not find even one review, although they were announced nearly a year ago.

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.

Lo Fi's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 13/07/2011 - 19:33
Posts: 196
RE: Help selecting headphones required

quadpatch wrote:

Out of those two I prefer the ATH-M50s. It has a much better and more realistic bass presentation (although perhaps a tad too strong), it's not quite as comfy but the seal and isolation was better for me. Both drive well from portable gear, but it sounds like you're not fussed about that. On the down side I find the M50s a bit muffled and the K550 a bit screachy in the highs, but they are both pretty well loved. For the budget you seem to be going for however I would recommend a couple above those two (in order of greatness, best first):

SoundMAGIC HP100

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35D

Hi quadpatch from reading some of your posts I can see you have a great knowledge of headphones.
Can you tell me the pros and cons of the following headphones bearing in mind I will be using them only through the Arcam amp.
ATH M50
HP 100
DT770 Pro and by the way which impedance would be best
Thanks for your help

Log in or register to post comments