234 posts / 0 new
Last post
gregvet's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 24/12/2008 - 02:55
Posts: 746
RE: Perreaux amps Perreaux amps

acalex wrote:

Ahaha, do not worry now is just for the pleasure. Amp chapter is closed at least for next 4/5 years  ROFL

 

Thats ok then, the rest of us amp buying mortals are safe for a little while  Wink

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2122
RE: Perreaux amps Perreaux amps

CnoEvil wrote:

Macspur wrote:

Hi Electro,

I've struck a provisional deal with the dealer, just want to check the Sugden player out first, but I will be shocked if it betters the EMC1UP.

I've been using the amp quite a bit over the weekend and it really is a close run thing... the Sugden just has that bit more definition, but I could live with the MKii... I think Cno may have sent me  a link for a Company selling an ex demo ECI-5, will double check.

Thanks to Cno for suggesting  and to you for encouraging me to try Electrocompaniet.

Cheers

Mac

Here is the link again: http://www.kronosav.com/products#ecwid:mode=product&product=10684128 This is a very tempting offer - and if you had to shift it on, would cost very little. I would also echo Electro's comment about the components taking a good while to properly warm up and sound right. If there is anything I can help with, just ask. Cno

Thanks for that Cno.

Have been listening via the ECI-5 MKii most of last night and for a couple of hours this morning.  Now just changed back to the Sugden and it, in my set up, definitely beats the Electrocompaniet... just got that bit more of everything.

For anyone who's looking for a Class A sound in a solid state box at an affordable price, Electrocompaniet would be the one to choose.  Of course all other components have to be taken into consideration.

Cheers

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2122
RE: Perreaux amps

Hi,

Just a little update on the amp side of things.

The dealer has asked me to give the Perreaux more burn in time, so I've been leaving A CD on continuous play for the last couple of days.

However, this morning, I've noticed a rather distinctive hum coming from the unit, so immediately turned it off.

The perreaux is a highly detailed crisp sounding amp with a nice tight base and if I had never heard the Sugden, would probably be very content with it, but it just lacks that extra air, space and yes, emotion that you get with Class A.

Possibly if I'd been able to leave it on for another few days it may have opened out, but I'm not taking any risks.

Cheers

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

CnoEvil's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12583
RE: Perreaux amps

When are you getting the Sugden CDP....will be interesting to see if the synergy thing wins out. The Electro CDP is very very good!

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2122
RE: Perreaux amps

CnoEvil wrote:

When are you getting the Sugden CDP....will be interesting to see if the synergy thing wins out. The Electro CDP is very very good!

Looking like next week now.

Only thing is, I doubt I'll be able to keep the EMC1UP till then, so won't be able to do side by side comparison, the more I listen to it the better it sounds... really wanted to get this component sorted this week.

I enquired with Kronos about a home dem of their ECI-5 ex dem, but they weren't willing.

Cheers

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

CnoEvil's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12583
RE: Perreaux amps

Macspur wrote:

I enquired with Kronos about a home dem of their ECI-5 ex dem, but they weren't willing.

Cheers

Mac

Sorry to here that. Was this a location problem, as they are usually very accommodating?

I know they have been stung a few times when dealing through the post, which has made them cautious.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2122
RE: Perreaux amps

CnoEvil wrote:

Macspur wrote:

I enquired with Kronos about a home dem of their ECI-5 ex dem, but they weren't willing.

Cheers

Mac

Sorry to here that. Was this a location problem, as they are usually very accommodating?

I know they have been stung a few times when dealing through the post, which has made them cautious.

No, I don't believe so.  The reason they gave is that it's an ex demo at a great price.

Cheers

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

acalex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 13/09/2011 - 11:48
Posts: 1592
RE: Perreaux amps

Macspur wrote:

Hi,

Just a little update on the amp side of things.

The dealer has asked me to give the Perreaux more burn in time, so I've been leaving A CD on continuous play for the last couple of days.

However, this morning, I've noticed a rather distinctive hum coming from the unit, so immediately turned it off.

The perreaux is a highly detailed crisp sounding amp with a nice tight base and if I had never heard the Sugden, would probably be very content with it, but it just lacks that extra air, space and yes, emotion that you get with Class A.

Possibly if I'd been able to leave it on for another few days it may have opened out, but I'm not taking any risks.

Cheers

Mac

Weird because the Perreaux 250 we tried with Roby had plenty of details but was also very airy and was able to develop, matched with proper speakers, an huge and impressive soundstage. 

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2122
RE: Perreaux amps

acalex wrote:

Macspur wrote:

Hi,

Just a little update on the amp side of things.

The dealer has asked me to give the Perreaux more burn in time, so I've been leaving A CD on continuous play for the last couple of days.

However, this morning, I've noticed a rather distinctive hum coming from the unit, so immediately turned it off.

The perreaux is a highly detailed crisp sounding amp with a nice tight base and if I had never heard the Sugden, would probably be very content with it, but it just lacks that extra air, space and yes, emotion that you get with Class A.

Possibly if I'd been able to leave it on for another few days it may have opened out, but I'm not taking any risks.

Cheers

Mac

Weird because the Perreaux 250 we tried with Roby had plenty of details but was also very airy and was able to develop, matched with proper speakers, an huge and impressive soundstage. 

Not weird... I take it the unit you heard was a demo model, so well run in.  The one I've got is new out of the box.

Cheers

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

Roby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 months 3 days ago
Joined: 17/01/2012 - 02:35
Posts: 451
RE: Perreaux amps

Macspur wrote:

acalex wrote:

Macspur wrote:

Hi,

Just a little update on the amp side of things.

The dealer has asked me to give the Perreaux more burn in time, so I've been leaving A CD on continuous play for the last couple of days.

However, this morning, I've noticed a rather distinctive hum coming from the unit, so immediately turned it off.

The perreaux is a highly detailed crisp sounding amp with a nice tight base and if I had never heard the Sugden, would probably be very content with it, but it just lacks that extra air, space and yes, emotion that you get with Class A.

Possibly if I'd been able to leave it on for another few days it may have opened out, but I'm not taking any risks.

Cheers

Mac

Weird because the Perreaux 250 we tried with Roby had plenty of details but was also very airy and was able to develop, matched with proper speakers, an huge and impressive soundstage. 

Not weird... I take it the unit you heard was a demo model, so well run in.  The one I've got is new out of the box.

Cheers

Mac

 

Exactly because the dealer ask me to give hi 1 or even 2 weeks so that he can let the amp run in. So my guess is that this amp's certenly need a good run in time to get the best out of it. Altrough I don't know hor long he let it play before giving us that superb demo.

acalex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 13/09/2011 - 11:48
Posts: 1592
RE: Perreaux amps

Macspur wrote:

acalex wrote:

Macspur wrote:

Hi,

Just a little update on the amp side of things.

The dealer has asked me to give the Perreaux more burn in time, so I've been leaving A CD on continuous play for the last couple of days.

However, this morning, I've noticed a rather distinctive hum coming from the unit, so immediately turned it off.

The perreaux is a highly detailed crisp sounding amp with a nice tight base and if I had never heard the Sugden, would probably be very content with it, but it just lacks that extra air, space and yes, emotion that you get with Class A.

Possibly if I'd been able to leave it on for another few days it may have opened out, but I'm not taking any risks.

Cheers

Mac

Weird because the Perreaux 250 we tried with Roby had plenty of details but was also very airy and was able to develop, matched with proper speakers, an huge and impressive soundstage. 

Not weird... I take it the unit you heard was a demo model, so well run in.  The one I've got is new out of the box.

Cheers

Mac

I see, sorry as I wasn't aware yours was a brand new amp. Then yes indeed the one we tried was well run in and all components were greatly selected for a great demo (the guy is an electronics engineer and build itself his own speakers, he's a good friend of Perreaux owner)

Electro's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 hour 5 min ago
Joined: 30/03/2011 - 11:34
Posts: 1317
RE: Perreaux amps

Hi ,

Just wondered if you have come to any decisions yet.

Judging by your posts so far it seems to me that you might end up keeping the Sugden and buying  the Electrocompaniet EMC1UP .

I imagine that by now you understand why I love my EMC1UP player so much and why I was so keen for you to try it Smile

It is an amazing piece of equipment that almost performs miracles with the humble 16 bit Cd and until you hear one it is impossible to describe how well it plays music to other people who have not heard it .

looking forward to hearing what you have decided to do Smile

Electro .

 

 Electrocompaniet EMC 1 UP , Monarchy Audio DIP, Electrocompaniet ECD 1 dac , EC4.8 preamp , 2x AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC PB1i speakers . Thousands of Cd's .

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2122
RE: Perreaux amps

Electro wrote:

Hi ,

Just wondered if you have come to any decisions yet.

Judging by your posts so far it seems to me that you might end up keeping the Sugden and buying  the Electrocompaniet EMC1UP .

I imagine that by now you understand why I love my EMC1UP player so much and why I was so keen for you to try it Smile

It is an amazing piece of equipment that almost performs miracles with the humble 16 bit Cd and until you hear one it is impossible to describe how well it plays music to other people who have not heard it .

looking forward to hearing what you have decided to do Smile

Electro .

 

Hi Electro,

Certainly at this moment in time the best combo is the Sugden amp and EMC1UP, but the matching Sugden CDP should be here some time in the oncoming week. 

I will be amazed if the Sugden is better, but I must try and keep an open mind.

I did ask one Company for a home demo of the ECI-5 amp, but they weren't willing as it was ex demo and against their policy.  I will probably live with the IA-4 for a while longer, save some pennys and see what comes up.

Cheers

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2122
RE: Perreaux amps

Hi,

Just a little update on the CDP side of things;

The Sugden arived tonight and first impressions pin point imaging, great instrument seperation, delicate and very transparrent.  Build quality... probably the most unimpressive and certainly the lightest high end machine I've handled thus far, with quite a cheap looking plastic tray.

Not ready to make any decision just yet.

Cheers

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

CnoEvil's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12583
RE: Perreaux amps

I look forward to the outcome, though the Electro will take a lot of beating.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Pages

Log in or register to post comments