Have your say & ask the experts!

Tube-friendly speakers

295 replies [Last post]
acalex's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 1591
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

CnoEvil wrote:

acalex wrote:

In the meantime no news from the importer of BRs...after having promised they would contact Francis to see what they can arrange...no more news Sad

I have also sent two reminders but nothing...just will send last email before dropping the idea...

Emails are all too easy to ignore, especially with the backlog after the Christmas break.......give them a ring.

Has Rob got the Vertere cables, and if so, which ones?

Maybe you are right, I will try to give them a call on Monday. I hate calls, prefer emails or meeting in person Laughing out loud

Rob has got several cables and will report something tonight as didn't have the time so far for a proper listening. He got the best pair of speaker cables and I think 3 pairs of i/c

acalex's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 1591
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

In the meantime I just plugged the Black Linn replacing the Clearaudio Smart wire which I had before...must say it is not bad at all...now wondering how the Silver will sound Laughing out loud

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11415
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

acalex wrote:

In the meantime I just plugged the Black Linn replacing the Clearaudio Smart wire which I had before...must say it is not bad at all...now wondering how the Silver will sound Laughing out loud

The Black is a very solid, musical cable that is my default "no-brainer" for the £12 - £20 that it can be picked up for on ebay. The Silver should be a good step up, giving a similar sound, just much more detailed and punchier. I could easily live with the Silver, which is the best complement I can pay it.

In your system, you need to find where the i/c sweetspot is......the Vertere will be interesting, to say the least. It's possible that the ADS/1 warrants a better i/c than the MDS, though we'll see.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

acalex's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 1591
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

CnoEvil wrote:

acalex wrote:

In the meantime I just plugged the Black Linn replacing the Clearaudio Smart wire which I had before...must say it is not bad at all...now wondering how the Silver will sound Laughing out loud

The Black is a very solid, musical cable that is my default "no-brainer" for the £12 - £20 that it can be picked up for on ebay. The Silver should be a good step up, giving a similar sound, just much more detailed and punchier. I could easily live with the Silver, which is the best complement I can pay it.

In your system, you need to find where the i/c sweetspot is......the Vertere will be interesting, to say the least. It's possible that the ADS/1 warrants a better i/c than the MDS, though we'll see.

Yes, solid musical and very clear...voice is more present...like it so far Wink

What a wonderful world singed by Stacey Kent is just amazing...

Bought a 24/192 album from Naim records website (Meet me in London with Antonio Forcione and Sabina Sciubba) and the track number 4 Caruso is just thrilling...can't stop listening

steve_1979's picture
Offline
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 3537
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

Sorry for the off topic question acalex. Smile

 

Did you get the chance to listen to any active speakers over Christmas?

__________________

PC > AVI Neutron Five 2.1

Sony NWZ-A847 64GB Walkman > Westone UM3x

acalex's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 1591
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

steve_1979 wrote:

Sorry for the off topic question acalex. Smile

 

Did you get the chance to listen to any active speakers over Christmas?

Hi Steve, not yet as all my time was taken by Xmas present. This is my mission for next week when I will be alone as my OH is going to Poland for a week...lot of demoing Smile

Will keep you posted for sure!

acalex's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 1591
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

Well...Rob came and we had an extesnive trial of the Vertere cables and interconnect. We first made a quick tour with my set-up and the Siltech so Rob could get a taste of the Akurate...and I think he liked it this time  rolling on the floor laughing

We tried a few digital songs and the Tok Tok Tok vinyl which we both now quite well.

Swapped the cables with the Vertere speaker cables and interconnects. We re-played the 2-3 digital tracks and the vinyl again without exchanging any feedback in the meantime. 

At the end we stopped and we realised we came to the same conslusions. Switching from Siltech to Vertere

- We lost speed: this was quite evident since the beginning for me as all the tracks we played I knew them very well

- We lost clarity and detail. It was especially evident in the acoustic track of Rolling stones "Love in vain". The typical sound of the acoustic guitar when switching chords almost disappeared in a specific point of a track.

- We lost a bit of smoothness in the trebles. It sounded (especially the voice) a bit more artificial

Overall I felt also we lost a bit of separation of instruments and a bit of sparkle...it seemed like we moved further from the stage.

Just to make sure we were not fooling ourselves we switched back to the same configuration with Siltech cables and interconnects and everything was back straight away. Speed, separation, details, smoother treble, more body in the voice...these cables are absolutely stunning I must say. 

I am happy I had the opportunity to try the Verteres and I realised these Siltech make a hell of a reference at a great price point (I can have the 2.5mt at 1200 euro). 

Now waiting for the Atlas and Telurium Q...

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11415
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

acalex wrote:

Now waiting for the Atlas and Telurium Q...

Great job.....I won't even ask if you connected them the right (wrong) way round. shifty

Do try and get some Cardas (Clear Light) as well, now you have the contact. I haven't heard Siltech, but from your description, it reminds me of Cardas.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

Roby's picture
Offline
Joined: 17 Jan 2012
Posts: 450
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

Exactly

This is actualy a good test because I had the same feeling

Just managed my words a bit more,

This also mine my an my friend here are actualy looking for a sound that is not that differend in the end beauty, eh

__________________

HT:

Denon 1911/B&W 685, HTM61, ASW610XP/Ps3, WII, X box 360

HI-FI:

AMS 35i/Cambridge Azure 650 cd/Squeezox touch/Clear audio Champion lmtd edition with MC Simphony II cardrige/Okki NoKKi Record cleaning machine/M1 Vinl Phono stage/Audioquest 'Golden gate' & Transparent super music wave rca's/Avalon Ascendent SC  Transparent super music wave

acalex's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 1591
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

CnoEvil wrote:

acalex wrote:

Now waiting for the Atlas and Telurium Q...

Great job.....I won't even ask if you connected them the right (wrong) way round. shifty

Do try and get some Cardas (Clear Light) as well, now you have the contact. I haven't heard Siltech, but from your description, it reminds me of Cardas.

I double checked the email before starting to play  Smile

acalex's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 1591
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

CnoEvil wrote:

acalex wrote:

Now waiting for the Atlas and Telurium Q...

Great job.....I won't even ask if you connected them the right (wrong) way round. shifty

Do try and get some Cardas (Clear Light) as well, now you have the contact. I haven't heard Siltech, but from your description, it reminds me of Cardas.

If you want I can try to send to you a pair as a demo  rolling on the floor laughing

But very very dangerous  Smile

Joined: 25 Jul 2011
Posts: 1858
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

$1000 a cable??? You guys have to be joking - or are incredibly rich!

 

Makes my £5 a metre cable seem a bit humble...

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5900
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

altruistic.lemon wrote:

$1000 a cable??? You guys have to be joking - or are incredibly rich!

 

Makes my £5 a metre cable seem a bit humble...

 

And it's described as a 'great price point'! The shame is that on a level matched blind test I'd bet huge sums that axalex could not tell the difference between your cable and his. 

__________________

HiFi   /   A/V   /   Bedroom

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11415
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

acalex wrote:

If you want I can try to send to you a pair as a demo  rolling on the floor laughing

But very very dangerous  Smile

Do you want to get me shot!

I await with interest to see if Siltech sees off all comers.....if it can outgun the Cardas Clear / Clear Light, you never know!  shifty

I chose Cardas, because it was the most organic, analgue sounding that I'd heard. The Clear range is cleaner and more detailed than the Golden range, but still has that naturalness.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

Roby's picture
Offline
Joined: 17 Jan 2012
Posts: 450
RE: Tube-friendly speakers

CnoEvil wrote:

acalex wrote:

If you want I can try to send to you a pair as a demo  rolling on the floor laughing

But very very dangerous  Smile

Do you want to get me shot!

I await with interest to see if Siltech sees off all comers.....if it can outgun the Cardas Clear / Clear Light, you never know!  shifty

I chose Cardas, because it was the most organic, analgue sounding that I'd heard. The Clear range is cleaner and more detailed than the Golden range, but still has that naturalness.

 

I'm very couriuos but they have to be extreemly exeptional to ouplay the 330L......An to be honest I can hardly imagine......

__________________

HT:

Denon 1911/B&W 685, HTM61, ASW610XP/Ps3, WII, X box 360

HI-FI:

AMS 35i/Cambridge Azure 650 cd/Squeezox touch/Clear audio Champion lmtd edition with MC Simphony II cardrige/Okki NoKKi Record cleaning machine/M1 Vinl Phono stage/Audioquest 'Golden gate' & Transparent super music wave rca's/Avalon Ascendent SC  Transparent super music wave