22 posts / 0 new
Last post
quadpatch's picture
RE: Oppo BDP-105 USB Asynchronous DAC

pete321 wrote:

Thanks for looking, but unfortunatley it doesn't solve the problem as I only play SACD in stereo to my Naim amp. I use both HDMI 1 & 2 outputs, HDMI 1 to the TV and HDMI 2 to my Yamaha soundbar. Because neither of these support DSD (regardless of the fact that I don't want to use them for that purpose), the Oppo automatically converts DSD to PCM, even though I'm playing it back through the analogue outputs of the Oppo.

Are you sure the HDMI 2 port doesn't support DSD? It clearly says in the manual that it does. Perhaps it's the fact that the HDMI 1 is plugged in and detected that it goes to PCM. I am going to ask about this, it seems like there should be a way to fix it given the circumstances. 
pete321's picture

quadpatch wrote:
Are you sure the HDMI 2 port doesn't support DSD? It clearly says in the manual that it does. Perhaps it's the fact that the HDMI 1 is plugged in and detected that it goes to PCM. I am going to ask about this, it seems like there should be a way to fix it given the circumstances. 

Neither of my devices which are connected to the 105's HDMI outputs can decode DSD, so it would matter which one I used, the HDMI handshke let's the Oppo no that they don't support DSD decoding and the Oppo converts to PCM.

As you say, you would think it would be fairly easy to fix. I don't see why whether the HDMI devices connected to the 105 are able to decode DSD should affect the output from the RCA outputs of the 105. If you select DSD bitstreaming, it shouldn't convert it to PCM, otherwise there's no point in giving you the choice if the machine is going to make it's own mind up anyway.

CustomCable's picture

Hi Pete321 the UD501 has finally come in and its a pretty well priced DSD dac at just £700.

TEAC UD-501 DAC

quadpatch's picture

I have just posted my review of the Oppo BDP-105EU here:

http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/oppo-bdp-105eu-review.html

pete321's picture

CustomCable wrote:

Hi Pete321 the UD501 has finally come in and its a pretty well priced DSD dac at just £700.

TEAC UD-501 DAC

Thanks Phil, it'll be interesting to hear in my system and compare against the Oppo DAC.

The Oppo 105 now has DSD file playback with the latest beta firmware, but it's only via a USB stick or hard drive, not via the asynchrous DAC using PC playback software like J. River.

pete321's picture

quadpatch wrote:

My only drawback as a USB DAC is that switching to it requires the TV on as you can't do it from the feedback of the LCD screen and it never remembers your last input selection. It seems like this could be fixed so easily with some software updates but i wish it had a dedicated button on the remote to switch to the USB. 

I've realised that if you press the input button on the Oppo remote then follwed by 3 for example, you'll get the asynchronous DAC input (this appears 3rd on the input list).

Pages