4 posts / 0 new
Last post
mikicasellas's picture
Audiolab MDAC vs Calyx DAC 24/192

Hi i am new here,

Greetings everyone!

i am hoping to hear some comparisons or comments about how the Mdac vs Calyx 24/192 compete in terms of sound quality, i know the Mdac was DAC of the year but also i have heard that hte Calyx is very very good and is almost head to head with Weiss dac...

Cheers!

:cheers:

Miki

quadpatch's picture
RE: Audiolab MDAC vs Calyx DAC 24/192

Hi Miki, and wecome Smile

Calyx are Korean right? I don't think there is a UK dsitributor for them. I think AmpCity used to sell them but they went bust recently. I can't see a price for the 24/192 but if I recall correctly it was over £1000 putting it way above the M-DAC, which also has a headphone amplifier, and a very good one.

I am curious about the more reasonable Calyx Kong, which looks very much like the Arcam rPAC.

mikicasellas's picture

Hi Quadpatch,

Calyx has an UK seller "Item Audio" that also sells W4S dacs, i'm still looking but i thing my search goes for these two and perhaps plus one:

Mytek Stereo192-DSD-DAC USD $1,695.00 usd, word on the street says this will be the new Benchmark dac1

I’m inclined to say look for async USB 24/192.

If the USB receiver is by XMOS so much the better as it has a very large installed base.

UAC2 (USB audio class 2) support I do think a plus as it works on all OS including Linux.

Those are the suggestions by a well known reviewer that has tested all this guys

But still looking for new opinions!

Regards

daytona600's picture

Calyx are korean mate has one dac 24/192 different ball park to the audiolab mdac

competes with top end stuff like weiss ,  with the matching 200wpc integrated which a very nice 24/96 usb dac

you can get them for about the same price as the mdac

mac pro . jplay , dac 24/192 , cti i200wpc integrated , usher mini dance two all in he paid £7k sounds like £20k

solid aluminium case , great build , the top of the range femto compares to silly price ones at £10k  

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=468:calyx-audio-femto-digital-to-analog-converter&catid=55:full-length-reviews&Itemid=4