523 posts / 0 new
Last post
SunnyCyprus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 06/08/2011 - 05:49
Posts: 19
RE: RE:

well pretty is I suppose like beauty "in the eye of the beholder" but trust me the AVI ADM40's are a lot "prettier" to my eyes at least than my quite frankly pug ugly ADAM A7X's and as I'm about to go back into a situation where the dreaded WAF comes into play well..... 

 

At the end of the day like everything else HiFi is a balancing act well it is for me now if I were to win the Lottery and could afford a dedicated listening room well those big Genelecs might just tick a lot of boxes.    It's all about the music isn't it ?  

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11155
RE: Best Speakers

steve_1979 wrote:
Hifi shops don't sell many units per day but they still need to make enough profit to stay in business. I think that a 100% markup is reasonable considering they have to pay all the bills that hoops mentions above AND make a profit.

As I say, we can only wish for those sorts of margins. Chances are, if certain dealers were given that margin, they'd only sell it for a huge discount price anyway, so it'd bring down the 'street price', which is quite different to the rrp.

And you wouldn't believe some of the pathetic things we have to pay for...

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

Theo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 5 days ago
Joined: 16/11/2011 - 08:43
Posts: 29
RE: Best Speakers

 

 

>> Best Speakers

I would say without a shadow of a doubt its PMC and everyone should audition the SE series. 

If you can afford it and you have the space for it, your speaker journey will most likely end with a PMC SE.

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/se-series

 

relocated's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 20/01/2012 - 12:40
Posts: 978
RE: Best Speakers RE: Best Speakers

hoopsontoast wrote:

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

relocated wrote:
David, you are completely wasted just selling stereo and av.  With an answer like that you should be answering questions on behalf of the Labour Party about all their current policies.

Why, just because you think I'm lying? Just because you think it, doesn't make it so.

 

Quote:
Strange that some  of us saw a certain dealers price list and some of their mark-up was better than 100% on certain products.  Perhaps your suppliers don't give you such good discounts.  You have a HDD account,  I'm sure someone will give you the detail if you ask nicely.  

There are no products for a dealer that are 100%. Why are dealers closing down if they're making 100%? Hell, if it was all 100% margins I'd open up my own shop! 

A distributor selling direct at retail prices might make 100% or get close to, but no retailers in the hi-fi/AV sector.

 

I think he is mis-reading margins and thinking that the cost you pay and the cost you sell for is good clean profit. How dare you have to pay for electricity, heating, shop rent, council bills, staff, and actually pay to have stock in the shop, you know, that people can audition.

And the fact that the RRP includes VAT....

 

No offence Hoops, but if you actually read the pieces, that you and the salesman have quoted, you might just find that there is NO reference to PROFIT at all by me.  I refer only to mark up.  Being moderately intelligent and having had a friend who had a hifi business I can get to grips with what expenses have to be calculated before making a profit .

This doesn't  apply to you Hoops, but in the rush to criticise AVI musings people don't actually read what is written.  They view it with their twisted ideas and 'read' what suits their anti-AVI bias.  It is therefore a gift to someone like me because I am a pedantic edited who relishes pulling apart inaccurate rantings.

All you anti-AVI-ites are your own worst enemies.  You rant on inaccurately which just gives me even more opportunities to write AVI this and AVI that.  The evidence is before you in this thread.  Because of the rantings against AVI owners there are people who are intrigued to find out what the fuss is all about.

If JJ wasn't so hopelessly rabid I could more easily think of him as an AVI plant to allow more forum inches with the AVI name bandied about.

Whoever said that we should have our system in our signature is quite right.  If people are honest and declare their system it does or can put their comments into perspective.

Hopefully, thank you for reading my little piece.

Apple lossless - Netgear Nighthawk - ATV3 - AVI ADM 40.  

AVI ADM 9T used in my wife's system

relocated's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 20/01/2012 - 12:40
Posts: 978
RE: Best Speakers

Novaportian wrote:

Well said Drummerman,

 

People should feel free to recommend any kit that they own or have at least heard. After all, I have made a demo short list of some of my kit based on folks opinions here and on other forums. 

 

If some people claim that their kit is the best then I would personally just smile because it all comes down to personal taste. If any newbies looking at this thread are put off, then my advice is to demo as much as you can, be confident with your choice. You don't need to justify your purchase to anyone but yourself (or maybe the Mrs!)

 

I would respect anyone who posts on why they like their kit, rather than make claims to being the best. I'm actually going to demo my brother's ADM9s soon as a potential second system. I would join HDD to seek some opinions but I think if it became known I  have a black box with Naim on I would be flamed! 

 

Life is too short to get hung up on arguments, especially based around electrical goods. Me, I just want to listen to music and enjoy it  Dance 4

 

Cheers, Nick

Nick,  You absolutely would not get flamed at all.  Most people have been down various hifi roads and have owned Naim and all sorts of other stuff and some still do.  The only time you get flamed or kicked off is if you deliberately post to be a pain in the bottom.  Ash insists that people treat each other with respect.  He even encourages people who do or are going to manufacture a competitor product to join in the forum, eg Moos.

Come on in, join up and have a civilised communication with other hifi[and other passtimes] lovers.

Apple lossless - Netgear Nighthawk - ATV3 - AVI ADM 40.  

AVI ADM 9T used in my wife's system

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 49 min 22 sec ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3541
RE: Best Speakers

Ive seen the trade prices for Naim and Audiolab and they are certainly over 100%, for example £340 trade and retail £800. No surprise there that is typical for many retailers. I don't know how many hifi shops survive as carry a lot of gear have 3-4 staff in a small shop, never mind the high rates. 

hoopsontoast's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/10/2011 - 13:08
Posts: 882
RE: Best Speakers RE: Best Speakers

relocated wrote:

hoopsontoast wrote:

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

relocated wrote:
David, you are completely wasted just selling stereo and av.  With an answer like that you should be answering questions on behalf of the Labour Party about all their current policies.

Why, just because you think I'm lying? Just because you think it, doesn't make it so.

 

Quote:
Strange that some  of us saw a certain dealers price list and some of their mark-up was better than 100% on certain products.  Perhaps your suppliers don't give you such good discounts.  You have a HDD account,  I'm sure someone will give you the detail if you ask nicely.  

There are no products for a dealer that are 100%. Why are dealers closing down if they're making 100%? Hell, if it was all 100% margins I'd open up my own shop! 

A distributor selling direct at retail prices might make 100% or get close to, but no retailers in the hi-fi/AV sector.

 

I think he is mis-reading margins and thinking that the cost you pay and the cost you sell for is good clean profit. How dare you have to pay for electricity, heating, shop rent, council bills, staff, and actually pay to have stock in the shop, you know, that people can audition.

And the fact that the RRP includes VAT....

 

No offence Hoops, but if you actually read the pieces, that you and the salesman have quoted, you might just find that there is NO reference to PROFIT at all by me.  I refer only to mark up.  Being moderately intelligent and having had a friend who had a hifi business I can get to grips with what expenses have to be calculated before making a profit .

This doesn't  apply to you Hoops, but in the rush to criticise AVI musings people don't actually read what is written.  They view it with their twisted ideas and 'read' what suits their anti-AVI bias.  It is therefore a gift to someone like me because I am a pedantic edited who relishes pulling apart inaccurate rantings.

All you anti-AVI-ites are your own worst enemies.  You rant on inaccurately which just gives me even more opportunities to write AVI this and AVI that.  The evidence is before you in this thread.  Because of the rantings against AVI owners there are people who are intrigued to find out what the fuss is all about.

If JJ wasn't so hopelessly rabid I could more easily think of him as an AVI plant to allow more forum inches with the AVI name bandied about.

Whoever said that we should have our system in our signature is quite right.  If people are honest and declare their system it does or can put their comments into perspective.

Hopefully, thank you for reading my little piece.

[EDITED BY MODS - CAN THE PERSONAL INSULTS PLEASE STOP PLEASE?]

Smile

Electro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 30/03/2011 - 11:34
Posts: 1216
RE: Best Speakers

Theo wrote:

 

 

>> Best Speakers

I would say without a shadow of a doubt its PMC and everyone should audition the SE series. 

If you can afford it and you have the space for it, your speaker journey will most likely end with a PMC SE.

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/se-series

 

You're not wrong  Smile

Main system .

Electrocompaniet EMC 1 up , Monarchy Audio DIP, ECD 1 dac , EC4.8 preamp , 2x AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC Pb1i speakers .

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11155
RE: Best Speakers

BigH wrote:
Ive seen the trade prices for Naim and Audiolab and they are certainly over 100%, for example £340 trade and retail £800. No surprise there that is typical for many retailers. I don't know how many hifi shops survive as carry a lot of gear have 3-4 staff in a small shop, never mind the high rates. 

Well I can tell you now that those figures apply to neither of those manufacturers.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

Overdose's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3350
RE: Best Speakers

Novaportian wrote:

I would respect anyone who posts on why they like their kit, rather than make claims to being the best. I'm actually going to demo my brother's ADM9s soon as a potential second system. I would join HDD to seek some opinions but I think if it became known I  have a black box with Naim on I would be flamed! 

I'm fairly sure that you would be welcomed, unless you were being an RSS that is. Wink :grin:

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Best Speakers

 

oldric_naubhoff wrote:

jcbrum wrote:

The sound quality is better than anything else, and the distortions are lower.

I'm not going to ask you to pove the first part of that statement because, as they say, the beauty is in the ears of the listener. But could you possibly forward distortion mesurements of those "wonders"? Make sure you get some measurements for deep bass too. Something like for 40 - 50 Hz. I'm really curious how they stack against the best.

 

Hi

We're a company that publishes it's test results.

This one is for our 'typical' 2-way speaker, the Caterthuns.

XTZ ProII

This is what they look like.

Caterthun pair in English Oak

And they only cost £1999.

We think they are the best loudspeaker, whether you love music or movies.

Jon + AA Team

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 15885
RE: Best Speakers

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

BigH wrote:
Ive seen the trade prices for Naim and Audiolab and they are certainly over 100%, for example £340 trade and retail £800. No surprise there that is typical for many retailers. I don't know how many hifi shops survive as carry a lot of gear have 3-4 staff in a small shop, never mind the high rates. 

Well I can tell you now that those figures apply to neither of those manufacturers.

Let's have a link to these trade prices.  If they are on paper I am sure someone can scan/photograph them and link them from flickr.

 

 

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

Overdose's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3350
RE: Best Speakers

chebby wrote:

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

BigH wrote:
Ive seen the trade prices for Naim and Audiolab and they are certainly over 100%, for example £340 trade and retail £800. No surprise there that is typical for many retailers. I don't know how many hifi shops survive as carry a lot of gear have 3-4 staff in a small shop, never mind the high rates. 

Well I can tell you now that those figures apply to neither of those manufacturers.

Let's have a link to these trade prices.  If they are on paper I am sure someone can scan/photograph them and link them from flickr.

You might need to ask some of the guys on the AVI forum, some saved the pages before they were withdrawn and the link was on a section not open to the general public. The link now goes to a dead page.

BigH is right in what he said he saw BTW.

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11155
RE: Best Speakers

If he was right I'd have kept quiet. But he's not, so I didn't.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

altruistic.lemon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 25/07/2011 - 09:18
Posts: 1865
RE: Best Speakers

Come on! Ever gone into any shop or supermarket and asked them to publish their trade prices? They'll all tell you quickly what to do.

Remember too that Hi Fi shops do provide a service, in that you can compare different products. That doesn't happen with direct sellers. Also, do you know what AVI's profit margin is? I'm guessing it's more than the average HiFi retailer's is. 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments