26 posts / 0 new
Last post
plastic penguin's picture
RE: Applying 1980 values . . .

CJSF wrote:

Ho-Hum . . . at least it did generate some response?

As it was TT one was dealing with, I thought that those who own or the desire to own a TT might have gained something from the experience?  Seems I cant win? . . . but I did win . . . you bet I have won.:cheer:

CJSF

In addition to The_Lhc's and Chebby's comments, forums are a strange things: Some threads generate 50 or more replies and the next and subsequent threads only receive one or two replies. Speaking personally, if I don't reply it's because either I have no idea about the subject or feel I can't add positively to previous replies.

Up until fairly recently, when WHFI re-jigged the site, you used to be able to see how many 'views' each subject got. On numerous occasions - threads of mine - got several hundred views, yet nobody replied...

Keep contributing to other peoples turntable/cartridge dilemmas, and keep us updated on your current bundle.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Charlie Jefferson's picture

Hi CJ,

Personally I really enjoy your posts - whether they mirror my own concerns or not. You have opinions, queries, anxieties and deliberations which is why they are readable. 

As you acknowledge, they are often thoughts aloud, but there are many rewards for the reader who cares to give you the good grace to seek them out. 

Keep it coming, and know that there are plenty of us who will read, contemplate and occasionally respond. 

Peace etc 

chebby's picture

Horlicks time again last night with Hazel. . . miserere on the P5????. . . broken bell vinyl perfection but was it!!!  Decided to investigate Ovaltine to see if last bit of jigsaw missing from '80s memory. . . went to all local dealers (Tesco, newsagent, ASDA) but got typical 'bandwagon' responses when asking for demo samples (not like this 20 years ago in the early 1980s when dealers really new there stuff. . .hmmm)

Only wanted tin of of each to take home to try out. . . told them would bring back both and only want small discount taken off one I kept. . . unacceptable now apparently. Have to pay before drinking . . . phoned lovely chap who used to do all my malted milk supplies in 1980s???? (back before lazy digital shops when we had proper corner shops with experts in aprons and british racing green coffee grinders!!!!) . . . 50 mile trip with sandwiches and flask from lovely Hazel . . . came back with Ovaltine, cocoa, hot chocolate, Horlicks on loan. . . despite not having seen him for 40 years since the mid '80s (This guy knows how to keep his customers!!!!)

Spent 5 hours with all of my favourite track (miserere) tyring out each drink in turn. . .  and different combinations !!!! (no half measures or 'pour n play' here . . . 1980s all the way my friend and no 'bandwagons'????!!!!)

Give it a few more weeks before deciding???? (????) but the 'tweaker' in me found out that replacing bearing oil with Horlicks gives the mids and highs more midness and highness especially on tracks like 'miserere'. . . lazy digital 'bandwagon' folk would never have found this out because they can't just download this sort of thing???? (or '!!!!' I lose count sometimes . . .)

Maybe it'll never sound like my old 'deluded' SPU but . . . yes Horlicks is definitely the one for me . . . they must use silver in the foil that seals the Ovaltine tins !!!! ('bandwagons' again you see????) . . nasty, screachy, tinny stuff. . .

Slippers, Hazel, Horlicks, wet Labrador, open fire, gentle grinding noise from P5 bearing, miserere. . . bliss . . . this is what it's all about . . . keep your nasty 'plug n play' digital bandwagon nonsense.

CFSJ

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

The_Lhc's picture

The nominations for "Best Post of 2012" are now closed...  :cheers: Genius...

CJSF's picture

I have just been out to return a MC phono stage to my friendly local dealer and walk the dog.  An hour of pondering on negativity did me no good:wall:  Thanks for the refreshing positive thoughts . . . if I could come to the perfect conclusion on my own, one would not need to post or have a forum?  Plus the outcome of the thought, discussion and advise, surly helps other?  One thing for sure, we ain't dealing with 'plug and play' . . . :? :cheers:

CJSF

CJSF's picture

Chebby . . . I think you have been in the sun to long, or at the bottle of 'Bells 20 year vintage' . . . ?

Whats the matter mate . . . cant handle it  when it all comes out right in the end . . . :boohoo:

CJSF

The_Lhc's picture

CJSF wrote:

Chebby . . . I think you have been in the sun to long, or at the bottle of 'Bells 20 year vintage' . . . ?

Whats the matter mate . . . cant handle it  when it all comes out right in the end . . . :boohoo:

CJSF

Get over yourself mate, it's a joke, a very clever and accurate one at that.

CJSF's picture

The_Lhc wrote:

CJSF wrote:

CJSF

Jokes can be in bad taste . . .  I'll get my coat, leave you to get on with your selves!

The_Lhc's picture

CJSF wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

CJSF wrote:

CJSF

Jokes can be in bad taste 

Yes they can but that one wasn't.

BenLaw's picture

I hope the appropriate saying to resolve any disagreement is: 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'  Smile

Pages