91 posts / 0 new
Last post
Baldrick1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 13/01/2013 - 10:34
Posts: 111
RE: Rotel RA-12 Amp Anyone?

Andy Madden wrote:

Hi guys,

FYI there is an RA-12 in the building and we'll be reviewing it in the March issue of the mag, out Feb 13th...

Hi Andy

Thanks for the heads up.  Although I have already bought an RA-11 (the little brother Wink but oh so musically sweet in my humble opinion) I will read the review with interest.  I suspect that the -11 & -12 are somewhat similar in a number of areas, so that should be revealing..and also suspect that after testing the -10 & -12 there will be no test for the -11.

Also, congrats to you khas...enjoy...as I am sure that you will. :clap:

Regards

 

Balders

Zax89swe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 19/04/2011 - 15:53
Posts: 153
RE: Rotel RA-12 Amp Anyone?

Since there is a bluetooth usb adapter including Does anyone knows if you can do streaming from a computer directly to the amplifier?

Rick1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 02/06/2011 - 17:07
Posts: 89
RE: Rotel RA-12 Amp Anyone?

Anyone heard this against the brio r / Dac combo? Would be interesting to see how they compare considering it works out £400 cheaper :?

Baldrick1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 13/01/2013 - 10:34
Posts: 111
RE: Rotel RA-12 Amp Anyone?

Zax89swe wrote:

Since there is a bluetooth usb adapter including Does anyone knows if you can do streaming from a computer directly to the amplifier?

Hi Zax89swe

Have tried steaming an iPod & iPad to my RA-11 via the dongle but have not yet tried anything else but I cannot see why you could not as the dongl broadcast's it presence clearly and as long as you can receive that you should be able to connect...as long as your PC is close enough to the amp...as Bluetooth range is relatively short.

I do not have a Bluetooth card in my PC but do in my laptop so will try out connecting with that and seeing if that works. :?

Regards

 

Balders

Baldrick1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 13/01/2013 - 10:34
Posts: 111
RE: Rotel RA-12 Amp Anyone?

Rick1979 wrote:

Anyone heard this against the brio r / Dac combo? Would be interesting to see how they compare considering it works out £400 cheaper :?

Hi Rick

Interesting question.  I have heard both amps (the Rotel more than the Rega) and I think that whether or not the Rotel is cheaper than the combo I think that they are so very different in sounds that not combo/combo price comparison would be a bit superfluous unless you have no strong preference to the sound, colouration, etc., of different amps (and by this I am not saying that one amp is better than the other...just very different musically...IMHO). :grin:

But that is just little ol' me.

Regards

 

Balders

khas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/01/2013 - 19:29
Posts: 22
RE: Rotel RA-12 Amp Anyone?

Zax89swe

for working dongle-install on pc  Bluesoleil soft!

khas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/01/2013 - 19:29
Posts: 22
RE: Rotel RA-12 Amp Anyone?

 my AS cable Raptor 2x2,5 mm change Supra Sky 2x4mm.I have more big bass RA-12 with Supra 4mm!im very happy with Rotel RA-12  :)!

 

p.s.:RA-12 >>>Rega Brio  Smile  RA-12 much better Wink

khas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/01/2013 - 19:29
Posts: 22
RE: Rotel RA-12 Amp Anyone?

 my AS cable Raptor 2x2,5 mm change Supra Sky 2x4mm.I have more big bass RA-12 with Supra 4mm!im very happy with Rotel RA-12  :)!

 

p.s.:RA-12 >>>Rega Brio  Smile  RA-12 much better Wink

BigColz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 18/06/2012 - 14:57
Posts: 304
RE: Rotel RA-12 Amp Anyone?

Has anyone heard or compared this amp recently? Going to book a demo for 3 weekends time for a friend probably with B&W 685's.. I have a feeling I may end up loving it and sell up all my high end gear, buy a NAS 6TB, iPad, ATV, Sonos connect, 20+ CD's and still have a few grand to put towards a Golf Rallye or M3  :clap: :pray: :cheers:

Baldrick1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 13/01/2013 - 10:34
Posts: 111
RE: Rotel RA-12 Amp Anyone?

BigColz wrote:

Has anyone heard or compared this amp recently? Going to book a demo for 3 weekends time for a friend probably with B&W 685's.. I have a feeling I may end up loving it and sell up all my high end gear, buy a NAS 6TB, iPad, ATV, Sonos connect, 20+ CD's and still have a few grand to put towards a Golf Rallye or M3  :clap: :pray: :cheers:

If the RA-12 is anything like the RA-11, which I have the pleasure of owning, you are in for a treat IMHO.  The RA-11 has, in my opinion, great control, great cohesion & a good degree of musicality but not so much as to be what I would call 'over musical', if that makes any sense?  It ticks all the boxes for me.  I suspect that they are very similar only that the RA-12 cranks up the wattage.

Believe that someone advised that the RA-12 is due to be reviewed in the upcoming issue so you should have access to that given your timeframe.

Only thing that I would say is that I considered buying 685s but found them a bit thin (something to do with the Titanium HF?) with the Rotel amps, which I think one could say is fairly neutral sounding in terms of warmth.  I ended up going Q300s as a better match...may be worth seeing if you can get a comparison of 685s vs Q300s also?

BigColz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 18/06/2012 - 14:57
Posts: 304
RE: Rotel RA-12 Amp Anyone?

Baldrick1 wrote:

BigColz wrote:

Has anyone heard or compared this amp recently? Going to book a demo for 3 weekends time for a friend probably with B&W 685's.. I have a feeling I may end up loving it and sell up all my high end gear, buy a NAS 6TB, iPad, ATV, Sonos connect, 20+ CD's and still have a few grand to put towards a Golf Rallye or M3  :clap: :pray: :cheers:

If the RA-12 is anything like the RA-11, which I have the pleasure of owning, you are in for a treat IMHO.  The RA-11 has, in my opinion, great control, great cohesion & a good degree of musicality but not so much as to be what I would call 'over musical', if that makes any sense?  It ticks all the boxes for me.  I suspect that they are very similar only that the RA-12 cranks up the wattage.

Believe that someone advised that the RA-12 is due to be reviewed in the upcoming issue so you should have access to that given your timeframe.

Only thing that I would say is that I considered buying 685s but found them a bit thin (something to do with the Titanium HF?) with the Rotel amps, which I think one could say is fairly neutral sounding in terms of warmth.  I ended up going Q300s as a better match...may be worth seeing if you can get a comparison of 685s vs Q300s also?

 

Ok great cheers.. I'll bear that in mind for the dem.. I def hate a bright/thin sound as long as it doesn't sound muddy or fluffy.. I did see about that review and look forward too it.. I will probably add a sub so low end may not be a problem.. Will have to see. Thanks

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 3880
RE: Rotel RA-12 Amp Anyone?

I used to have a RA971 MK2 - I actually thought this was an incredible amp for the money!

If I was in the market for an amp/dac combo then I think the RA12 would be it, shame as when I bought my Rega combo the RA12 was not out!

BTW I dont think the Rotel has a phono stage only a phono input - a negative for me!

 

Michell / Icon Audio / Kudos

 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Rotel RA-12 Amp Anyone?

Can anyone confirm if this has a phono stage for turntables?

BigColz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 18/06/2012 - 14:57
Posts: 304
RE: Rotel RA-12 Amp Anyone?

heyalbert wrote:

Can anyone confirm if this has a phono stage for turntables?

 

it has phono in but no phono stage..

Zax89swe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 19/04/2011 - 15:53
Posts: 153
RE: Rotel RA-12 Amp Anyone?

In latest mag rotel ra-12 didnt manage 5 stars, they say rotel ra-10 is more engaging so maybe rotel ra11 got some unexpected advantages over the bigger brother. you can find the hardware differences in this picture http://oi46.tinypic.com/vpkw7k.jpg . Anyone tried bluetooth streaming from a computer get?

Pages

Log in or register to post comments