66 posts / 0 new
Last post
DandyCobalt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/10/2010 - 14:58
Posts: 1430
RE: Dire Straits SACDs

BigColz wrote:

I have regular 16/44.1 remasters on FLAC that i got of a torrent site and it's some of the best remastering i've heard and my kit is very reveiling so i'd save your cash as it sounds incredible as it is.. Unless you're a die hard fan i guess

If you illegally downloaded it, because you wouldn''t have bought it, then found it was really good...er, get yer wallet out or its theft.

How about a compromise BigColz - £1 to the next charity box you pass in the street?

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3504
RE: Dire Straits SACDs

BigColz wrote:

Good luck with that

I don't need the luck, you do.

You sit there thinking you're untouchable and you sleep at night because as far as you see it you're committing a crime without a victim. But you're wrong. It's still theft.

Just about the least I'd do if I was a mod on here is hit the 'Ban' button on your account.  But it seems moderators round here are like policemen: never around when you want one.

Shame you don't live up to your name, BigColz. Theft is not big.

daytona600's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/10/2012 - 21:29
Posts: 88
RE: Dire Straits SACDs

you can get brothers in arms on sacd for under a tenner , 60bucks is just a joke

if you have a high end sacd player , they can sound superb in stereo or 5.1

or rip them on a PS1 and play them on a DSD Dac like playback , mytek , benchmark

DSD direct stream digital downloads with replace Sacds in the future 

altruistic.lemon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 25/07/2011 - 09:18
Posts: 1865
RE: Dire Straits SACDs

"Brothers in Arms" was recorded in 16/44. Any difference you hear is in the remastering, not the format. Avoid the 2005 release.

Fee's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 14/05/2009 - 21:41
Posts: 15
RE: Dire Straits SACDs

altruistic.lemon wrote:

"Brothers in Arms" was recorded in 16/44. Any difference you hear is in the remastering, not the format. Avoid the 2005 release.

How do you know if it's the 2005 release? My copy, which sounds pretty good, says Newly Remastered with new sleeve notes etc on it but has 1996 copyright all over it, no mention of 2005 that I can see, but I can't remember exactly when I got it.

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 3932
RE: Dire Straits SACDs

i have the copy thats says digitally remastered on the spine looking at the front of the case - sounds excellent to me!

 

Michell / Icon Audio / Kudos

 

ReValveiT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 18 hours ago
Joined: 02/08/2010 - 16:44
Posts: 198
RE: Dire Straits SACDs

Exactly. (In reply to altruistic.lemon)

 

It can never 'sound better' than CD because it was both recorded AND mastered (the original studio master) in 16/44.1.

 

As I said earlier, a complete remix would not yeald a higher bitrate, because the original tracking was done in 16/44.1.

 

The only possible way would be to re-record the album from scratch. Better get on to Mark.

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6319
RE: Dire Straits SACDs

BigColz wrote:

MajorFubar wrote:
I'm going to have to offer my sincerest apologies to the O/P for taking this thread off topic but:
BigColz wrote:
Sorry you feel so strongly about it but I support the bands and music I love and then stuff I wouldn't buy anyway I download..
...no matter what your reasons are, that doesn't make what you're doing 'ok'. It's like saying you buy from the shops you respect but you steal from the rest.

 

Thing is I wouldn't have bought it in a shop so I certainly wouldn't steal it.. Think of it like I borrowed the CD of a mate, ripped it on my computer to see what it sounds like on my Hifi.. They haven't lost money because I would never have bought it in the first place.. You're right it's not 'ok' but meh it doesn't bother me. 

 

Self justifying nonsense. You are pathetic. 

dariushifi's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 13 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 18:35
Posts: 68
RE: Dire Straits SACDs

Stormboy wrote:

Hi

Yesterday, I discovered that Acoustic Sounds have a set of Japanese inport SACDs for all of the Dire Straits albums up to Borthers in Arms (including Alchemy). At US$ 60 ea, they are expensive but if they are a step up from the CDs, I am interested. Does anyone know if these are any good.

Few months ago I took a plunge , I mean a real plunge and ordered two shm-sacds Queen Innuendo, and another tubular bells ( sold on e-bay the next day). If you are in UK you will be charged additional £ 15 by customs. So I ended up paying  £138. I know, I know...

I kept Innuendo album ( long time Queen fan), although I have to admit I was expecting more from it. Yes, Sound was clean, polished, Superb Stereo image and looked like well recorded  CD, but not as a true SACD and not for this price. In the end it is 1991 recording and it is only 're-mastered'. Studio can not  travel  back in time and re-record it with SHM SACD technology in mind.   

However I believe that this two chanel only SACD format properly recorded in real time would be the best what we ‘Quality sound seekers’  can only wish for. It is shame that these CDs are made only in Japan and only local artists can record  it in real time and embrace this format.

 

pauln's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 3 sec ago
Joined: 26/02/2008 - 13:10
Posts: 700
RE: Dire Straits SACDs RE: Dire Straits SACDs

In the days of vinyl it used to be common practise for us poor students to lend each other our albums and copy them onto cassettes. I suppose that was theft as well but nobody seemed too concerned about it; there was no way we could afford to buy everything. One chap I knew had over a thousand cassettes each with 2 albums on.

Has the perception of this practise somehow changed with the advent of torrents and pristine digital copies instead of cheap hissy cassettes?

How many here can honestly put their hands up and say that they have never done anything like this with audio or video?

If one adopts this whiter than white approach, can that person claim that for everything in life? Never exceeded the speed limit, never parked where you shouldn't, never went to a pub before you were 18, never smoked a joint??

"Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone"

baz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 27/08/2011 - 12:04
Posts: 51
RE: Dire Straits SACDs

Hear hear Pauln.....the voice of reason speaks ! 

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3504
RE: Dire Straits SACDs RE: Dire Straits SACDs

it's how stone-faced and blasé he is about it on a public forum that amazed me...

Also amazed by the low-profile this site's mods are keeping about it tbh.

Should we have members on here who have no issue with admitting they torrent and stream music illegally whenever the whim takes them?  It's alright having a disclaimer somewhere* saying that the views and opinions expressed on the forums are not necessarily those of the magazine, its staff or its publishers, but exactly what crime has someone got to admit to on here before it's seen as a step too far?

*not that I have actually seen such a disclaimer...I'm sure there must be one somewhere.

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6319
RE: Dire Straits SACDs RE: Dire Straits SACDs

pauln wrote:

In the days of vinyl it used to be common practise for us poor students to lend each other our albums and copy them onto cassettes. I suppose that was theft as well but nobody seemed too concerned about it; there was no way we could afford to buy everything. One chap I knew had over a thousand cassettes each with 2 albums on.

Has the perception of this practise somehow changed with the advent of torrents and pristine digital copies instead of cheap hissy cassettes?

How many here can honestly put their hands up and say that they have never done anything like this with audio or video?

If one adopts this whiter than white approach, can that person claim that for everything in life? Never exceeded the speed limit, never parked where you shouldn't, never went to a pub before you were 18, never smoked a joint??

"Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone"

 

Given his kit list, and the 'justification' he's provided, I don't think bigcolz has the excuse of poverty. So I don't see your point? People should never reform if they did something in their past? People shouldn't point out wrongdoing? We all love music and what bigcolz does is not only illegal but damages our hobby in the long term. We can't stop people stealing music but surely we should abstain from it ourselves and point out that it's wrong when others do it?

Al ears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 23/11/2008 - 19:20
Posts: 3024
RE: Dire Straits SACDs

daytona600 wrote:

you can get brothers in arms on sacd for under a tenner , 60bucks is just a joke

if you have a high end sacd player , they can sound superb in stereo or 5.1

or rip them on a PS1 and play them on a DSD Dac like playback , mytek , benchmark

DSD direct stream digital downloads with replace Sacds in the future 

It's because they are SHM-SACD's :wall:

 

Motto: Never pay full price for anything, there is always room to haggle!

Tom Evans Audio Design amplification / Acoustic Zen speakers.

Al ears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 23/11/2008 - 19:20
Posts: 3024
RE: Dire Straits SACDs

ReValveiT wrote:

EOf coxactly. (In reply to altruistic.lemon)

 

It can never 'sound better' than CD because it was both recorded AND mastered (the original studio master) in 16/44.1.

 

As I said earlier, a complete remix would not yeald a higher bitrate, because the original tracking was done in 16/44.1.

 

The only possible way would be to re-record the album from scratch. Better get on to Mark.

Of course it can sound better than CD. Even if the master is a 16/44.1 recording it is upsampled when recorded onto SACD

 

Motto: Never pay full price for anything, there is always room to haggle!

Tom Evans Audio Design amplification / Acoustic Zen speakers.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments