26 posts / 0 new
Last post
quadpatch's picture
RE: V-Moda M-100 - Full Review

I used to have the SR80's. They are a good airy and agressive headphone but not exactly the most refined. Are you only looking at closed back over-ears now?

dalethorn's picture

quadpatch wrote:
You know what I only skim read it before and now I have finally read it properly and I see what you mean. Hmm, oh well. Does that puts you off buying them for good then?

I'm not in a hurry to buy the M100, so maybe if I don't get lucky and get a sample then I'll consider it later. I suppose I shouldn't expect miracles here, but since Val quit his Facebook Centurions (closed group) page completely to throw in with the head-fi people, and he basically (in my opinion) got stiffed by those people via their crowd-sourced sound, I would like to see him say it was a mistake, or at least say "Next time I'm going to do things differently" - something, anything that suggests he's going to get back on the righteous path and avoid those "fun" headphone signatures.

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.

dalethorn's picture

Zubkabera wrote:
I have question for Dale, out of your own stock of headphones "Shure 1840, Sennheiser Momentum, ATH ESW9a, Phiaton MS300/400, VModa M80, B&W P5, "which is your preferred headphone to use with DF

I would say the Momentum, because the Dragonfly is a lean sound and the Momentum would provide the best complement to that sound. The other headphones, especially the 1840, sound a little too lean with that DAC. The Phiaton MS400 would probably also be a good match, but I haven't had a chance to test that yet. Quadpatch has experience with amps that work better with the leaner headphones, solid state amps even, but those probably cost a lot more.

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.

Zubkabera's picture

Hi Quadpatch,

I am definitely looking for closed back OTH for private listening and not to bother my better half when she is busy watching soaps :).

My key requirements are treble should be sweet but not bright or harsh and bass should be tight and punchy but not boomy and should not overwhelm the treble and midrange, it should produce vocals specially female's with authority and not veiled behind music.

In past I have tried several Sennheiser not the 6 series but 5 series and always found them bit bassy and mid-range bloated and not detailed enough to recognize individual instruments, hence never went back to Senns. I also have Shure SE535 and like how vocals are produced and love the sweet treble bit miss a bit bass extension. I wish it was possible to have the sweet treble of Shure and bass of Senns. May be too much to ask :oops:

dalethorn's picture

Looking over my long list of headphones, mostly closed, and considering a really nice sweet treble and good bass extension and impact, without any veiling of the mids, only two come to mind immediately. One is the ATH ESW9a, and the other the Apple Earpods with the Dirac DSP and music player.

The ESW9a should have about the same midrange and bass, but would need a slight treble boost to equal the DSP'd Earpods. The free Earpods do not qualify. Leakage is about the same I think, but isolation would favor the ESW9a. Soundstage I can't guess. With a good amp the ESW9a would scale up. And I'm not stretching it on the Earpods with that player.

I spent the last few hours with another 50 tracks trying to find important differences in these headphones, and all (including my open-back Shure 1840) played things with enough clarity and balance to effect a good musical experience. Until I got to my ultimate test track for those finely-detailed upper harmonics. The Who - Bargain, a track my wife found for me in testing electrostatics -vs- dynamics. At approx. 55 seconds in, where the voice trails off with "...best I ever had", the word 'had' reproduces those details very well on the 1840, even better on the Senn HD800, and not too well on the Senn Momentum or ATH ESW9a. But the Earpods get very close to the 1840, and are much better than the Momentum or ESW9a.

dalethorn's picture

I wrote the following on another forum, but this is a good place to repeat that analysis, since this is the M100 review and questions were asked about a good closed headphone for general listening. The last sentence, saying the M100 can be a good listen with EQ, but not a relaxed listen, is best explained in Edd's review.

I have the M100, Momentum, and P5 now. Not much of a really good comparison possible, since the basic signatures are so different that speaking about clarity or other fine qualities, those qualities are dwarfed by the much bigger differences. My personal quick summary is P5: Pretty neutral, very slightly tilted to the right (warmer, softer highs) from flat or neutral. Momentum: Bassier than P5, richer sound overall (makes P5 sound bland by comparison), but very slightly more HF rolloff. M100: Very bassy, makes mids seem recessed. Slightly uneven highs can make some material sound brittle or glassy. I think the P5 and Momentum are good all-arounders, the P5 more for the conservative purist and the Momentum for the person who doesn't care about purism or whatever and wants to enjoy its richer sound. I can't advise on using the M100 played flat, since that's basshead territory where I have no expertise. But with some bass reduction the M100 can be a pretty good listen, but it won't be a relaxed listen, if that makes sense.

quadpatch's picture

Hey Dale, It's nice to see that you have the M-100's now too, but any disappointment that you may feel with this sound I take no happiness in. I'm still annoyed at how much I don't want to keep using the M-100's, if only they were like the M-80 more! :(. 

I have since got the Momentum and I absolutely adore it! This is the kind of sound that I was roughly hoping for from the M-100, if only I could have had this in the M-100 chassis, but then again I also really like the looks of the Momentum and it seems to grow on me all the time. I like how it's slightly understated too.

After writing an avergae score (3 stars) on Amazon UK for the M-100 I nnoticed that AnakChan (of Head-fi) has come in there with a 5 star one. I'm not sure it's quite right that someone who lives in Japan, get's the M-100 for free and is personal friends with the CO of V-Moda is writing reviews for the UK Amazon, but there you go.

dalethorn's picture

quadpatch wrote:
Hey Dale, It's nice to see that you have the M-100's now too, but any disappointment that you may feel with this sound I take no happiness in. I'm still annoyed at how much I don't want to keep using the M-100's, if only they were like the M-80 more! 

I would never confuse the sound of the M80 with the M100, not even after a long night with some good Scotch.

quadpatch wrote:
I have since got the Momentum and I absolutely adore it! This is the kind of sound that I was roughly hoping for from the M-100, if only I could have had this in the M-100 chassis, but then again I also really like the looks of the Momentum and it seems to grow on me all the time. I like how it's slightly understated too.

Comparing the Momentum to the M100, hmmm.... -- that would be like comparing Field Of Dreams to The Untouchables. A very different mood.

quadpatch wrote:
After writing an avergae score (3 stars) on Amazon UK for the M-100 I nnoticed that AnakChan (of Head-fi) has come in there with a 5 star one. I'm not sure it's quite right that someone who lives in Japan, get's the M-100 for free and is personal friends with the CO of V-Moda is writing reviews for the UK Amazon, but there you go.

I did give the M100 5 stars on Amazon U.S. since they're going to be my main at-home and portable for the time being. I will NOT, under any circumstances let go of my Momentum, since I'm quite convinced the Momentum sound is probably as close to heavenly as this mortal is likely to get. So the interesting thing will be my longer-term experience with this M100. In another few days or a week, I'll have a go at the Momentum, to see how that goes. I've done like this before, gotten a headphone with less than ideal sound and EQ'd it, then used it more or less exclusively for a period of time, then switched back to a favorite and been shocked at how far I've gone over the Sonic Cliff** with that new headphone, upon which I quickly dispose of that new discovery. I'm crossing my fingers and knocking on wood and caressing my rabbit's foot and shaking my mojo, hoping the M100 survives the cut when I switch back to the Momentum.

**I just made that up - cool, huh?

quadpatch's picture

Hey well at least the M-100's sound is consistant between units :). 

Yeah I don't want to compare the M-100 and the Momentum, it will annoy me too much! Although I'm curious how you get on with that Blum 3

I really love the Momentum! Great style inside and out! It's very pleasant and enjoyable. I have been wearing the Momentum as a portable for a couple of days but I'm a little worried about them. They're not as bullet proof as the M-100. The M-100 do make a decent headphone for outise use if you EQ them to hell but I still hate doing EQ adjustments. If I only owned one pair of headphones it wouldn't be too bad, as it is it would annoy me too much.

Haha @ Sonic Cliff, nice one! Is that the cliff of colouration? Smile

dalethorn's picture

Both my Momentum and M100 are expensive and good-looking headphones, so when I use them outdoors I keep them on my person. I don't worry about them getting damaged. OTOH, my $8000 USD watch gets banged around, because I walk on narrow crowded sidewalks every day and bang it into utility poles and the concrete sides of buildings. But the headphone is either on my head or around my neck, so it doesn't get bumped into anything. If it did, I'd be in more trouble than my headphone.

Pages