54 posts / 0 new
Last post
CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12295
Streamer League Table

The German magazine "Audio" has rated some of the streamers out there, so in case it's of interest, here are some of the scores:

Linn Klimax DS/1............148
Linn Akurate DS/1...........140
Linn Majik DS...............130
Cyrus Stream XP + PSX-R.....125

Yamaha NPS 2000.............110
Linn Sneaky.................110
Cyrus Stream XP.............110
Logitech Transporter........110

MF M1 Clic..................105

Denon DNP-720 A.............100
Nad C-446...................100
Marantz NA7004..............100
Rotel RDG 1520..............100
Sonos Bundle................100

Logi. Squeezebox 3...........95
Logi. S'box Touch............95
Logi. S'box Duet.............95
Sonos Zone Player............95

The way the scoring works, is that a 5 point difference gives a noticeable step up in performance.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 43 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16435
RE: Streamer League Table

Mmmm, no doubt this table was devised by men dressed in lederhosens, and sucking on Bratwursts and drinking vinegary wine.

It's only good news if you're a Linn fan, perhaps...8)

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Juzzie Wuzzie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 22 hours ago
Joined: 18/09/2007 - 16:18
Posts: 614
RE: Streamer League Table

Don't understand how a Sonos Bundle is better than a Sonos ZonePlayer?

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12295
RE: Streamer League Table

plastic penguin wrote:

Mmmm, no doubt this table was devised by men dressed in lederhosens, and sucking on Bratwursts and drinking vinegary wine.

It's only good news if you're a Linn fan, perhaps...8)

...or maybe ze Chermanz kno vot zare toking abowt. Wink

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Crocodile's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 15/01/2009 - 10:44
Posts: 773
RE: Streamer League Table

The performance of the Touch is pretty much universally recognised by anyone who's heard them (myself included) as being "a noticeable step up in performance" from the SB3. It's almost as well reported that that the Receiver in the Duet package is a little poorer than the SB3. So on the basis that they've all been scored equal, it would appear to be complete cobblers!

What was the source material? Presumably standard def to allow a fair comparison of those players that can't handle hi def?

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12295
RE: Streamer League Table

Crocodile wrote:

The performance of the Touch is pretty much universally recognised by anyone who's heard them (myself included) as being "a noticeable step up in performance" from the SB3. It's almost as well reported that that the Receiver in the Duet package is a little poorer than the SB3. So on the basis that they've all been scored equal, it would appear to be complete cobblers!

What was the source material? Presumably standard def to allow a fair comparison of those players that can't handle hi def?

I'm afraid I can't answer your question, as I only saw the league table (and don't read German).

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 43 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16435
RE: Streamer League Table

CnoEvil wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Mmmm, no doubt this table was devised by men dressed in lederhosens, and sucking on Bratwursts and drinking vinegary wine.

It's only good news if you're a Linn fan, perhaps...8)

...or maybe ze Chermanz kno vot zare toking abowt. ;)

Or maybe they don't. When you consider the Linn Akurate retails around the 4k + mark and the Majik is about 2.5k. Then look at the Rotel (700-800 approx) or the Marantz is about 700, it's hardly surprising the cheaper models lag behind.

I'd like to know how they came to this conclusion. In all fairness, WHFI do rate products within different price catagories, and give reasons why they rated it etc etc.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

altruistic.lemon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 25/07/2011 - 09:18
Posts: 1865
RE: Streamer League Table

Interesting tests in that magazine, as I discovered a few weeks back when struck down with the flu.

Can't remember much, but think the Supernait was one of the top ten best amplifiers, while the people's favourite, the Onkyo, didn't do so well. Creek, I remember, also rated well. You can see the results on their website, by the way.

 

PP, Audio rates against other amps irrespective of price, but also puts them into categories - outstanding, excellent etc.which includes a VFM rating. The Supernait mentioned rated highly against other amps costing as a minimum twice the price, so I'd think they were impartial. They also do technical tests, I think.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 43 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16435
RE: Streamer League Table

altruistic.lemon wrote:

Interesting tests in that magazine, as I discovered a few weeks back when struck down with the flu.

Can't remember much, but think the Supernait was one of the top ten best amplifiers, while the people's favourite, the Onkyo, didn't do so well. Creek, I remember, also rated well. You can see the results on their website, by the way.

 

PP, Audio rates against other amps irrespective of price, but also puts them into categories - outstanding, excellent etc.which includes a VFM rating. The Supernait mentioned rated highly against other amps costing as a minimum twice the price, so I'd think they were impartial. They also do technical tests, I think.

Perhaps, but I'm not privvy to this mag and looking at the tables Cno has shown there's little doubt that vastly more expensive streamers will rate higher than budget offerings. Perhaps they should've broken it down into different price catagories, and shown how they came to this conclusion.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

altruistic.lemon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 25/07/2011 - 09:18
Posts: 1865
RE: Streamer League Table

They do, when they test most items. Have a look at the website, and you'll see they are thorough. Also written in German, but if you use Chrome it isn't a problem.

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12295
RE: Streamer League Table

plastic penguin wrote:

Or maybe they don't. When you consider the Linn Akurate retails around the 4k + mark and the Majik is about 2.5k. Then look at the Rotel (700-800 approx) or the Marantz is about 700, it's hardly surprising the cheaper models lag behind.

I'd like to know how they came to this conclusion. In all fairness, WHFI do rate products within different price catagories, and give reasons why they rated it etc etc.

I suppose, by holding them all to the same standard, it allows you to see any "bright stars" that are good value, or vica versa....that is if you believe the findings.

TBF. You need to have heard the Linn DSs to know if their verdict is reasonable.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 43 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16435
RE: Streamer League Table

CnoEvil wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Or maybe they don't. When you consider the Linn Akurate retails around the 4k + mark and the Majik is about 2.5k. Then look at the Rotel (700-800 approx) or the Marantz is about 700, it's hardly surprising the cheaper models lag behind.

I'd like to know how they came to this conclusion. In all fairness, WHFI do rate products within different price catagories, and give reasons why they rated it etc etc.

I suppose, by holding them all to the same standard, it allows you to see any "bright stars" that are good value, or vica versa....that is if you believe the findings. TBF. You need to have heard the Linn DSs to know if their verdict is reasonable.

Your listings doesn't really show "bright stars". It goes from the most expensive at the top down to the cheapest at the bottom. It doesn't highlight any product that really excels for its price.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12295
RE: Streamer League Table

plastic penguin wrote:

Your listings doesn't really show "bright stars". It goes from the most expensive at the top down to the cheapest at the bottom. It doesn't highlight any product that really excels for its price.

The original table showed the prices, so you can pick the cheapest at each level (and see the expensive ones as well)....but you have to do the work.

One that stands out is the Yamaha, at its current price.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

altruistic.lemon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 25/07/2011 - 09:18
Posts: 1865
RE: Streamer League Table

PP, this isn't cno's list, it came from the magazine. Also, there is a standout streamer there, one which gains 110 pts but retails at half the price of the others in the 110 pt bracket.

altruistic.lemon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 25/07/2011 - 09:18
Posts: 1865
RE: Streamer League Table

Curses, beat me to it  Smile

tino's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 29/09/2011 - 07:36
Posts: 917
RE: Streamer League Table

altruistic.lemon wrote:

PP, this isn't cno's list, it came from the magazine. Also, there is a standout streamer there, one which gains 110 pts but retails at half the price of the others in the 110 pt bracket.

Can you guess what it is yet?  Wink

(PS ... It was actually £629 in a recent 10% off offer from a well known merchant)

I wonder what would happen if you took a 95 point transport e.g. the Squeezebox Touch and pushed it through a 140 point DAC? Would you end up with something equivalent to the higher end streamers and at a much lower price?

SBT • Wadia 151 • Aliante PF

Pages

Log in or register to post comments