38 posts / 0 new
Last post
gasolin's picture
RE: marantz cr603 still amazing

:O (Denon & Marantz is the same company,owners,family)

So what's best the Denon CEOL Piccolo or Marantz mcr503?  Ceol n8 or mcr603?

If i don't need the fancy extras Ceol piccolo and mcr503 have,wouldn't the Denon DRA-F109 (that i have) be the best,i mean isn't the amplifier the same as all the others denon's above the Denon M-D39DAB ? (and in mine theres a dac that i use which isn't in the mcr503)

Was thinking, if i where to upgrade in the near future, that i would get the Marantz MCR 603 that so many love, might just buy a dac instead.

chebby's picture

gasolin wrote:

If i don't need the fancy extras Ceol piccolo and mcr503 have,wouldn't the Denon DRA-F109 (that i have) be the best,i mean isn't the amplifier the same as all the others denon's above the Denon M-D39DAB ? (and in mine theres a dac that i use which isn't in the mcr503)

Was thinking, if i where to upgrade in the near future, that i would get the Marantz MCR 603 that so many love, might just buy a dac instead.

Ok. Sorry but I have no idea what's 'best'. There were no Denon CEOLs at the time I got my M-CR603. (I bought the Marantz because it had exactly the connectivity and functions/sources that I needed and nothing else did right then.)

The M-CR503 is moot point because Marantz stopped making them quite a while ago.

At the time of the first Denon CEOL review, WHF didn't think there was much in it (between that and the Marantz) but gave the M-CR603 the edge on sound quality and build/finish in a group test.

I already had my system sorted so the original Denon CEOL didn't interest me (nor the newer N8 version) so I have never needed to compare them.

I might get the CEOL N5 Piccolo  (for a spare room system) where - like you - the only external source will be an iMac and I won't need CD on that one. (My wife still likes to play CDs on the M-CR603 in the living room so any replacement or upgrade there would need a built-in CD player too.)

On the other hand I might wait.

If the speculation on a new M-CR610 announcement is true, then I might get that (if it's an improvement* and if it scheduled to be in the shops this year) and put our M-CR603 in the spare room instead.

I'm in no hurry.

I've looked up your Denon DRA-F109 and would say stick with it. Looks like it does everything you need. (Missing a couple of things i'd need though.)

* If a new Marantz M-CR603 replacement is not as good as the original, then I will be hot-footing it to the nearest dealer (who still has an M-CR603) to buy it from him before they disappear!

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

pcookie's picture

I've been hankering after a cr-603 for a while as the cost kept on coming down, but I'll wait and see what Marantz replace it with. I'd really like to see a phono stage added and maybe 2 more digital inputs. I'm also suprised Marantz never brought out a KI sig version of the 603. Apart from that or a major change in the look of the thing, I'll be buying one of the last of the current breed.

cookie

MajorFubar's picture

pcookie wrote:
I'd really like to see a phono stage added

I really can't see that happening. I'm more inclined to believe there will be fewer analogue options (ie loss of analogue radio, if not both analogue and DAB) and a move towards it being a CD player with a built-in amp, internet radio and multiple digital inputs, plus improved support for formats like gapless FLAC, maybe ALAC and streaming services like Spotify. Surely WiFi will be standard too. Also expect the advertising blurb to speak of improved DAC circuitry and better amplification.

the record spot's picture

gasolin wrote:

If you want a more powerful amp section, then Onkyo's excellent TX-8050 will deliver the goods.  Don't expect bells and whistles even with 100wpc on tap though, the 8050 is a very refined performer for the money.  Also comes with Spotify onboard, networked capability and handles FLAC as well (just downloaded the 96/24-bit Yes Album off HD Tracks last night on FLAC and it was very impressive).  Also comes with an onboard DAC that allows you to connect up to five digital sources (2 optical, 2 coax and one USB mounted device on the fascia).  

Pair the Onkyo with good speakers and cracking source material (currently listening to the amazing Dead Can Dance on CD for instance) and you're off - Superfi are doing it for £350 just now.  

davedotco's picture

the record spot wrote:

gasolin wrote:

If you want a more powerful amp section, then Onkyo's excellent TX-8050 will deliver the goods.  Don't expect bells and whistles even with 100wpc on tap though, the 8050 is a very refined performer for the money.  Also comes with Spotify onboard, networked capability and handles FLAC as well (just downloaded the 96/24-bit Yes Album off HD Tracks last night on FLAC and it was very impressive).  Also comes with an onboard DAC that allows you to connect up to five digital sources (2 optical, 2 coax and one USB mounted device on the fascia).  

Pair the Onkyo with good speakers and cracking source material (currently listening to the amazing Dead Can Dance on CD for instance) and you're off - Superfi are doing it for £350 just now.  

I listen to Spotify a lot, this would be right up my street....... :grin:

Most important though is the interface, how easy is it to sit on the sofa and browse Spotify, be nice to get the low down from a 'real' user.

I find it pretty easy - there's a two line display on the Onkyo, so you select the "Net" option on the handset, then scroll down tot he Spotify link onscreen, it hooks up in a few seconds and then you go through the "What's New", "Search", "Playlists", etc, options provided by Spotify.  Once you select playlists, you're in your own listings and you can either scroll down one at a time per artist, or scroll left or right to skip ahead further (maybe ten or so artists?  Not sure, never counted but handy if you want to go from Abba to Pink Floyd fairly quickly).  Pretty familiar with it now.  

Sound quality's good, there's also internet radio as well thanks to VTuner and a few other bits and pieces too.  

davedotco's picture

the record spot wrote:

I find it pretty easy - there's a two line display on the Onkyo, so you select the "Net" option on the handset, then scroll down tot he Spotify link onscreen, it hooks up in a few seconds and then you go through the "What's New", "Search", "Playlists", etc, options provided by Spotify.  Once you select playlists, you're in your own listings and you can either scroll down one at a time per artist, or scroll left or right to skip ahead further (maybe ten or so artists?  Not sure, never counted but handy if you want to go from Abba to Pink Floyd fairly quickly).  Pretty familiar with it now.  

Sound quality's good, there's also internet radio as well thanks to VTuner and a few other bits and pieces too.  

I sit 12 - 15 ft from the system so I doubt the dispay would be visible. Any control apps that could be used on a Macbook or iThing?

At the time of writing I am sifting my way through Dylan recordings (on Spotify) looking for the definitive live version of "just like Tom Thumb's Blues". 

Don't think I could do that on the Onkyo.

No, it's not good for that, but you'd probably scout different titles out via your mobile or your computer (which is what I do) and then use that amp later.  Best bet is to audition if you can and apps are available with Spotify integration too.

davedotco's picture

the record spot wrote:

No, it's not good for that, but you'd probably scout different titles out via your mobile or your computer (which is what I do) and then use that amp later.  Best bet is to audition if you can and apps are available with Spotify integration too.

Shame, I am quite spoilt at the moment in terms of a user interface, Spotify app on Macbook/iPad streaming to an AEX.

Ideally I would like this degree of funtionality with a 'better' fully wired system, streaming music data over wifi worries me somewhat so I am thinking that a Sonos Connect (wired) is the obvious choice. Before I commit I was wondering if there is a 'hifi' alternative that compares in terms of the interface.

jdluke's picture

I found this video of the M-CR610 and M-CR510 displayed at the High-End trade fair in Munich:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Kqtg0YX7A

pcookie's picture

Looks like the offspring of the CR-603 and the Denon Ceol. Think I'll be getting the 603 and save myself a load of dosh.

cookie

jdluke's picture

According to the website of this dealer in Germany, the new major features of the M-CR610 seem to be

- wireless lan (WiFi)

- second USB port on the back

- gapless playback

Fuzzy Bear's picture

I just wish they would improve the Airplay volume issue on they current version, or the new one.   

chebby's picture

Fuzzy Bear wrote:

I just wish they would improve the Airplay volume issue on they current version, or the new one.   

What issue is that?

I've not had any issues with AirPlay volume.

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

Pages