66 posts / 0 new
Last post
f1only's picture
My Sony Bravia KDL-46HX853 Settings After Calibration

This may be of help to anyone with a Sony HX853 TV

My Sony 46HX853 2D Settings For General TV Viewing, Blu-ray & 3D Done After 1hr Warm Up Time

On the home button

Settings>System>settings

Scene select: Cinema

ECO settings

Power Saving: Off

Scene Select Sync: Off

Light Sensor: Off

Idle TV Standby: Off

PC Power Management: Off

Display>Picture

Target Inputs: Common

Picture mode: Cinema 1

Backlight: 2 or 3 (dependant on room lighting)

Contrast: 90

Brightness: 50

Colour: 50

Hue: 0

Colour Temperature: Warm 2

Sharpness: 50

Noise Reduction: off

MPEG Noise Reduction: off

Dot Noise Reduction: off

Reality Creation: Off

Video Area Detection: Off

Resolution: Min

Noise Filtering: Min

Smooth Gradation: Off

Motionflow: Clear or Clear Plus for General TV Viewing & OFF For Blu-ray

Film Mode: AUTO1 or OFF

Advanced Settings

Black Corrector: Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off

Gamma: -1

LED Dynamic Control: Low

Auto Light Limiter: Off

Clear White: Off

Live Colour: Off

White Balance: RGB Gain / Bias  -5 0 -2 -1 0 0

Detail Enhancer: Off

Edge Enhancer: Off

Skin Naturaliser: Off

i/p Conversion Preference: Quality

3D Settings

All Settings stay the same except the following Change

On the home button

Display>Picture

Contrast: 98

Motionflow: Off

Film Mode: Auto 2

Advanced Settings

White Balance: RGB Gain / Bias  -2 -6 0 0 0 0

Display>3D Settings

3D Depth Adjustment: 0

3D Glasses Brightness: Low

I hasten to add that these settings relate to my tv, all panels are not created equal, but it may be a good point to start from when calibrating your HX853.

Regards ...

Speakers - Dali Ikon 6 F L/R, Ikon Vocal 2 Centre, Ikon 1 Surround, B&W 610 Subwoofer.
TV - Calibrated Sony 46 HX853. BDP - Sony mr BDPS790, PS3, PS4.
A/V Amp - Yamaha RXV 1073

gel's picture
RE: My Sony Bravia KDL-46HX853 Settings After Calibration

Not too many settings then!   Laughing

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

f1only's picture

lol it has a big menu gel, more so than my old Samsung..

Speakers - Dali Ikon 6 F L/R, Ikon Vocal 2 Centre, Ikon 1 Surround, B&W 610 Subwoofer.

gel's picture

f1only wrote:

lol it has a big menu gel, more so than my old Samsung..

Laughing  Say that again, I can't believe how complicated they are!  

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

f1only's picture

The way thing are going your going to need a degree in setting a tv up, it is certainly worse than the old CRT TV's. Personally I think all TV's should be calibrated at the factory. Laughing

civilian's picture

Hi.

I'm thinking of buying the 46HX853... One thing that confuses me on the WHF review of this set. What doesthe below sentance mean..!

No great shakes at upscaling DVD and to let Blu-ray do the duites..! ?
bigboss's picture

It simply means that the TV is not a good DVD upscaler, & it's better for your blu ray player upscale DVDs instead.

civilian's picture

Lol. Thanks mate. Going to view 42GT50/46HX853 This week... Can't wait to see what i return with.

mikey2008's picture

HI f1only,

I've recently bought a 55HX853 and would like to know if you see any backlighlight bleed on the TV in dark surroundings.  I've seen that Oldboy has posted previously that it is apparent on his when there's no input and on certain menus.  I'm seeing it too (again, it seems to be localised to the bottom left of the screen).  For the vast majority of the time it's not noticeable during normal viewing, but I can still notice it on an almost entirely black screen. My backlight setting is 2 and even at minimum, it's still visible on the menus. I haven't seem too many issues of backlight bleed on these TVs and am starting to wonder if I'm over analysing it.  Any advice from others is also appreciated. 

Cheers,

Mike

Oldboy's picture

mikey2008 wrote:

HI f1only,

I've recently bought a 55HX853 and would like to know if you see any backlighlight bleed on the TV in dark surroundings.  I've seen that Oldboy has posted previously that it is apparent on his when there's no input and on certain menus.  I'm seeing it too (again, it seems to be localised to the bottom left of the screen).  For the vast majority of the time it's not noticeable during normal viewing, but I can still notice it on an almost entirely black screen. My backlight setting is 2 and even at minimum, it's still visible on the menus. I haven't seem too many issues of backlight bleed on these TVs and am starting to wonder if I'm over analysing it.  Any advice from others is also appreciated. 

Cheers,

Mike

I've never had an instance of bleed that has impacted the picture when watching tv or movies after calibrating the screen and bleed has only been visible when viewing the menus or in Game mode, at all other times it's not an issue. I'm sure the tv is boosting the backlight when it's visible as it's done for Game mode to give the picture more impact and I'm sure the menus are boosted for clarity so you can read the text easier.

Have you tried using the Auto Light Limiter and the Light Sensor options? Light Limiter reduces contrast glare which can help reduce the effects and the Light Sensor adjusts the picture to better suit your viewing enviroment and both when used together can reduce the effect of bleed quite considerably but most people with some knowledge stear clear of them as they tend to affect picture quality and are no substitute for a well calibrated screen.

I would suggest that if you are seeing bleed through normal use when watching tv and movies then it may indicate an issue, have you calibrated the screen? The settings left by f1only are a great starting point but my tvs settings are slightly different to those he posted so it's worth doing a calibration of brightness, contrast and colour at least I would suggest.

As long as the bleed doesn't impact on picture quality during normal viewing it's not an issue but if it is visible after calibration then it may indicate an issue. One other thing...I found the LED Dynamic Control really helped too so keep this set to standard at all times, it also produces far better black levels too.

Hope that is of some help.

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

mikey2008's picture

Many thanks Oldboy.  So far, I've left the Auto Light Limiter, Light Sensor and LED Dynamic Control options off, but I'll certainly look at the settings, particularly the latter.  The TV hasn't been calibrated with a disc, but I've used what I think have been sensible settings.  I haven't seen the clouding on anything other than a black screen - I checked the Star Wars BD just before the opening credits when the screen is black and the Lucasfilm logo appears and I could see it slightly in the bottom left.  I'll have another play tonight. Thanks again for the info.

Oldboy's picture

mikey2008 wrote:

Many thanks Oldboy.  So far, I've left the Auto Light Limiter, Light Sensor and LED Dynamic Control options off, but I'll certainly look at the settings, particularly the latter.  The TV hasn't been calibrated with a disc, but I've used what I think have been sensible settings.  I haven't seen the clouding on anything other than a black screen - I checked the Star Wars BD just before the opening credits when the screen is black and the Lucasfilm logo appears and I could see it slightly in the bottom left.  I'll have another play tonight. Thanks again for the info.

No worries. The LED Dynamic Control should see the issue disappear so set it to standard, my screen has some quite bad bleed that is visible as you describe on the bottom left and also bottom right of the screen (although it's not as bad here) just as I see it when viewing the menus but during normal viewing when the picture presets kick in there is no issue so I'm pretty sure this will be the same for you.

If you use the settings supplied by f1only in this thread you won't be far off from having a spot on picture, if you can adjust the brightness, contrast and colour with a THX dvd such as Star Wars (it's not on the bluray unfortunately) that will make sure the settings are correct for your room. It's found under the language menu if I recall correctly, you click on the THX logo and away you go...it's all clearly described for you and won't take long (about 10mins).

Let me know how you get on, fingers crossed the LED Dynamic Control sorts out the bleed for you :pray:

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

f1only's picture

How are you getting on Oldboy any better or worse for you?

+1 to Oldboys reply mikey2008 , as i mentioned in my settings post every panel is not created equal. I did have a small amount of backlight bleed in the bottom left & right of the panel but once calibrated properly it has disappeared. These settings given are from my calibrated TV & are probably a good starting point for you to continue from using a calibration disc for your TV using your own specific preferences.

Regards ...

mikey2008's picture

Thanks Oldboy and f1only. I think it probably is the settings as I haven't seen a snifter of any problems in forums/reviews with normal picture viewing. I'll give the suggestions a go and get the calibration discs.

Cheers,

Mike

f1only's picture

If you want to do it on the cheap you can download the AVCHD 709 disc which should play in most Blu-ray players & includes video introduction on basic TV calibration. Found here clicky you have to download AVCHD.EXE file & write it to a normal DVD there are instructions on the website.

Regards ...

Oldboy's picture

f1only wrote:

If you want to do it on the cheap you can download the AVCHD 709 disc which should play in most Blu-ray players & includes video introduction on basic TV calibration. Found here clicky you have to download AVCHD.EXE file & write it to a normal DVD there are instructions on the website.

Regards ...

Which is exactly what I done when I got my first plasma tv some years ago now and have continued to use it ever since, I've found it better than both of the retail discs I bought (DVE Essentials and Spears and Munsil) and it even includes some handy videos if you are a first time user, it's really accurate too and if you use the settings given by f1only then you should only need a few tweaks to get the best picture for your room.

Yes it looks daunting at first when you look at what you need to do to get the disc copied onto a dvd but trust me it's really simple and every stage is clearly explained to you and best of all it's completely free, well worth doing as I've got so much use out of it since I first copied my disc.

Pages