99 posts / 0 new
Last post
plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 12 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16398
Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

Hoping Matthewpiano can help.

I love the sound of the Naim CDP with my set-up but the aesthetics makes me want to vomit (almost).

Heard the K2 amp a few times and liked it, so wondering if the K2 CDP could be a good sonic match with the Leema/MA RS6s?  

 

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 3932
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

Crikey!

Think Naim gear looks the dogs!

 

Michell / Icon Audio / Kudos

 

matthewpiano's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 23/11/2007 - 22:23
Posts: 8280
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

Hi PP.

Difficult one as it is some time since I heard the Naim CD player and I haven't heard your exact system combination.  The Roksan is a really nice CD player.  Took me a while to get used to it after the Marantz CD63SE as it is very even handed and refined sounding.  It does controlled detail and atmospherics very well and, like Arcam players, is very convincing tonally.  Only issue with mine is the display which is very feint in the lower half - I plan to get it looked at sooner rather than later.  Certainly I've got no plans to change it.

Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Graham Slee Gram Amp 1 - Rotel RCD965BX - Exposure 1010 amp - Dynaudio DM2/6 - Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 12 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16398
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

stevebrock wrote:

Crikey!

Think Naim gear looks the dogs!

 

It does with other Naim gear. It looks totally sh** alongside the Leema. Both the Leema and Naim look good, but chronic together, especially with one being silver and the other black.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 12 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16398
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

matthewpiano wrote:

Hi PP.

Difficult one as it is some time since I heard the Naim CD player and I haven't heard your exact system combination.  The Roksan is a really nice CD player.  Took me a while to get used to it after the Marantz CD63SE as it is very even handed and refined sounding.  It does controlled detail and atmospherics very well and, like Arcam players, is very convincing tonally.  Only issue with mine is the display which is very feint in the lower half - I plan to get it looked at sooner rather than later.  Certainly I've got no plans to change it.

My problem is the Arcam looked really good with the Leema, but luckily the dealer took it off my hands and gave me a cracking deal with the Naim. Was hoping I'd get used to the looks by now. Can't hack it. Neither do I have the resources to buy a CDP at the retail price with the given quality.

The Naim really does stack-up sound-wise. Keeps the bass lovely and taut but bigger than the Apollo I heard. The whole soundstage has really opened up. Everytime I come thru the door I think "Eek!" Something has to give but I am so reluctant to sell the Leema. Just love it.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

matthewpiano's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 23/11/2007 - 22:23
Posts: 8280
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

I wouldn't say the Roksan was the prettiest of boxes either PP.  My hi-fi rack would look much better with a Denon CD player in it, but the present set-up works so well I'm prepared to compromise on the looks.  Sounds like you are enjoying your system so it would be worth finding a way to live with it. Maybe its time to consider a cabinet with doors on!!

Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Graham Slee Gram Amp 1 - Rotel RCD965BX - Exposure 1010 amp - Dynaudio DM2/6 - Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 12 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16398
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

Thanks Matt - Yup, spoilt for years by good aesthetics and good sound, now the sound has improved I'll have to settle for crumby looks.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

p_m_brown's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 23 hours ago
Joined: 01/02/2013 - 13:55
Posts: 301
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

Glad I'm not the only vain one round here he he he! TBH, the roksan made me want to vomit when saw/heard it. Didnt think it was particularly ground breaking but could have been the sum of the parts which detracted maybe?  (A19 and Ls50s)

gregvet's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 24/12/2008 - 02:55
Posts: 743
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

plastic penguin wrote:

Yup, spoilt for years by good aesthetics

 

sorry PP, must have missed something, what do you hide the Leema in then, and why can't you do the same with the Naim?

 

(Sorry couldn't resist)

Wink

crusaderlord's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 29/04/2008 - 16:19
Posts: 746
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

I too think the look is important - personally I would always go with a matching brand where possible, be it Arcam or something else. I also tend to believe there is a synergy in a brand. If the naim CD is good why not try a naim amp too. I think a clash in looks would annoy me too much in the end.

Arcam A38 Amplifier > Arcam CD36

Arcam irDac > Squeezebox Touch

Neat Motive 3 Speakers > Partington Super Dreadnought

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 12 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16398
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

gregvet wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Yup, spoilt for years by good aesthetics

 

sorry PP, must have missed something, what do you hide the Leema in then, and why can't you do the same with the Naim?

 

(Sorry couldn't resist)

Wink

Don't be so silly. Store it in a coal bunker. :poke:

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 12 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16398
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

crusaderlord wrote:

I too think the look is important - personally I would always go with a matching brand where possible, be it Arcam or something else. I also tend to believe there is a synergy in a brand. If the naim CD is good why not try a naim amp too. I think a clash in looks would annoy me too much in the end.

Tried the Nait 5i at home, and combined with the RS6s, in my room, it just bludgeoned the music. So much so it physically gave me a headache.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

gregvet's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 24/12/2008 - 02:55
Posts: 743
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

plastic penguin wrote:

Tried the Nait 5i at home, and combined with the RS6s, in my room, it just bludgeoned the music. So much so it physically gave me a headache.

i don't know what it is about Naim amplification, but any more than ten minutes listening to it seems to do the same to me. Only time that hasn't been the case was with some setup so high up the Naim food chain I couldn't count the zeros in the price tag.

Dont really understand why that should be, when their sources in isolation seem very good IME.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 12 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16398
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

gregvet wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Tried the Nait 5i at home, and combined with the RS6s, in my room, it just bludgeoned the music. So much so it physically gave me a headache.

i don't know what it is about Naim amplification, but any more than ten minutes listening to it seems to do the same to me. Only time that hasn't been the case was with some setup so high up the Naim food chain I couldn't count the zeros in the price tag.

Dont really understand why that should be, when their sources in isolation seem very good IME.

Pleased to see I'm not the only one.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

fatman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/11/2007 - 15:53
Posts: 147
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

Maybe the 5i with a pair of Monopulse?  Drop Allan an email and see what stock he has for direct sale........ 

Might even be quids in towards the RP6 if you got a good price for the Leema.

Is all about the synergy.  >)

 

 

 

 

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 12 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16398
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

fatman wrote:

Maybe the 5i with a pair of Monopulse?  Drop Allan an email and see what stock he has for direct sale........ 

Might even be quids in towards the RP6 if you got a good price for the Leema.

Is all about the synergy.  >)

 

 

 

 

Err... how will MonoPulse speakers change the aesthetics of the CDP and amp? And Who's Allan?

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Pages

Log in or register to post comments