796 posts / 0 new
Last post
Roby's picture
RE: Musical fidelity M6i or Naim Nait xs to drive my B&W 683

D'ont get me wrong I'm shure in the long run I made the close to perfect choice, as there is no pefect IMO but only the best compomise an I made a damn good one :grin:

I'm not woried There is a reason I chose this amp...during the few demo's I had it blew me away almost every time. So during this demo's an the week I had one at home I had a small view on what it's capable of. So my guess is its capable of much more an now I have the time to discover it.

The 2 negative point's I mentioned whell I was aware of them before buying this beauty. Just one of theme was really pointed out to me when I opened the box an saw a small screw driver.... :?

It have been a fun expirience going to all this demo's with alex thanks to him BTW helping me going true the proces.

Also you Cno & others thanks for your help an advice.It certenly played a big role in my choice. An it will in the future to.

Has been a long road to my choice during witch I learned a lot an educated my ears.

I know the positioning of my gear could be better but for now I try to keep it that way untill next year when my expansion of my apartment is finished, maybe I try 1 or 2 small changes but that's it.

I kept the AMS running for +/- 20H now an the sound getting better an better. Detail is losen up an I have more space between Voice an instruments An I only expect it to get better, bass is tighter but still a bit overwelming But I was thinking before there where curtains behind my speakers an they where standing on a carpet. Now in the new configuration there is a naked wall behind the speakers an the carpet is laying in front of theme. Maybe thats playing also a role an I should test some stuff with those items.

I let you know how my sound improves along this proces

Every tip is of course welcome.

So now I'm looking forward to the demo's with Alex treu or next upgrades an to those just for fun of listening to superb sets, dreaming away....one day....who know's

An of corse the endless listening sessions comparing AMS & Jadis with a good glass of wine (botle)....fun fun fun Smile

Ps: Doe't anybody know if I might have damaged my tweeter?

Because when I try to listen to it it's hard to tell.

grtz

toyota man's picture

Hi Roby I have been following your posts with intrest I cannot remember if you listened to the mf m6 pre power combination

if so how did it compare to the m6i I am glad that you are enjoying your new ams amp I think a few minor adjustments and a bit more of a burn in and before you know it the sound will be magic : ) Smile

CnoEvil's picture

toyota man wrote:

Hi Roby I have been following your posts with intrest I cannot remember if you listened to the mf m6 pre power combination

if so how did it compare to the m6i I am glad that you are enjoying your new ams amp I think a few minor adjustments and a bit more of a burn in and before you know it the sound will be magic : ) Smile

Hi TM, here is the relevant bit of the thread (post No.9):
http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/musical-fidelity-m6i-or-naim-nait-xs-to-drive-my-bw-683?page=13

It is both the opinion of Roby (and El Hefe) that the sound upgrade is not good value for money.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Macspur's picture

Hi Roby,

So glad the AMS is finally in place... give it time and just like the Lavardin, you will come to fully appreciate this fine purchase, especially as Cno said, once you upgrade your speakers.

Know what you mean about the heat though... even toastier than my Sugden!

Look forward to reading further impressions from you.

Cheers

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

paradiziac's picture

All the best Roby!

One thing I've learned is to buy good components (as you have done!) and then to trust them. None of my components sounded amazing when I first put them in the system, sometimes it needs some care with set up etc to get a sound you are happy with.

toyota man's picture

Thanks Cno I will have a quick read I thought I had read it but was feeling a bit to lazy to go through the complete post you are a gentleman :cheers: :cheers:

El Hefe's picture

Roby wrote:

An I'm already thinking about my next upgrade >)

Altrough I'm not shure what that will be....

Speakers

cdp

TT

Grtz

Hi Roby,

I have been away from the forum for awhile now. Its good to see that you are settling down with your amp choice....like any other new equipment....it takes time for you to get use to it.... But on the query of the next upgrade....just a hint....I heard this from a bird that was chirping outside my window this morning:

Come Nov...MF may be launching a new M6 high end DAC and a pair of in ear earphones....Not to sure whats the latter all about....but looking forward for the M6 DAC...

Roby's picture

El Hefe wrote:

Come Nov...MF may be launching a new M6 high end DAC and a pair of in ear earphones....Not to sure whats the latter all about....but looking forward for the M6 DAC...

MMMM might be tempting :?

acalex's picture

Roby wrote:

El Hefe wrote:

Don't get tempted my friend! Wait for the works to be over and then restart looking. I think you can get so much more from your system once you will be completely settled...

So I can finally bring the champagne?  :cheers:

Roby's picture

acalex wrote:

Roby wrote:

El Hefe wrote:

Don't get tempted my friend! Wait for the works to be over and then restart looking. I think you can get so much more from your system once you will be completely settled...

If you wait until the work is fully done we drink champagne somewhere in 2015.... :shame:

acalex's picture

Roby wrote:

acalex wrote:

Roby wrote:

El Hefe wrote:

If you wait until the work is fully done we drink champagne somewhere in 2015.... :shame:

No...wait to upgrade until works are completed. At least of the living room Smile

Champagne we plan for next week (Friday morning I am off to Italy for some sun, back on Monday) 

Neuphonix's picture

Hi Roby,

glad to hear you finally picked your new baby up.

I just have to pass on my recent experience with my new AMS. As you know I've had it for about two months now, last week it set one of my new Diablos on fire! So not really all that happy  |(

Came home, turned on the amp to let it warm up (no source or anything ealse was turnd on). Few minutes laters noticed a burning smell & found smoke pouring out the front of the right channel speaker.

Hopefully I just got a bad unit, but it has really soured my new hifi experience. I was really hoping that this amp & speaker set-up would be one that would last me for the next 10 - 20 years.

I'm hoping that the dealer is going to do the right thing by me & replace the amp & fix the speaker. They've taken away the amp & the speakers for testing & have given me a tentative "yes we think it is a problem with the amp" so far. It might all end up OK but I'm feeling pretty shattered by the whole experience.

Sorry to be a downer on you new toy, hopefully it works out better for you than it has for me.

Will keep you posted of any developments.

CnoEvil's picture

Neuphonix wrote:

Hi Roby,

I just have to pass on my recent experience with my new AMS. As you know I've had it for about two months now, last week it set one of my new Diablos on fire! So not really all that happy  |(

Came home, turned on the amp to let it warm up (no source or anything ealse was turnd on). Few minutes laters noticed a burning smell & found smoke pouring out the front of the right channel speaker.

Hopefully I just got a bad unit, but it has really soured my new hifi experience. I was really hoping that this amp & speaker set-up would be one that would last me for the next 10 - 20 years.

I'm hoping that the dealer is going to do the right thing by me & replace the amp & fix the speaker. They've taken away the amp & the speakers for testing & have given me a tentative "yes we think it is a problem with the amp" so far. It might all end up OK but I'm feeling pretty shattered by the whole experience.

Sorry to be a downer on you new toy, hopefully it works out better for you than it has for me.

I'm truly sorry to hear this, and hope that you get the matter sorted to your satisfaction.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Roby's picture

Neuphonix wrote:

Hi Roby,

Roby's picture

Neuphonix wrote:

Hi Roby,

Pages