210 posts / 0 new
Last post
the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Audibly transparent

AlmaataKZ wrote:

In hifi, the kit has to reproduce the music so it has to do it well, i.e. accurately. Not subjectively.

I'd suggest most kit does.  There's a lot of talk about "boom" and "tizz" in some quarters.  I think that's vastly overrated in real terms.  Yes, push a speaker too hard and it's going to distort, push the amp too hard beyond it's capabilities and it'll suffer.  

Realise what you've got to work with and work within their parameters and you'll be fine.  So the old 30 watt Sansui AU-217 and Mission 752s I used sounded great.  Really great, caught the music and presented as well as anything I'd heard.  

The current gear in my sig below works a treat, well balanced, a good amp, good speakers (nice bass, good extension...deep you might say - just been listening to Jan Garbarek's "Rites" album and Barry Diament's mastering for Led Zeppelin II, good recordings both); just makes music a pleasure to listen to.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Audibly transparent

the record spot wrote:

AlmaataKZ wrote:

In hifi, the kit has to reproduce the music so it has to do it well, i.e. accurately. Not subjectively.

I'd suggest most kit does.  There's a lot of talk about "boom" and "tizz" in some quarters.  I think that's vastly overrated in real terms.  Yes, push a speaker too hard and it's going to distort, push the amp too hard beyond it's capabilities and it'll suffer.  

Realise what you've got to work with and work within their parameters and you'll be fine.  So the old 30 watt Sansui AU-217 and Mission 752s I used sounded great.  Really great, caught the music and presented as well as anything I'd heard.  

The current gear in my sig below works a treat, well balanced, a good amp, good speakers (nice bass, good extension...deep you might say - just been listening to Jan Garbarek's "Rites" album and Barry Diament's mastering for Led Zeppelin II, good recordings both); just makes music a pleasure to listen to.

You are off your rocker, Spot. You can't string more than two posts together without mentioning the AVI Forum, you got banned, get over it!!

 

And please, stop talking absolute nonsense about your speakers, did you not make a big enough fool of yourself the last time you declared that they have "deep bass"? They're tiny speakers with 4inch drivers, do you not realise that they simply cannot reproduce deep bass?

 

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Audibly transparent

What I'd been about to add earlier was...

 

"And of course, who is to say what is "right" when it comes to "accurate"?  When you have as much variation in actives as you do in passives (see the pro audio forum threads for further reference) then it's down to one man's meat and another man's poison.  You go with what you like best.  If you want warts and all, go for the most revealing system that gives you that within your own personal limits.  If you want a little less honesty, then go for a different pair of speakers that have a less revealing character.  

I'd argue that most modern kit will do exactly what it says on the tin; how you choose, or maybe what you choose to mix and match or which actives you pick will be up to how you like the resulting sound when it reaches your ears."

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Audibly transparent

Blu_Blu wrote:

You are off your rocker, Spot. You can't string more than two posts together without mentioning the AVI Forum, you got banned, get over it!!

 

And please, stop talking absolute nonsense about your speakers, did you not make a big enough fool of yourself the last time you declared that they have "deep bass"? They're tiny speakers with 4inch drivers, do you not realise that they simply cannot reproduce deep bass?

 

Hi Max. Wrong, I left, and asked Ash to delete the account.  I have the email to back it up.  

As for the rest, I think you're overtired but you know, any time you're passing you can find out differently.  And when it comes to slagging off another forum, well you know, people with glass houses and all that....   Smile

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Audibly transparent

drummerman wrote:

AlmaataKZ wrote:

 In hifi, the kit has to reproduce the music so it has to do it well, i.e. accurately. Not subjectively.

Unfortunately, no matter how well meant, it is statements like these that inflame the whole debate (I make them too). This is where Cno's points come into it and I agree with him. There is no definite right or wrong. Its what works for you.

regards

 

Yes, fully agree with this DM.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Audibly transparent

the record spot wrote:

Blu_Blu wrote:

You are off your rocker, Spot. You can't string more than two posts together without mentioning the AVI Forum, you got banned, get over it!!

 

And please, stop talking absolute nonsense about your speakers, did you not make a big enough fool of yourself the last time you declared that they have "deep bass"? They're tiny speakers with 4inch drivers, do you not realise that they simply cannot reproduce deep bass?

 

Hi Max. Wrong, I left, and asked Ash to delete the account.  I have the email to back it up.  

As for the rest, I think you're overtired but you know, any time you're passing you can find out differently.  And when it comes to slagging off another forum, well you know, people with glass houses and all that....   Smile

Why do you keep name dropping? Ash, Barry Diament, Steve Hoffman, or whoever? Can you not just debate like everyone else without trying to make yourself sound important?

And can you please stop the anti HDD aggression? It's uncalled for and dare I say it, even the regulars here are sick and tired of it,

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3446
RE: Audibly transparent

the record spot wrote:

I'd argue that most modern kit will do exactly what it says on the tin; how you choose, or maybe what you choose to mix and match or which actives you pick will be up to how you like the resulting sound when it reaches your ears."

 

I'd go further and say that most kit up to the speakers sounds very similar and then it goes all over the place. Mainly because of the speakers themselves, sometimes because of the relationship between the amp and speakers.

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11218
RE: Audibly transparent

the record spot wrote:
There's a lot of talk about "boom" and "tizz" in some quarters.  I think that's vastly overrated in real terms.

There's far more "vastly overrated" terms where that one came from.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Audibly transparent

Blu_Blu wrote:

]Why do you keep name dropping? Ash, Barry Diament, Steve Hoffman, or whoever? Can you not just debate like everyone else without trying to make yourself sound important?

And can you please stop the anti HDD aggression? It's uncalled for and dare I say it, even the regulars here are sick and tired of it,

 

If you'll do likewise with your nonsense, we can put this to rest.  Your choice.  

You said I'd been banned from the AVI forum.  I wasn't; I asked the moderator there, Ashley James, to delete my account.  Should I make another name up?  What would you like me to use?  

I mention Barry Diament, Steve Hoffman, Joe Gastwirt, Vic Anesini, Bernie Grundman and a bunch of others because they're masters of the mastering engineer's craft (IMO).  

I've yet to hear a duffer from Barry Diament and I've got a stack of albums with his name on them.  He was at Atlantic in the 80s and I just happen to like a bunch of acts who were on the label then - Zep, Genesis (Atlantic was their US label), Yes...take yer pick.  

Mastering comes up regularly for good reason, and if you want to ignore it that's your problem.  The Steve Hoffman forum is a great resource for finding good recordings and general information on the subject.  Maybe if you spent some time reading up on the subject, you might get something out of it, to anyone, I mention the names I listed because they might want to try the discs out for themselves.  It's all on the Hoffman forum. 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Audibly transparent

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

the record spot wrote:
There's a lot of talk about "boom" and "tizz" in some quarters.  I think that's vastly overrated in real terms.

There's far more "vastly overrated" terms where that one came from.

Perhaps people would like to read your forum David?

 

http://www.hifix.co.uk/hifi/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1718

 

Lot's of vastly overrated stuff on there. And lot's of slagging.

altruistic.lemon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 25/07/2011 - 09:18
Posts: 1865
RE: Audibly transparent

Blu_Blu wrote:

You are off your rocker, Spot. You can't string more than two posts together without mentioning the AVI Forum, you got banned, get over it!!

 

And please, stop talking absolute nonsense about your speakers, did you not make a big enough fool of yourself the last time you declared that they have "deep bass"? They're tiny speakers with 4inch drivers, do you not realise that they simply cannot reproduce deep bass?

Hey mate! Take it easy. No need to attack someone for stating his views, certainly more politely than you do. I was one who said small drivers can't do deep bass, but Record Spot explained his position well , did anything but make a fool of himself - and can you tell the difference between 50hz and 55 hz, for example? Fair goes, mate.
David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11218
RE: Audibly transparent

Covenanter wrote:
Ferrari fanboys Smile

If the Ferrari was technically the better car, I'd choose the McLaren. I hate Ferrari with as much passion as the Tifosi love Ferrari. 

So in answer to your question, preference and prejudice.

:)

But why? Were you bitten by a horse when a child?

Chris[/quote]

It's Man U syndrome. People who follow the herd because it is seen as "cool" to do so.Thatt is something I dislike. Therefore, I hate Ferrari and Man U. To state two examples. 

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11218
RE: Audibly transparent

Blu_Blu wrote:

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

the record spot wrote:
There's a lot of talk about "boom" and "tizz" in some quarters.  I think that's vastly overrated in real terms.

There's far more "vastly overrated" terms where that one came from.

Perhaps people would like to read your forum David?

 

http://www.hifix.co.uk/hifi/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1718

 

Lot's of vastly overrated stuff on there. And lot's of slagging.

Thanks for the plug Max Smile

Its not a forum that is trying to take over the world or pretend to be something it is not. It's just a forum where people can talk. And we are a bit more free to say what we like.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Audibly transparent

the record spot wrote:

Blu_Blu wrote:

]Why do you keep name dropping? Ash, Barry Diament, Steve Hoffman, or whoever? Can you not just debate like everyone else without trying to make yourself sound important?

And can you please stop the anti HDD aggression? It's uncalled for and dare I say it, even the regulars here are sick and tired of it,

 

If you'll do likewise with your nonsense, we can put this to rest.  Your choice.  

You said I'd been banned from the AVI forum.  I wasn't; I asked the moderator there, Ashley James, to delete my account.  Should I make another name up?  What would you like me to use?  

I mention Barry Diament, Steve Hoffman, Joe Gastwirt, Vic Anesini, Bernie Grundman and a bunch of others because they're masters of the maerting engineer craft.  I've yet to hear a duffer from Barry Diament and I've got a stack of albums with his name on them.  He was at Atlantic in the 80s and I just happen to like a bunch of acts who were on the label then - Zep, Genesis (Atlantic was their US label), Yes...take yer pick.  

Mastering comes up regularly for good reason, and if you want to ignore it that's your problem.  The Steve Hoffman forum is a great resource for finding good recordings and general information on the subject.  Maybe if you spent some time reading up on the subject, you might get something out of it, to anyone, I mention the names I listed because they might want to try the discs out for themselves.  It's all on the Hoffman forum. 

Fair enough, and I'm sorry if I've offended you. I'll stay away from here and stop the nonsense, and you stop all the snide remarks aimed at ADM owners who recommend their speakers, just like everybody else on here does.

Deal?

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Audibly transparent

altruistic.lemon wrote:

Hey mate! Take it easy. No need to attack someone for stating his views, certainly more politely than you do. I was one who said small drivers can't do deep bass, but Record Spot explained his position well , did anything but make a fool of himself - and can you tell the difference between 50hz and 55 hz, for example? Fair goes, mate.

 

Cheers AL.  Much appreciated.   :cheers:

Pages

Log in or register to post comments