169 posts / 0 new
Last post
gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12914
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

mickeyh wrote:

I have had my 50GT50 for 2 months and I must be missing out , I have had no buzzing , no DSE , no geen blob , no image retention , no vertical lines , I  am not saying it won't happen , I think people read to much into comments made and look for problems which are not there , it was awarded 5 stars. And voted best set at the 50 inch size , if all the issues above we're there I think it would have been pointed out , also I have my TV set to normal which has an excellent picture , don't complicate things with the complex settings , just enjoy the set and its picture at this moment you won't get better.

 

Spot on!  Great advice.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 3925
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

mickeyh wrote:

I have had my 50GT50 for 2 months and I must be missing out , I have had no buzzing , no DSE , no geen blob , no image retention , no vertical lines , I  am not saying it won't happen , I think people read to much into comments made and look for problems which are not there , it was awarded 5 stars. And voted best set at the 50 inch size , if all the issues above we're there I think it would have been pointed out , also I have my TV set to normal which has an excellent picture , don't complicate things with the complex settings , just enjoy the set and its picture at this moment you won't get better.

+1

Ditto!

 

Michell / Icon Audio / Kudos

 

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4455
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Well, I agree that it's sensible to focus on the positives and not go looking for problems.

That said, it's clear that certain aspects of performance vary from set to set, including buzzing and DSE. And I wouldn't seek to downplay concerns some owners have expressed on this thread (and others). As Gel will tell you, performance isn't uniformly excellent across all GT50s, as he went through two replacements before getting it right. As I say, I'm wavering on whether to ask for a replacement myself, mainly because of buzzing that borders on the distracting.

I also want to ask other owners whether the picture on their GT50s looks a little noisy? I've read about mild enforced picture sharpening in a couple of technical reviews and I wonder if this is why images look a tad grainy with all content. This might also be because my panel is new and will calm down as the set beds in. Upscaling seems rather dodgy as well, but I guess SD images will always look ropey on a 50" screen.  

I'm glad some owners are delighted with their GT50s and wish I felt the same way. At the moment I feel reasonably happy, if not blown away...

Sizzers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 20/06/2008 - 07:15
Posts: 1453
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Well I for one wouldn’t accept a distracting, annoying, buzzing TV (I had these issues with a Brio-R amplifier, but that's another story).

As I’ve said elsewhere I can guarantee that the demo models instore don’t buzz, and I for one wouldn’t accept second best for what is supposed to be a “premium” set. You’re obviously not totally happy with it, it’s playing on your mind, so change it. 

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4455
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Sizzers wrote:

 

Well I for one wouldn’t accept a distracting, annoying, buzzing TV (I had these issues with a Brio-R amplifier, but that's another story).

As I’ve said elsewhere I can guarantee that the demo models instore don’t buzz, and I for one wouldn’t accept second best for what is supposed to be a “premium” set. You’re obviously not totally happy with it, it’s playing on your mind, so change it. 

 

You're probably right. I'm watching the football now and, for the first time, can see the dreaded dirty screen effect. However, it's mild and I'm not sure I'd have noticed if I hadn't been looking for it.

Likewise, the buzzing is borderline tolerable. I'm also scared to get on the merry-go-round of replacement models. A replacement (or indeed replacements) could have more problems than the set I have now.

I think the sensible course of action is to call John Lewis on Monday and explain that I'm happy to see if things improve as the TV beds in, as long as a replacement remains an option a little further down the line. Hopefully they'll think that's reasonable.

Nick_Shepherd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 14/02/2008 - 13:13
Posts: 512
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Maybe the owners of the quiet sets are a bit deaf? (See what I did there, seeing as me and strapped must be mental!)

so, what room are the owners of quiet sets watching in? And what is the ambient noise like?

mine is in a second bedroom, so a very quiet room with little or no Ambient noise?

strapped?

 

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 3925
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Nick_Shepherd wrote:

Maybe the owners of the quiet sets are a bit deaf? (See what I did there, seeing as me and strapped must be mental!)

so, what room are the owners of quiet sets watching in? And what is the ambient noise like?

mine is in a second bedroom, so a very quiet room with little or no Ambient noise?

strapped?

 

 

Im not deaf and there is no buzzin on my GT50, even on a white screen with no ambient noise (same for my Brio R)

Im happy with the TV 100%

I have no IR or any other problems

These problems people are having are very few & far between - if it was me I would get a replacement set/s until I was happy.

 

 

Michell / Icon Audio / Kudos

 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12914
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

stevebrock wrote:

Nick_Shepherd wrote:

Maybe the owners of the quiet sets are a bit deaf? (See what I did there, seeing as me and strapped must be mental!)

so, what room are the owners of quiet sets watching in? And what is the ambient noise like?

mine is in a second bedroom, so a very quiet room with little or no Ambient noise?

strapped?

 

 

Im not deaf and there is no buzzin on my GT50, even on a white screen with no ambient noise (same for my Brio R)

Im happy with the TV 100%

I have no IR or any other problems

These problems people are having are very few & far between - if it was me I would get a replacement set/s until I was happy.

 

 

 

Agreed.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Nick_Shepherd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 14/02/2008 - 13:13
Posts: 512
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Agree with you both.

itsbthe tv's not us (not that you said it was' that was the other fella)

maybe worth a mery go round then.......probably worth it as the PQ with BR is quality and I think I will enjoy the benefits of plasma....

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4455
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

My GT50 is in the living room, though I'm not sure there's more ambient noise than in any other room.

I must confess I'm feeling a little disappointed overall. I think my V20 was a better performer in certain regards: no DSE, no obvious buzzing, better with SD (though that may be down to the smaller screen size). My V20 also produced brighter pictures. Images on the GT50 look a little like I'm watching through sunglasses (and that's not in 3D). If I turn the contrast up in search of a brighter picture then blacks crush and whites bloom.

I'm trying to recall how much the V20 improved once run in. Some of the concerns I have can perhaps be attributed to the TV being a little excitable while new.

As I said above, those that can find no issues with their GT50 shouldn't assume that others are imagining problems with theirs.

Nick_Shepherd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 14/02/2008 - 13:13
Posts: 512
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

A bit of sarcasm in the 'mental' commet Wink

maybe gel can do me a favour? Do you here a change in buzz from dark to light with the volume off? Just seeing if they all change buzz and maybe it's my sensitive hearing?

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4455
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Well, I edited my post above, as I didn't want to seem like I was having a go at you, Nick.

To be honest, most people are not denying that we're experiencing problems. Rather, they're suggesting we get replacement sets. I may well go down this route. I'd really like to shake off this feeling of being underwhelmed. Perhaps I was expecting too much of the GT50.

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12914
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Nick_Shepherd wrote:

A bit of sarcasm in the 'mental' commet Wink

maybe gel can do me a favour? Do you here a change in buzz from dark to light with the volume off? Just seeing if they all change buzz and maybe it's my sensitive hearing?

 

The current one I have is really good with buzzing.  I can hear a noise occasionally but it is not annoying or distracting.  The first two I had did get on my nerves a bit though.  But I knew that might be the case anyway, some plasmas do buzz more than others, the picture was always perfect, so the merry go round was worth it, and I knew I could find a quiet one and did.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12914
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

gel wrote:

Nick_Shepherd wrote:

A bit of sarcasm in the 'mental' commet Wink

maybe gel can do me a favour? Do you here a change in buzz from dark to light with the volume off? Just seeing if they all change buzz and maybe it's my sensitive hearing?

 

The current one I have is really good with buzzing.  I can hear a noise occasionally but it is not annoying or distracting.  The first two I had did get on my nerves a bit though.  But I knew that might be the case anyway, some plasmas do buzz more than others, the picture was always perfect, so the merry go round was worth it, and I knew I could find a quiet one and did.  I have seen about seven plasmas now and know what too expect, and as TVs goes this is the best.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12914
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

strapped for cash wrote:

Well, I edited my post above, as I didn't want to seem like I was having a go at you, Nick.

To be honest, most people are not denying that we're experiencing problems. Rather, they're suggesting we get replacement sets. I may well go down this route. I'd really like to shake off this feeling of being underwhelmed. Perhaps I was expecting too much of the GT50.

 

Are you getting a picture like in my YouTube videos?

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments