169 posts / 0 new
Last post
gel's picture
Online
Last seen: 15 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13055
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Nick_Shepherd wrote:

Do you hear any difference in buzz with light pictures?

must say that today I fixed my BD player and the PQ is top quality! I can really see what all the fuss is about!! This set is really really good!

do you all get such a big jump in PQ from sky HD to Bluray?

 

Yes on white screen I can hear it buzz but then it goes quiet.  Yep, Blu-ray is amazing.  I like Sky HD too.  I just think Blu-ray is good.  Glad you are enjoying it now.  Go through all your Blu-ray collection and enjoy.

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Nick_Shepherd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 14/02/2008 - 13:13
Posts: 512
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Me too! Such a shame I hear the buzz with white.....

sky HD is better on my Sony, could then GT50 be doing anything to the detriment of the PQ?

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5473
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Nick_Shepherd wrote:

Hard to have one thread for so many topics.....we could have many threads but about 'buzzing' , ' picture issues' 'how good it is' etc...

I just think it would be easier to follow everything if it was all in one place, then any owners could keep an eye on that thread to help resolve problems of new and existing owners. There's at least 4 threads on GT50s, and I'm struggling to know what is being discussed in which one.  :doh:

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

Nick_Shepherd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 14/02/2008 - 13:13
Posts: 512
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

It can be hard to do as for example in this 'buzzing' thread were now talking about GT50 owners threads, PQ with Sky vs Bluray.... Threads change topic as the conversation moves on depending on replies.....

should have a GT 50'owners forum.....

gel's picture
Online
Last seen: 15 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13055
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Nick_Shepherd wrote:

Me too! Such a shame I hear the buzz with white.....

sky HD is better on my Sony, could then GT50 be doing anything to the detriment of the PQ?

 

Dont think so.  What channels are you watching?  How are you finding the motion?  Are you getting really nice blacks against a bright screen?

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5473
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Nick_Shepherd wrote:

It can be hard to do as for example in this 'buzzing' thread were now talking about GT50 owners threads, PQ with Sky vs Bluray.... Threads change topic as the conversation moves on depending on replies.....

should have a GT 50'owners forum.....

Maybe WHF can have a sub-section under TVs and Projectors for any GT50 threads?

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4518
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

gel wrote:

Nick_Shepherd wrote:

Do you hear any difference in buzz with light pictures?

Yes on white screen I can hear it buzz but then it goes quiet. 

I was trying to post all afternoon yesterday, but every time I logged in my security software advised me it had blocked malware. :?

Anyway, I digress...

 

Overall I'm pretty happy with the GT50. It would be nice if the THX preset had advanced calibration options, as the Professional presets have a luminance cap, but I knew this already. However, I felt colours were more accurate on the V20 (and the THX preset on the V20 allows 2 point greyscale and colour adjustment, while this isn't true of the GT50). Whichever preset I select on the GT50, images seem to have an excess of green and magenta. Obviously this is my verdict after watching the TV, as I've no equipment to measure colour accuracy.

The GT50 drags up a fair bit more detail than my V20. Black levels are pretty comparable (perhaps marginally darker on the GT50, but there's virtually nothing in it). And I've got a bigger screen, which was the main reason for upgrading.

The GT50 buzzes more than both Panasonic plasmas I previously owned. I can barely hear the buzz with dark images from 3m away, but ramp up the brightness and the buzz becomes more distracting. I'm hoping this settles down, as it's on the borderline of what I'd consider acceptable. The 50Hz bug is also still in evidence (I wish Panasonic would sort this out).

No issues so far in terms of screen uniformity and DSE (I've looked really hard). This last point, in my view, is crucial to any decision I make about keeping the TV. I've read so many stories about distracting vertical lines that it's a relief there are no such problems with my GT50. It would be a nightmare if I got a replacement due to buzzing, only to find the new set has prominent DSE. 

As I say, I'm happy overall, with a few small caveats.

 

gel's picture
Online
Last seen: 15 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13055
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

strapped for cash wrote:

gel wrote:

Nick_Shepherd wrote:

Do you hear any difference in buzz with light pictures?

Yes on white screen I can hear it buzz but then it goes quiet. 

I was trying to post all afternoon yesterday, but every time I logged in my security software advised me it had blocked malware. :?

Anyway, I digress...

 

Overall I'm pretty happy with the GT50. It would be nice if the THX preset had advanced calibration options, as the Professional presets have a luminance cap, but I knew this already. However, I felt colours were more accurate on the V20 (and the THX preset on the V20 allows 2 point greyscale and colour adjustment, while this isn't true of the GT50). Whichever preset I select on the GT50, images seem to have an excess of green and magenta. Obviously this is my verdict after watching the TV, as I've no equipment to measure colour accuracy.

The GT50 drags up a fair bit more detail than my V20. Black levels are pretty comparable (perhaps marginally darker on the GT50, but there's virtually nothing in it). And I've got a bigger screen, which was the main reason for upgrading.

The GT50 buzzes more than both Panasonic plasmas I previously owned. I can barely hear the buzz with dark images from 3m away, but ramp up the brightness and the buzz becomes more distracting. I'm hoping this settles down, as it's on the borderline of what I'd consider acceptable. The 50Hz bug is also still in evidence (I wish Panasonic would sort this out).

No issues so far in terms of screen uniformity and DSE (I've looked really hard). This last point, in my view, is crucial to any decision I make about keeping the TV. I've read so many stories about distracting vertical lines that it's a relief there are no such problems with my GT50. It would be a nightmare if I got a replacement due to buzzing, only to find the new set has prominent DSE. 

As I say, I'm happy overall, with a few small caveats.

 

 

Sounds like you have got a noisy one, unfortunately.  Keep us updated.  To be honest it should be a big jump from your V20.  WHF have commented on how much better it is to last years.  And you say motion is not the best?

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Nick_Shepherd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 14/02/2008 - 13:13
Posts: 512
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Hi gel,

im watching all channels really....SD is better than older Sony, Sky HD has less detail, while bluray is remarkable hence wondering if my Sky HD is not quite right.....

strapped,

im struggling with the change in buzz from dark to light, it does annoy me although I am determined to be sure it can't be sorted before going fo the Sony (not least because I don't think I can get the 46 now I have had a 50, so would mean the 55 at extra cost)....

i may ask for an engineer in case I can change power supply or something.....the PQ with bluray is sooooo good and blacks / movement better than the older LCD......they must have a fix for it?

Nick_Shepherd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 14/02/2008 - 13:13
Posts: 512
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Oh, what's DSE?

laserman16's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 23/11/2007 - 18:17
Posts: 2259
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Nick_Shepherd wrote:

Oh, what's DSE?

 Dirty Screen Effect.

gel's picture
Online
Last seen: 15 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13055
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Nick_Shepherd wrote:

Hi gel,

im watching all channels really....SD is better than older Sony, Sky HD has less detail, while bluray is remarkable hence wondering if my Sky HD is not quite right.....

strapped,

im struggling with the change in buzz from dark to light, it does annoy me although I am determined to be sure it can't be sorted before going fo the Sony (not least because I don't think I can get the 46 now I have had a 50, so would mean the 55 at extra cost)....

i may ask for an engineer in case I can change power supply or something.....the PQ with bluray is sooooo good and blacks / movement better than the older LCD......they must have a fix for it?

 

Sounds like you have just got a noisy one.  There are about three or four of us on here with quiet ones though.  Depends what you want to do.  Looks like you have seen how good it can get.

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Nick_Shepherd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 14/02/2008 - 13:13
Posts: 512
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

So I have 20 days to either get used to the buzz and keep it, try an exchange and hope its not worse, or swap for an LCD.......

Downside of a swap: may end up with a worse set, and the merry go round begins!

Downside of keeping: buzz remains, I never get used to it, and regret keeping it

Downide of swap for LCD: it's £400 more, and may not quite be as good a picture?

hhhmmmmmmm......

To have a quiet GT50 would be perfect...

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 3978
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

I have quiet GT50 - well happy

Get an exchane!\

 

Michell Gyrodec, RB303, Benz Micro Ace H, Icon Audio ST40 w/KT88s, PS1 Phono, Kudos X2, Rega Apollo R, DAC

 

 

mickeyh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 06/10/2008 - 19:28
Posts: 18
RE: Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

I have had my 50GT50 for 2 months and I must be missing out , I have had no buzzing , no DSE , no geen blob , no image retention , no vertical lines , I  am not saying it won't happen , I think people read to much into comments made and look for problems which are not there , it was awarded 5 stars. And voted best set at the 50 inch size , if all the issues above we're there I think it would have been pointed out , also I have my TV set to normal which has an excellent picture , don't complicate things with the complex settings , just enjoy the set and its picture at this moment you won't get better.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments