42 posts / 0 new
Last post
audiowizard's picture
RE: Sony 55HX853 Stand Nightmare

I use this stand for my Panasonic 50GT30 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-TVS213BB-Swivel-Bracket-Suitable/dp/B005PW9E64/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1354954158&sr=8-4

.  It says it only supports up to 50", not sure if the holes are differently spaced on tvs above 50" for brackets.  But I would guess that the sony would be lighter than my GT30, so you could get away with a 55" with that stand, if of course the holes were spaced ok for the bracket.

andy_s's picture

The Alphason FW1350 is wide enough for the job Smile

DistortedVision's picture

Thanks Andy but as I said I didn't want a wood grain finish.

I've pretty much decided to get a custom made Stax-Lo Uno stand from Blok:

Its going to be made to my exact dimensions and instead of a wood veneer it can be painted to any colour and any finish. I'm just waiting on a RAL colour chart and paint samples so that I can give Blok the RAL code. Think I'm going to go with a dark grey like the Aphason stand which was in my original post.

It doesn't come cheap at £850. Yes I know its a lot but I wouldn't have been happy with anything I could find and there are very few stands on the market that can accomodate the 55HX853. Also when I decide to upgrade the TV say to a 4K one I would keep the stand as I wouldn't go for a larger as it would be too big for the lounge.

With it being custom made I can chose the number and exact position of the holes for cable management.

BenLaw's picture

Nice one  Smile How long until they can send it to you?

BMFDrums's picture

Hi

Just saw this thread and felt some sympathy, as I had a similar dilemma a few weeks back after buying the 55HX853.  We wanted an oak finish, so bought an Alphason FW1350-LO/B.  However, they do the same unit in black: http://www.theplasmacentre.com/tv-stands-and-av-racks/tv-stands/fw1350-bv-b.html?bp=102.  It's currently on sale for £235.  **EDIT**  I just re-read the comment above about not wanting a wood-grain finish.  In which case, ignore this last bit - sorry!**

OldBoy made a good suggestion above, so I just wanted to check that you had seen this: http://www.theplasmacentre.com/tv-stands-and-av-racks/tv-stands/elara-av1500-black.html?bp=102.  It's currently on sale for £212.

Either one of these would a BIG saving if it meets your needs.  They're both all black, have black glass shelves & are wide enough to (hopefully!) avoid pesky nephews & nieces pulling it off/over.  The money saved is enough to buy a soundbar or reasonable 1-box system.  By the way, there's a Marantz ES7001 on eBay at the moment...

If you've already made up your mind, then that's fine, but you may have just overlooked these ones...  If you're interested, I can upload a pic of my TV on the Alphason stand.

Thanks to Jason (above) for pointing out the vertical Sony stand - that may be going on my Christmas list!

Best regards

Spence

Hi Spence,

I looked at both the FW1350 and the Elara AV1500. There was obviously the wood grain with the FW1350 but more importantly I didn't like that the end supports were curved. I thought the Elara AV1500 was okay but it was kind of difficult to make a decision on it actually looking at one with the TV on it. One thing I did much prefer was having a closed back which the Blok Uno has. But yeah please go ahead and post a pic - it would be nice to see what it looks like.

The nice thing about getting a custom made one there is virtually no compromise. Its also all factory assembled and better build quality than flat pack stuff. Although the AV1500 looks pretty rugged with its metal frame.

Lead time is 6 weeks if its going to painted to my specification. Currently waiting on RAL colour chart and paint samples. Th

BenLaw wrote:

Nice one  Smile How long until they can send it to you?

Naxos's picture

Slooper - Just to reactivate this thread, I also would like to ditch to Sony soundbar (I want to add a Yamaha YSP-2200), so I'm very interested in the Sony-supplied one you mentioned, but I've just got off the phone to a very helpful guy at Sony Customer Services who could find no mention of this stand at all. Any chance you could give me some more details of which department you spoke to? Also, do you have a picture by any chance?

Slooper's picture

Naxos wrote:

Slooper - Just to reactivate this thread, I also would like to ditch to Sony soundbar (I want to add a Yamaha YSP-2200), so I'm very interested in the Sony-supplied one you mentioned, but I've just got off the phone to a very helpful guy at Sony Customer Services who could find no mention of this stand at all. Any chance you could give me some more details of which department you spoke to? Also, do you have a picture by any chance?

Hi, it's funny you should mention this as I have just ordered the 46HX853 (after a couple of demos revealed the 46" TV to not have the motion problems I had with the 40") and since I sold my last vertical stand, I have been trying to get hold of another one.  I spent a good 45 mins talking rubbish with Sony reps trying to order another stand and still had no joy.  The last time I had it ordered within 10 minutes!  

The number I called originally (and more recently) was 0844 8466 555, but as I mentioned they were useless the other day.  Just had a look at the AVforums thread and a couple of people on there mention asking for Ahmed Mustafa when you call.

Anyway I shall be trying again Monday to get one, surely sooner or later I shall manage to talk to someone who actually knows what they sell.  Hope you have more luck getting one too!

Here are a couple of pics of the stand (I foolishly sold):-

Sony HX853 40/46" stand

Sony HX853 40/46" stand rev

Cheers, Jason

Naxos's picture

Cheers Slooper - well, there it is: irrefutable proof such a stand exists! :clap: I think I'll give them a call (did you have any more joy yourself, btw?). Looks ideal to just lift the TV above the soundbar (I currently have two smallish pieces of wood under the Sony plinth which just raise it sufficeiently but don't show behind the soundbar).

Just order a BLOK Stax-Low Duo stand to take the Sony TV, the new soundbar and my stripped down Cyrus/Supernait boxes, together with the Humax and Panny Blu ray, so very excited that at last I'll be able to accommodate everything on on nice-looking unit (as is Mrs. Naxos!).

I was speaking to Clare Newsome just before Christmas on Twitter and she suggested I waited until CES. I'm glad I took her advice as I've decided to wait as I think I'll get the new 55W900A.

I'm still going to get a custom made Blok Stax-Lo Uno stand. Naxos wondering if you could please post a pic of your new stand with your 40HX853.

Cheers!

Naxos's picture

DistortedVision wrote:

I was speaking to Clare Newsome just before Christmas on Twitter and she suggested I waited until CES. I'm glad I took her advice as I've decided to wait as I think I'll get the new 55W900A.

I'm still going to get a custom made Blok Stax-Lo Uno stand. Naxos wondering if you could please post a pic of your new stand with your 40HX853.

Cheers!

Sure, happy to! I'm having a couple of extra slots added to the back to help with cables and ventilation, so delivery is around 4 to 6 weeks - I'll try and get some shots when I've got it all set up. They seem really nice people to deal with.

Yes, interesting they appear to have ditched the soundbar plinth for the 2013 range.  :doh:

Slooper's picture

Naxos wrote:

Cheers Slooper - well, there it is: irrefutable proof such a stand exists! :clap: I think I'll give them a call (did you have any more joy yourself, btw?). Looks ideal to just lift the TV above the soundbar (I currently have two smallish pieces of wood under the Sony plinth which just raise it sufficeiently but don't show behind the soundbar).

Just order a BLOK Stax-Low Duo stand to take the Sony TV, the new soundbar and my stripped down Cyrus/Supernait boxes, together with the Humax and Panny Blu ray, so very excited that at last I'll be able to accommodate everything on on nice-looking unit (as is Mrs. Naxos!).

Hey Naxos, no luck i'm afraid, the last I was told was that the VLS (their spare parts system) was having technical difficulties, and they would get in touch when it is sorted.  I am slowly giving up trying to get this stand, what makes it worse is that I had it in my hands already and sold it  :doh:

Just been looking at a few TV units instead and really like the look of this one:

http://www.wayfair.co.uk/Techlink-Avatar-TV-Stand-PTV1BBG-TLK1054.html

I don't want to spend a huge amount but this one looks quite smart.

What do you think?

Slooper, you know I was talking to Daz on AV Forums about the stand you sold him. Well you know he actually returned his HX853 and was looking to sell the stand on. So you should get back in touch with him to see if you can buy it off him! He may not have got round to selling it because of Christmas etc. I've sent him a PM for you also.

Slooper's picture

DistortedVision wrote:

Slooper, you know I was talking to Daz on AV Forums about the stand you sold him. Well you know he actually returned his HX853 and was looking to sell the stand on. So you should get back in touch with him to see if you can buy it off him! He may not have got round to selling it because of Christmas etc. I've sent him a PM for you also.

Thank you very much, much appreciated.  I have just messaged Daz with an offer to buy his stand, fingers crossed he still has it.

Cheers, Jason

Pages