19 posts / 0 new
Last post
CJSF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 25/05/2011 - 19:24
Posts: 2028
Rubber record clamp . . .
English

Picture in the 2nd post . . . does anyone recognise this, it was, I think, a magazine givaway record clamp in the 80's????

Are they still avaliable, I've tried the internet with no luck . . . but then I'm not a good resercher.

CJSF

CJSF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 25/05/2011 - 19:24
Posts: 2028
RE: Rubber record clamp . . .

CJSF wrote:
Picture in the 2nd post . . . does anyone recognise this, it was, I think, a magazine givaway record clamp in the 80's???? Are they still avaliable, I've tried the internet with no luck . . . but then I'm not a good resercher. CJSF

 

 

Any one recognise this rubber devise, is it still avaliable?

CJSF

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 16144
RE: Rubber record clamp . . .

Comes from a Revolver Rebel I think.

They called the clamp 'The Pig'.

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

CJSF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 25/05/2011 - 19:24
Posts: 2028
RE: Rubber record clamp . . .

chebby wrote:

Comes from a Revolver Rebel I think.

They called the clamp 'The Pig'.

 

Yes Chebby, it seems Revolver used them, but mine certainly did come as a magazine freeby in the early 80's.  Problem, I  need to obtain some? . . . dont seem to be avaliable?

CJSF

Sospri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 23/03/2011 - 10:22
Posts: 362
RE: Rubber record clamp . . .

Wow Condoms for turntables, whatever next ROFL

Al ears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 23/11/2008 - 19:20
Posts: 3025
RE: Rubber record clamp . . .

CJSF wrote:

CJSF wrote:
Picture in the 2nd post . . . does anyone recognise this, it was, I think, a magazine givaway record clamp in the 80's???? Are they still avaliable, I've tried the internet with no luck . . . but then I'm not a good resercher. CJSF

 

 

Any one recognise this rubber devise, is it still avaliable?

CJSF

Nice setup CJSF, especially the album. Not so sure about the effectiveness of the pig over other forms of clamps though. I think they should have called it the 'Pawn' Smile

 

Motto: Never pay full price for anything, there is always room to haggle!

Tom Evans Audio Design amplification / Acoustic Zen speakers.

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 40 min ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6361
RE: Rubber record clamp . . .

Sospri wrote:

Wow Condoms for turntables, whatever next ROFL

 

Isn't it one of the pieces from Cluedo?

CJSF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 25/05/2011 - 19:24
Posts: 2028
RE: Rubber record clamp . . .

Alears wrote:

CJSF wrote:

CJSF wrote:
Picture in the 2nd post . . . does anyone recognise this, it was, I think, a magazine givaway record clamp in the 80's???? Are they still avaliable, I've tried the internet with no luck . . . but then I'm not a good resercher. CJSF

 

 

Any one recognise this rubber devise, is it still avaliable?

CJSF

Nice setup CJSF, especially the album. Not so sure about the effectiveness of the pig over other forms of clamps though. I think they should have called it the 'Pawn' Smile

Thanks 'alears' . . . thats a very special record, one of my 'Philistine recordings'8) You may have picked up on previous posts, I have been playing with spindle pucks and clamps because I have an acrylic 3mm ISOmat, very smooth surface, so a puck of some sort is essential.

The mat is affective, but the effect of the puck (mass) is quite obvious on sound quality, the lighter the puck the better? So I've been fiddling . . . :? It turns out, on my setup, it requires a balance of down force and the record clamp weight . . . I know it sounds strange but it has taken a lot of work today to balance it out.

The pig is OK but not a match for the Michell clamp once I had the down force worked out at 1.9g . . . the pig was beguiling at 1.7g but the record stability was not as consistent and the sound went a little wispy . . . and yes I did keep referring it back to the original felt mat setup, second best against the ISOmat. The felt requires another .01g of down force to sound right, but as Hazel said to me, "the felt mat does not quite have it in comparison".

CJSF

 

Al ears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 23/11/2008 - 19:20
Posts: 3025
RE: Rubber record clamp . . .

CJSF wrote:

Alears wrote:

CJSF wrote:

CJSF wrote:
Picture in the 2nd post . . . does anyone recognise this, it was, I think, a magazine givaway record clamp in the 80's???? Are they still avaliable, I've tried the internet with no luck . . . but then I'm not a good resercher. CJSF

 

 

Any one recognise this rubber devise, is it still avaliable?

CJSF

Nice setup CJSF, especially the album. Not so sure about the effectiveness of the pig over other forms of clamps though. I think they should have called it the 'Pawn' Smile

Thanks 'alears' . . . thats a very special record, one of my 'Philistine recordings'8) You may have picked up on previous posts, I have been playing with spindle pucks and clamps because I have an acrylic 3mm ISOmat, very smooth surface, so a puck of some sort is essential.

The mat is affective, but the effect of the puck (mass) is quite obvious on sound quality, the lighter the puck the better? So I've been fiddling . . . :? It turns out, on my setup, it requires a balance of down force and the record clamp weight . . . I know it sounds strange but it has taken a lot of work today to balance it out.

The pig is OK but not a match for the Michell clamp once I had the down force worked out at 1.9g . . . the pig was beguiling at 1.7g but the record stability was not as consistent and the sound went a little wispy . . . and yes I did keep referring it back to the original felt mat setup, second best against the ISOmat. The felt requires another .01g of down force to sound right, but as Hazel said to me, "the felt mat does not quite have it in comparison".

CJSF

 

Don't know Philistine recordings although I've heard a few Phil Spector's Smile
Yes, I have been following your other threads regards clamps and it doesn't look like the'Pig' covers enough area of the LP to be called a clamp as such.
I had thought about an Isomat at one point but ended up with the Origin Live variety which is quite good as it happens.

 

Motto: Never pay full price for anything, there is always room to haggle!

Tom Evans Audio Design amplification / Acoustic Zen speakers.

CJSF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 25/05/2011 - 19:24
Posts: 2028
RE: Rubber record clamp . . .

Alears wrote:

CJSF wrote:

Alears wrote:

CJSF wrote:

CJSF wrote:
Picture in the 2nd post . . . does anyone recognise this, it was, I think, a magazine givaway record clamp in the 80's???? Are they still avaliable, I've tried the internet with no luck . . . but then I'm not a good resercher. CJSF

 

 

Any one recognise this rubber devise, is it still avaliable?

CJSF

Nice setup CJSF, especially the album. Not so sure about the effectiveness of the pig over other forms of clamps though. I think they should have called it the 'Pawn' Smile

Thanks 'alears' . . . thats a very special record, one of my 'Philistine recordings'8) You may have picked up on previous posts, I have been playing with spindle pucks and clamps because I have an acrylic 3mm ISOmat, very smooth surface, so a puck of some sort is essential.

The mat is affective, but the effect of the puck (mass) is quite obvious on sound quality, the lighter the puck the better? So I've been fiddling . . . :? It turns out, on my setup, it requires a balance of down force and the record clamp weight . . . I know it sounds strange but it has taken a lot of work today to balance it out.

The pig is OK but not a match for the Michell clamp once I had the down force worked out at 1.9g . . . the pig was beguiling at 1.7g but the record stability was not as consistent and the sound went a little wispy . . . and yes I did keep referring it back to the original felt mat setup, second best against the ISOmat. The felt requires another .01g of down force to sound right, but as Hazel said to me, "the felt mat does not quite have it in comparison".

CJSF

 

Don't know Philistine recordings although I've heard a few Phil Spector's Smile Yes, I have been following your other threads regards clamps and it doesn't look like the'Pig' covers enough area of the LP to be called a clamp as such. I had thought about an Isomat at one point but ended up with the Origin Live variety which is quite good as it happens.

 

A figure of speech . . . 'Philistine', the rather uncouth, warring nation of biblical fame . . . My personal feeling is that the acrylic mats may all be sourced from one supply??? . . . I could be wrong, the thinking seems the same and they work well enough.

If you are using a heavy puck . . . there is no doubt lighter is better on my system . . . IMHO

CJSF

floyd droid's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/09/2008 - 17:39
Posts: 2755
RE: Rubber record clamp . . .

CJSF wrote:

Thanks 'alears' . . . thats a very special record, one of my 'Philistine recordings'8) 

 

Some good isnt it CJ.

CJSF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 25/05/2011 - 19:24
Posts: 2028
RE: Rubber record clamp . . .

floyd droid wrote:

CJSF wrote:

Thanks 'alears' . . . thats a very special record, one of my 'Philistine recordings'8) 

 

Some good isnt it CJ.

 

Hi Floyd, Jeff Beck is brilliant, a 'modern musician' as opposed to manufactured, modern 5 minuet wonders 'who think they have got tallent?'.

CJSF

 

floyd droid's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/09/2008 - 17:39
Posts: 2755
RE: Rubber record clamp . . .

And amen to that CJ  :clap:

Sospri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 23/03/2011 - 10:22
Posts: 362
RE: Rubber record clamp . . .

+ another for Jeff Beck, just ordered " Emotion & Comotion " on vinyl........

 

 

 


shropshire lad's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 18/02/2010 - 19:41
Posts: 421
RE: Rubber record clamp . . .

You'll probably call me a Philistine here , but I saw Jeff Beck the year before last at The Albert Hall , and as brilliantly gifted he is with a guitar and as good as his band were , I wasn't that wowed by them . I am familiar with a reasonable amount of his work , but I don't listen to it very often . It is probably something wrong with me .

 Just about the same time I could have seen Porcupine Tree at the same venue , but not being as familiar with their music as I am now , I opted to see Jeff . So whilst I can now say that I've seen Jeff Beck in concert , if I had to make the same choice today I'd chose to go and see Porcupine Tree . I listen to their music all the time these days and I find it much more varied than Jeff's music .

 I shall now retire to my air raid shelter ,

 

   Nick

CJSF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 25/05/2011 - 19:24
Posts: 2028
RE: Rubber record clamp . . .

shropshire lad wrote:

You'll probably call me a Philistine here , but I saw Jeff Beck the year before last at The Albert Hall , and as brilliantly gifted he is with a guitar and as good as his band were , I wasn't that wowed by them . I am familiar with a reasonable amount of his work , but I don't listen to it very often . It is probably something wrong with me .

 Just about the same time I could have seen Porcupine Tree at the same venue , but not being as familiar with their music as I am now , I opted to see Jeff . So whilst I can now say that I've seen Jeff Beck in concert , if I had to make the same choice today I'd chose to go and see Porcupine Tree . I listen to their music all the time these days and I find it much more varied than Jeff's music .

 I shall now retire to my air raid shelter ,

 

   Nick

We are all entitled to our opinion . . . I dont go to concerts . . . in fact, these days, I dont go out! I rely entirely on what I hear on recordings, perhaps that makes me the uninformed Philistine . . . ? I'm happy at 'CJ Towers' with the drawbridge up, living in the past and doing my own thing:O

CJSF

 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments