Are you about to destroy your PURE DMX-60 because it wants an upgrade? I nearly did but it's now fixed thanks to Bobetuk and his words of wisdom.
So, you've downloaded the update from the Pure website (DMX-60_2_3.exe), ran the program and it blew out.
So to fix this, shut the program down so that you are now sitting in front of your PC or laptop at the desktop, your DMX-60 is still plugged in and showing "waiting for upgrade".
Right click on "computer" or "my computer", select properties, select device manager (or find device manager, it'll be there somewhere). You will then get a window showing you all the devices on your computer. Provided you left the stereo plugged in you will see this on the list. If it has a yellow triangle or question mark showing on the icon, then that's telling you that the device hasn't installed properly and that windows needs the correct driver to make it work.
Select the device and then select "update driver" you'll then get some options, I opted to find the driver on my computer, which it did. So go install it. Once you've done that, the yellow triangle or question mark should have gone.
Go back to the Pure update program and run it again. Magic, it went through the whole process without any problem and within a few minutes I had a radio that worked, happy days.
Hope this helps.
I have had my Pure Evoke 3 in a cupboard for over a year now due to this general problem. It had been fine for years then it started not to turn on and when I went to try to upgrade when it did turn on it was just waiting. I've tried now to download an upgrade, it looked like it worked according to the PC but on the radio it came up with ERROR. However it has turned on and the message has gone, will have to wait and see if the problem has ben solved. Up until recently I would have recommended Pure to anybody but my mums Evoke 2 died after just a couple of years. Now lost confidence in them which is a shame.
This is my first post in any forum - so I am bound to get it wrong!
Now, last year I started buying off Ebay lots of Pure Evoke radios - some working and some faulty - this is my take on their demise.
This is my 'guess' on the problem - but it may be correct.
There is a common design block used - Silicon Frontier (whatever chips are availbale at the time) and Silicon Frontier use BGA chips which suffer from dry solder joints - especially when lead-free manufacturing came in. I believe the problem is some intermittent pins that corrupt the address to/reply back from the EEPROM. But then how does the upgrade software message appear? Well I remember repairing LAN equipment years ago and there was a protected part in the EEPROM which held the 'Bootloader program' - this program is probably initiated when the main software loops and the Watchdog Timer isn't reset. - if the bootloader is faulty or can't run or the dry joints disallow the main software to be fully loaded and functional again, then the radio will not work. If the dry joints are so bad that the software can't run then you have a dead radio. I have thought about buying a hot-air gun to reflow the BGA chip but I have limited cash funds and little experience using one. If the chip is reflowed but the boot loader is corrupted then you are not going to get the radio going. I reckon a lot of electronics landfill is due to the widspread use of the BGA chip format.
I have swapped out the Silicon Frontier module (in the Evoke 3) a couple of times and got dead units working (from radios with other faults).
Possibly someone with higher electronics knowledge than me will confirm or deny my thoughts.
A couple more ideas - electronic equipment is more reliable if kept at a constant temperature (though not too hot) - this will help reduce dry joints - this also means external heat/cold fluctuations will play a part in causing dry joints. I think that military electronics is still using leaded solder - lower melting point but more malleable.
Long story short: Try an alternative power supply. After months of the radio becoming more flakey and, eventually, not working at all, I bit the bullet and did some poking around. The power supply showed 6volts on the multimeter (correct) but on closer investigation, this collapses down to under 3 volts as the radio was going through its initialzation .
© 2014 Haymarket Publishing