38 posts / 0 new
Last post
duaplex's picture
RE: Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD or dedicated CD player?

I would say the 105 is an improvement, it certainly is the one to beat for me.  If I had the budget I would buy it already. I have not heard anything to sound so good and replace a CD player.  Remember when you are going up to this bracket, you are not only evaluating the BD perfomance, (that is a given with the Oppo and superb so you can tick that off), but you are judging its CD playback and is ability to beat dedicated players and other BD players. The 105 has a Sabre reference audio DAC, it is more than capable of satisfying any of your Musical needs.

Have a read :)

http://oppo-bluray.co.uk/ecommerce/blu-ray-players/oppo-bdp-105eu.aspx

FennerMachine's picture

Interesting suggestion Exoticsounds, I have considered a more budget player but then would also need to replace my AVR. Maybe that would be a good idea as its about 10 years old now but it was a good amp in its day. Although technology has moved on I think I would still have to spend a lot to replace it properly, although its only powering a centre and two rear speakers. The fronts run off of my Quads.

I am considering the Oppo 105. duaplex, have you done any direct comparisons of the stereo RCA outputs of the 751BD and Oppo 105? Did you notice any bass issues? As I have a 1360x768 native resolution TV some of the extra features of the Oppo 105 will be wasted. I don't plan on replacing my TV until it breaks. When that happens I will only replace it with a 1080P screen

duaplex's picture

No Bass issues with the 103 or 105 that I tested.  I have had a play with the CA, very good machine and at the time a leader in its price bracket for sure and probably better than most machines of a higher price.

I would be more inclined to compare the 103 to the CA. the 105 is another step up. It will save you £500.  Give them both a demo Smile Don't be surprised when the 105 sounds even better though Wink

Give David at Hifix a call, he recently took home the 103 and was impressed by its CD playback, by now he will have both machines and will be able to advise you more from his experience. 

An external DAC is a good idea, but you will be spending roughly the same amount of money to achieve a similar result.

duaplex's picture

Have a read of peoples opinions Smile

intereting how the cons list bass as being overbearing

http://www.whathifi.com/review/cambridge-audio-azur-751bd

FennerMachine's picture

Read all the user opinions.

Overbearing bass? Maybe that's what I'm experiencing? Uncontrolled bass?

The Oppo 103 doesn't have dedicated stereo outputs so it would have to be the 105 if I decide not to keep the 751BD. Now I've heard what newer players can do I will be selling my CD7Q, just a question of what player to get (or keep this one!). The CD7Q is a fantastic player just not for me any more. I've got a few days left to decide, just need to check Richer Sounds 7 day return policy – bought in on Sunday, could I take it back Sunday?

duaplex's picture

Yes you can, but to be safe call them and tell them about it. Once they have been informed it does not matter if you bring it back on Monday even, this was the case when i returned my TV.

I just went and had another demo of the 751BD and the Bass sounded ok to me, but I think you are going to be more pleased with the presentation of the 105, for me the 751 sounded more lke the old Oppo 95 (and rightfully so).  However this was not the only reason I went.... I tested the S790, BDT500 and CA for bluray playback. 

The BDT500 and CA where very close in thier presentation of bluray, the finer detail really came through on the CA, when watching Transformers, the CGI looked very good, the dust scenes and the detail on the transformers really popped. Between that and the BDT500 there is a wafer of difference. I could hardly tell the difference, until i replayed the scene twice over on each. 

The Sony S790 - not in the same league, the detail was lacking and it looked blurry when handling motion, I also noticed far more motion judder than the other two. 

Just wanted to share this with you Smile 

FennerMachine's picture

I'm going to call Richer Sounds tomorrow & let them know I might take it back.

I want to like the 751 but something does not feel (sound) right and I think I will always have a nagging feeling if I keep it. I will give it one more go tomorrow and if I can't live with it I'll box it back up ready for Sunday.

duaplex's picture

I was in a similar position with my TV last week. I purchased the Samsung UE55ES8000 and It bugged me that I didn't go for the Panasonic that I have now.  So naturally i returned it and I am so glad I did. ironically that was Richersounds too Smile 

FennerMachine's picture

I've called Richer Sounds. They say that Sunday would be OK.

The sales adviser said that there would be a 15.00% handling fee although the one who sold it to me on Sunday said that they might be able to waive the fee.

I can understand why they charge a fee as they don't really have to refund anyway as int snot faulty but £105.00 plus about £20.00 fuel is a lot to loose.

You live, you learn!

atkins4725's picture

I've taken a few bits back to RS and never had to pay the 15% fee???

duaplex's picture

I would argue for a full refund. When i returned my TV they told me the same thing.  I was ready to pay for it as the box was disposed of at the time (and they infomred me they would have to sell it unboxed).  Seems a little harsh, considering I was told something totally different. Of course I assume you have the box etc?

I'm not sure if Richersounds is a fanchise, and if they are, then they will all have the same returns policy for in store purchases, meaning they should be consistant.

If they refuse to give you the full refund ask to see the returns policy, if it talks about the 15% handling charge then you are pretty much snookered.  of course you could argue that as a consumer you should be made aware of the policy upon purchase of your item and I know for a fact the receipt does not mention this, as I have one right here.  It can be tricky as they are not obliged to do anything as something people believe.

Still, be polite and I am sure they will give you the refund entirely.  

duaplex's picture

Last point.... This is why buying online is the best approach, you are covered by the distant sellers act.

FennerMachine's picture

I've kept everything neat and tidy so I could return it if needed.

After demoing the 751 in store I asked about returning it if I didn't like it in my system and was told about a restocking fee of 10% but he said he would do something about that if I returned it within the 7 days.

I haven't looked at the actual printed receipt but they stapled it to an extra sheet which states there may be a handling fee depending on the condition of the item when returned or words to that effect.

I'm giving it one last go tonight anyway. If I can't get on with it I'll call them again and ask to speak to the person who dealt with me before I take it back. He was a nice chap!

I would have preferred to take home a demo version to test first but it was the last one they had.

I'm sure it will be fine.

duaplex's picture

Certainly deal with that person again if you go back, at least he will remember, or have a vague recollection.  I have always liked the Richersounds staff too, always helpful, but this 10% means that we need to buy and be sure to keep it.

Give it another as you say and let us know Smile Come what may, that still a heck of a player.

FennerMachine's picture

I decided to keep the 751BD.

Its not perfect for what I want but it is very close. DVD's and Blu-ray's look and sound good. CD audio is mostly good except for the bass.

Some of my CD's skipped with some songs with the CD7Q but the 751BD has played every disc I've thrown at it with no skipping and no artefacts on the screen from Blu-ray or DVD so far.

To get exactly what I want I will need to spend more money or get separate BD player/DAC, neither of which I want to do. Even then something else might not be right & could have other issues!

I'm going to sell all my unneeded kit to cover the cost of the 751BD. I might look at spending any left over on a sub or new speakers. I might even give the Spendor SA1's another go before selling them!

Pages