8 posts / 0 new
Last post
hammill's picture
QNAP TS-412or Synology DS213
English

I have narrowed down my choice to one of the above. I would be configuring with 2x2tb WD Red HDD (Yes I know QNAP can handle 4 drives) and would use it initially for family PC backup and squeezebox server, possibly streaming video in the future. Any recommendations gratefully received.

bigboss's picture
RE: QNAP TS-412or Synology DS213

I was considering between Synology & QNAP, & eventually went for Synology for its slightly better software ( DSM 4.0 ). In your case, I would be tempted by the QNAP as its offers better value in terms of the number of bays.

Andrew Everard's picture

Well, haven't done any side-by-side comparisons, but the QNAP I put together with WD Reds a couple of months back – as detailed in this blog post – is fast, quiet and has performed faultlessly so far

hammill's picture

Thanks gents, looks like the QNAP is the way to go.

hammill's picture

Just ordered from an Amzon market place supplier for the unlikely price of £151.01 delivered

bigboss's picture

hammill wrote:

Just ordered from an Amzon market place supplier for the unlikely price of £151.01 delivered

:O

That's an amazing price!! Noticed that the seller has no feedback. Amazon should protect you initially in case of any problems. Bear in mind that after 6 weeks, Amazon take no responsibility of the product, if the seller refuses to sort out any problem, even if under warranty. Hopefully it shouldn't come to that.

When the product arrives, check it thoroughy, & make sure it's not the previous version.

hammill's picture

bigboss wrote:

hammill wrote:

:O

That's an amazing price!! Noticed that the seller has no feedback. Amazon should protect you initially in case of any problems. Bear in mind that after 6 weeks, Amazon take no responsibility of the product, if the seller refuses to sort out any problem, even if under warranty. Hopefully it shouldn't come to that.

When the product arrives, check it thoroughy, & make sure it's not the previous version.

I had to confess I was a bit suspicious and I will certainly check it out thoroughly. I have bought a lot of stuff from marketplace sellers and they are generally excellent and the one time I had a problem, Amazon sorted it out. I am half expecting an email saying the price was accidentally £100 to cheap.
hammill's picture

Well I was right, the price was a mistake. Ended up getting  a "used like new" TS412 fron another Amazon 3rd party supplier for £211 next day delivery. QNAP arrived on Tuesday afternoon and the disks were formatted by Wednesday morning. Have copied over my music library and installed squeezebox server with all my favourtie apps and all is working fine. Have added the old handheld skin so I can more easily control from my Blackberry. Backed up my photo collection too and am using the QNAP PhotoStation application to publish it to the internet. I particularly like the dual ethernet ports - I run two networks, one home and one work (using hardware VPN) and both can happily talk to the QNAP - Squeezebox et all serve both networks at once.

BTW if you need to access the whole filesystem (not just the shares) as I did to add a new skin, WinSCP is a free download that is an excellent file transfer tool.