28 posts / 0 new
Last post
admin's picture
1080p Full HD vs 1080p HD-Ready

Is there a difference between the two? They are both 1920 * 1080p so is one superior over the other?

The_Lhc's picture
Re: 1080p Full HD vs 1080p HD-Ready

Where did you see that? The definition of FullHD is 1080p, HD-Ready is 720p/1080i.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

On TV's advertised everwhere, infact. Have a look at the TV's at Richer Sounds.

The_Lhc's picture

It's just lazy advertizing. Either that or they've had a lot of people asking why 1080p TVs aren't HD Ready.

Either way the 1080p ones should be labelled FullHD in all cases.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Full HD is 1080p, yes.

HD ready is a TV or device that can accept the HD signal wether it be 1080i or 1080p , so if a device is not HD ready it will have no HD inputs.

SKY says this in their adverts, you tv is HD ready, but its not HD until you hook it up to a SKY HD box, bla bla 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
canada16:

Full HD is 1080p, yes.

HD ready is a TV or device that can accept the HD signal wether it be 1080i or 1080p , so if a device is not HD ready it will have no HD inputs.

SKY says this in their adverts, you tv is HD ready, but its not HD until you hook it up to a SKY HD box, bla bla 

There appears to be three variations now - HD-Ready (720p/1080i), 1080p HD-Ready and 1080p Full HD. Just not quite sure about the one in the middle.

I have also noticed that the Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090 is a HD-Ready 1080p screen!

professorhat's picture

Full HD is not an official term, but was used as a kind of marketing ploy to try and differentiate between sets which are 720p compatible and sets which are 1080p compatible.

So anything which says HD Ready can accept an HD signal and has a resolution of 720p or above (thus a 1080p TV is an HD Ready TV just as a 720p set is). Some TVs also advertise their 1080p output ability as Full HD, but there's no official requirement for this to be so.

The owls are not what they seem...

aliEnRIK's picture

The confusion arises as technically ANY tv over the standard SD format is HD READY

At some point someone somewhere decided to start displaying 1080P tvs as 'full' hd

So a 1080P tv can be classed as full AND hd ready

Anything less is HD ready

ElectroMan's picture

The now defunct Sony magazine (the printed version) had the results of a survey last year about how most people, even those with a HD television, didn't understand the difference between HD ready and full HD.

Hmmm, I wonder whose fault that is?

bigboss's picture
ElectroMan:

The now defunct Sony magazine (the printed version) had the results of a survey last year about how most people, even those with a HD television, didn't understand the difference between HD ready and full HD.

.....The results will be similar if people are asked about Samsung's "LED" TVs.

It's all a marketing ploy. Manufacturers advertise in ways to attract people to buy their products, thereby resorting to such catch phrases like "Full HD", "HD ready" etc.

It's still not as bad as Samsung who have managed to completely distort people's perception & expectations regarding LED TVs. They never say that their TV is an LCD with LED edge lighting. Now when real LED TVs launch, I strongly suspect they will flop (they will be a lot more expensive, no doubt) unless manufacturers come up with a cleverer marketing tactic.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

The confusion emerged because the EICTA (the European body which originally set and administered the HD-Ready standard back in 2005) reacted too slowly to consumers' increasing preference for 1920 x 1080 panels. As a result, instead of being forced to adhere to one terminology guideline (as they were in 2005), manufacturers started to release 1920 x 1080 TVs using their own preferred badging: we saw 'True HD', 'Full HD 1080p' and many more.

So while the EICTA subsequently issued an 'HD Ready 1080p' standard in 2007, it was too late. Everyone was already using terms such as Full HD: it was in common usage, regardless of whether it was actually an officially supported term or not.

Essentially, it boils down to this: an 'HD Ready 1080p' set is Full HD, and vice versa. 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Thank you for the clarification, AK!

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
bigboss:
ElectroMan:

.....The results will be similar if people are asked about Samsung's "LED" TVs.

It's all a marketing ploy. Manufacturers advertise in ways to attract people to buy their products, thereby resorting to such catch phrases like "Full HD", "HD ready" etc.

It's still not as bad as Samsung who have managed to completely distort people's perception & expectations regarding LED TVs. They never say that their TV is an LCD with LED edge lighting. Now when real LED TVs launch, I strongly suspect they will flop (they will be a lot more expensive, no doubt) unless manufacturers come up with a cleverer marketing tactic.

i wonder would the sony x4500 be classed as a real led ?? seeing as its led clusters are directly behind the screen , and not around the edges , ala samsungs 7 and 8 series ..

or are there tvs in the pipeline that can actually do without the lcd screen , instead having thousands of led pixels ?? 

bigboss's picture
maxflinn:

i wonder would the sony x4500 be classed as a real led ?? seeing as its led clusters are directly behind the screen , and not around the edges , ala samsungs 7 and 8 series ..

or are there tvs in the pipeline that can actually do without the lcd screen , instead having thousands of led pixels ?? 

Nope, they're LCD TVs with backlit LED. Even Philips has invested in this technology. They have obvious advantages over the edge-lit LED ones. 

Check this article.

This is a true LED display:

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

im confused , so a true led tv does not have any lcd panel ??

Andrew Everard's picture

An LED TV (in the domestic sense) has an LCD panel, lit with LEDs.

An LED display (in the commercial sense, as in that picture above) forms the image from a matrix of LEDs. So far this is not a viable technology for the much smaller screen sizes used in the domestic environment.

Pages