Linn is describing as "simply out of this world" the improvements brought to its classic LP12 turntable by the new Radikal motor control unit and Urika onboard phono stage – and to prove it, it's staging a series of special events at selected dealers.
The new Radikal system comprises a control box (illustrated), DC motor and power supply, which together offer new levels of speed accuracy, plus "radically reduced electrical and mechanical noise"
There's a new onboard speed management system with automatic calibration giving more accurate speed control, and the motor has been designed for a low magnetic field and electrical noise, as well as being housed in a machined housing to cut vibration and resonance.
The Radikal control unit and power supply is available in a standard Linn chassis, in black or silver, at £2500 for the system, or in a machined-from-solid chassis to match the company's Klimax range, for £4500.
Also new is the Urika moving-coil phono stage, which fits inside the turntable. This position greatly reduces the signal path, for a cleaner sound, and the dual-mono amplifier is mounted on its own suspension.
More after the break
With both conventional RCA outputs and balanced XLRs, the Urika sells for £2250. Or it can be bought in a package with either of the versions of the Radikal, for £4200 or £6200 respectively.
A wide range of Linn turntable specialists are staging 'Out of this World - LP12SE' events starting this week. They include:
- Chris Brooks Audio, Warrington – 29 April
- Cymbiosis, Leicester – 30 April
- The Sound Organisation, York – 30 April
- Audio Designs, West Sussex – 30 April
- Sound Cinergy, Walsall – 01 May
- Infidelity, Hampton Wick – 01 May
- The Audio Room, Hull – 07 May 2009
- Ljudkompaniet, Uppsala, Sweden – 07 May
- The Sound Gallery, High Wycombe, UK – 07 May
- Number One Audio, Leamington Spa - 12 May
- Audio Synthese, Paris, France – 14-16 May
- Castle Sound, Nottingham – 14 May
- Ultimate Home, Gloucestershire – 14 May
- High Fidelity, Kassel, Germany – 16 May
- Lyric Hi-fi, Belfast – 19 May
- Adventures in Hi-fi, Chester – 21 May
- Musiikin, Helsinki, Finland – 26 May
- Home Digital Systems, Barcelona, Spain – 27-29 May
- Loud & Clear, Edinburgh – 28 May
- Audio Excellence, Zevenbergen, Netherlands – 29-30 May
- Tonlaget Hi-Fi, Gothenburg, Sweden – 01 June
- Audio Projects, Leeds – 02 June
- Radiyole, Gent, Belgium – 03 June
- Kontrapunkt, Oslo, Norway – 03-04 June
- Stereotypes, Brussels, Belgium – 04 June
- Nottingham Hi-Fi, Nottingham – 09 June
- Son Alta Fidelidad, Valencia, Spain – 10-12 June
- Tonbild Spinnerei, Luzern, Switzerland – 11-14 June
- Loud & Clear, Glasgow – 25 June
For details of all these events and to book, go to Linn's events website.