106 posts / 0 new
Last post
strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4453
RE: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 Plasma TV - Vertical Banding

It was this thread: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/any-suggestionsrecommendations-for-a-new-tv?page=1#comment-2805318

To be honest, it's not that interesting. I was merely speculating as to whether GT50s with a later manufacture date have fewer problems. It's probably a flawed hypothesis; and I don't know for certain that FE model numbers were built later than FBs...

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5138
RE: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 Plasma TV - Vertical Banding

Put the tv on this lunchtime, and there were 3 small yellow blotches on the screen. The main one was in a shape of a letter P, the others were smaller. 

I rang JL, who told me that the one month period when they would swap the tv over ended yesterday, and that I would have to ring Panasonic and ask for a repair. I wasn't having any of that, so they have now agreed to swap the tv over. They did however get me to do a factory reset on the tv, and the yellow marks have all gone, but I explained about the dse, and the fact that it was still visible, so they relented.

My wife has been looking on Japanese forums, and their seems to be trouble with the 2012 models over there too. 

I do hope I get a perfect tv next time, I'm really starting to regret selling the Kuro.  :cry:

6th.replicant's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 26/10/2007 - 18:16
Posts: 2988
RE: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 Plasma TV - Vertical Banding

Yeesh! Every year it seems there's a new problem with Panasonic's *cough* award-winning TVs: SD motion issues, fading blacks, vertical thin green line in the centre of the screen, etc, and now the fault mentioned in this thread. Impressive  :roll:

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12840
RE: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 Plasma TV - Vertical Banding

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

Put the tv on this lunchtime, and there were 3 small yellow blotches on the screen. The main one was in a shape of a letter P, the others were smaller. 

I rang JL, who told me that the one month period when they would swap the tv over ended yesterday, and that I would have to ring Panasonic and ask for a repair. I wasn't having any of that, so they have now agreed to swap the tv over. They did however get me to do a factory reset on the tv, and the yellow marks have all gone, but I explained about the dse, and the fact that it was still visible, so they relented.

My wife has been looking on Japanese forums, and their seems to be trouble with the 2012 models over there too. 

I do hope I get a perfect tv next time, I'm really starting to regret selling the Kuro.  :cry:

 

Fingers crossed, let us know how you get on with your replacement.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5138
RE: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 Plasma TV - Vertical Banding

Will do gel, though it's not being changed until Feb 5th. 

I think 6th Replicant makes a valid point, all these Panas are award winning tvs,  yet all seem to be beset with problems. 

What's the alternative though? The Samsung PS51E6500 looks decent, but I don't think my wife will accept one. Samsung are just regarded as cheap tvs for people who can't afford Japanese quality in Japan, so she'll take some persuading, even though she can see the problems with Panas. I really want a plasma, every LCD/LED I've ever seen has backlight problems, and the viewing angle is poor. 

Come on JL, bring me a perfect tv.  :pray:

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4453
RE: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 Plasma TV - Vertical Banding

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

What's the alternative though?

Come on JL, bring me a perfect tv.  :pray:

That may be hoping for too much. I certainly wouldn't put up with yellow splodges. And you were absolutely right to stand your ground on getting a replacement. 

There simply isn't a problem-free TV out there (maybe super-expensive OLED models, but we're yet to read reviews and hear how owners get on with OLED TVs long term). It's a case of picking which problems offend you least. I couldn't buy an LED TV because, instances of blobs aside, they make Panasonic's problems with screen uniformity seem negligible. 2012 Samsung plasmas have problems, too, including floating blacks and brightness pops.

As annoyed as I am by the dirty screen effect, I think the odds of getting a replacement GT50 without this issue are slim to none. Sorry if that's demoralising (that's not my intention). My replacement GT50 is better than the original set in certain regards and I hope it stays this way (or ideally improves). If you have minimal DSE on the replacement, no distracting buzz, and no splodges, this might be as good as it'll get.

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12840
RE: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 Plasma TV - Vertical Banding

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

Will do gel, though it's not being changed until Feb 5th. 

I think 6th Replicant makes a valid point, all these Panas are award winning tvs,  yet all seem to be beset with problems. 

What's the alternative though? The Samsung PS51E6500 looks decent, but I don't think my wife will accept one. Samsung are just regarded as cheap tvs for people who can't afford Japanese quality in Japan, so she'll take some persuading, even though she can see the problems with Panas. I really want a plasma, every LCD/LED I've ever seen has backlight problems, and the viewing angle is poor. 

Come on JL, bring me a perfect tv.  :pray:

 

I would definitely stick with the GT50.  I checked out the one in our John Lewis again yesterday I am pretty sure that one is fine too.  Yep, John Lewis can be a bit slow with delivery and it is definitely best to get it sorted straight away.  My laptop went wrong after 4 months last year and they had four attempts at repairing it before giving me the money to spend in shop again.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4453
RE: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 Plasma TV - Vertical Banding

Hi Gel,

 

One of the difficulties spotting DSE on 2012 Panasonic plasmas is that it shows up far less on high contrast settings (I've done a lot of reading on this now). Set to "Dynamic" in JL, chances are you'd never see an instance of the dirty screen effect. It's of course not visible on all content anyway.

Based on what I've read (and this seems somewhat true of the two GT50s I've now owned), DSE is also less visible in the "Normal" and "Game" presets. If I view a uniform grey screen (my AVR screensaver), this seem to be the case. There's still DSE, but it's harder to spot.

From what I recall, you watch using the Normal picture preset, right? Is there any way you can view a full grey screen and flick through the different picture presets to check for lighter vertical bands (probably toward the right)? As I've said previously, if you never see this in normal viewing, it's a non-issue. 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12840
RE: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 Plasma TV - Vertical Banding

strapped for cash wrote:

Hi Gel,

 

One of the difficulties spotting DSE on 2012 Panasonic plasmas is that it shows up far less on high contrast settings (I've done a lot of reading on this now). Set to "Dynamic" in JL, chances are you'd never see an instance of the dirty screen effect. It's of course not visible on all content anyway.

Based on what I've read (and this seems somewhat true of the two GT50s I've now owned), DSE is also less visible in the "Normal" and "Game" presets. If I view a uniform grey screen (my AVR screensaver), this seem to be the case. There's still DSE, but it's harder to spot.

From what I recall, you watch using the Normal picture preset, right? Is there any way you can view a full grey screen and flick through the different picture presets to check for lighter vertical bands (probably toward the right)? As I've said previously, if you never see this in normal viewing, it's a non-issue. 

 

Yep, I have got it on normal and to be honest scared to change it.   Smile  I have not changed the picture since the first one.  Can't you guys just watch it in normal too?  Looks really accurate to me, just as good as the Pioneer 5090.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4453
RE: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 Plasma TV - Vertical Banding

I don't like the colour balance on Normal. Besides, this doesn't eliminate the dirty screen effect on my GT50; it just makes it slightly less noticeable. The Normal preset also uses more dithering, so motion is not as good. I'm not trying to spoil your enjoyment of your GT50, honest....

 

I have the same issues as BBB:

1) I can get back on the replacement merry-go-round on the-off chance that eventually I'll get a GT50 without DSE

2) I can get a refund and buy a different TV

3) I can keep the GT50 I've got and hope things improve, or that I learn to live with the problems.

 

None of those options are great.

Getting replacements is a lot of hassle and I'm sure JL would eventually say enough is enough.

There isn't another make/model of TV I'd want to buy.

Which leaves me with option three. I've no idea if things will get better with the GT50 I currently have. The best I can say is that the replacement GT50 is a small improvement on the first one, at least so far. Beyond that, the GT50 has fewer issues than any other TV currently available. I think it ultimately boils down to accepting the lesser of several evils. Do I accept DSE, or choose torching, poor viewing angles, etc. instead. 

The very last option is to get a refund and wait for '60 series Panasonic plasmas. That would mean living without a TV for a couple of months; and I'm almost certain 2013 models will come stacked with their own problems that'll keep forums buzzing for another twelve months or more...

 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12840
RE: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 Plasma TV - Vertical Banding

strapped for cash wrote:

I don't like the colour balance on Normal. Besides, this doesn't eliminate the dirty screen effect on my GT50; it just makes it slightly less noticeable. The Normal preset also uses more dithering, so motion is not as good. I'm not trying to spoil your enjoyment of your GT50, honest....

 

I have the same issues as BBB:

1) I can get back on the replacement merry-go-round on the-off chance that eventually I'll get a GT50 without DSE

2) I can get a refund and buy a different TV

3) I can keep the GT50 I've got and hope things improve, or that I learn to live with the problems.

 

None of those options are great.

Getting replacements is a lot of hassle and I'm sure JL would eventually say enough is enough.

There isn't another make/model of TV I'd want to buy.

Which leaves me with option three. I've no idea if things will get better with the GT50 I currently have. The best I can say is that the replacement GT50 is a small improvement on the first one, at least so far. Beyond that, the GT50 has fewer issues than any other TV currently available. I think it ultimately boils down to accepting the lesser of several evils. Do I accept DSE, or choose torching, poor viewing angles, etc. instead. 

The very last option is to get a refund and wait for '60 series Panasonic plasmas. That would mean living without a TV for a couple of months; and I'm almost certain 2013 models will come stacked with their own problems that'll keep forums buzzing for another twelve months or more...

 

 

Tough one then.  Not sure what to recommend, John Lewis were starting to get a bit fussy on my third set with replacing them.  I really don't have any issues with mine.  I will have a think.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12840
RE: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 Plasma TV - Vertical Banding

What about returning it and getting a refund and taking a chance on the Panasonic 55st50 from the Panasonic shop for £999?

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4453
RE: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 Plasma TV - Vertical Banding

I think I'd then be relying on the accuracy of a theory of how to get a problem free GT50 (and I'd rather deal with JL's customer service than Panasonic's).

It'd be great to find out the model number of your GT50. That said, the theory that later manufactured GT50s may be better than earlier ones probably has no basis in reality either.

For now I'm content to give it a few weeks and see how I go. I wish I knew prices and release dates for 2013 models...

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5138
RE: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 Plasma TV - Vertical Banding

Mine is an FA prefix on my serial number, are you thinking the serial number prefix determines the date they were manufactured?

I've just been watching the football (I obviously don't want to talk about that), and I never noticed the DSE at all, so it's not attention grabbing. The yellow blotches have 100% disappeared, so I'm actually thinking of keeping this one. If I could be certain of getting a "perfect" model as a replacement, I'd grab it with both hands, but I'm not sure a perfect model exist, and I'm seriously thinking of sticking, not twisting.

If I can work out how to upload pictures, I'll put some up of the yellow blotches, especially the "p". Really odd.

 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12840
RE: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 Plasma TV - Vertical Banding

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

Mine is an FA prefix on my serial number, are you thinking the serial number prefix determines the date they were manufactured?

I've just been watching the football (I obviously don't want to talk about that)

 

 

What was the score BBB?   Laughing

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments