bigboss's picture
RE: Monitor Audio R One HD versus R225HDS

:cheers:

Looks nice!

micks_address's picture

bigboss wrote:
:cheers: Looks nice!

Thanks bb but i think my wife copped on to my cunning plan straight away... she was like... ohh i suppose a larger screen will be the next thing to land!

Leeps's picture

Glad you're happy with the end result Mick.  I think the Radius One trounces most "soundbars", even quite costly ones I've heard.

Enjoy!!

:clap:

bigboss's picture

Although technically it's not a soundbar. It needs an amplifier.

Leeps's picture

bigboss wrote:

Quite agreed BigBoss, but the cost of my amp and Radius One was about the same as a Yamaha YSP-2200 (which my father owns).  I know which I prefer!  It may not have the 'pretend rear effects' but it has a nice clean punchy sound, something that the Yamaha doesn't have.  In fact, the Yammy has turned into an expensive paperweight because parents don't see an improvement over TV sound!!  £800 is a lot of money to spend when the results are so poor.  Not sure how it managed such rave reviews.

Having said that, it's quite a cool looking paperweight!!!

bigboss's picture

Oh yes, I would expect the R One HD + amplifier to outperform a soundbar.

micks_address's picture

well for movies up to 60% of the audio comes from the centre speaker so with the r one hd im not loosing anything from my old r225hd centre as the speaker in the r one hd is essentially a r225 with two r90hds tagged on each end.. to be honest i dont miss the other speakers at all, when i listened to music before i always used my receiver in 'stereo' mode which was using the rsw12 with the two r225s for music anyway so now its basically two r90s with the rsw12 instead. The look is much better.. the r one is pretty much bang on the same width as my tv.. i actually dont think i'll be upgrading my screen this year after all, as from my viewing distance (about 6 to 9 feet depending where on the sofa you sit) 42" seems pretty big.. very happy so far.. i have still to run audessy calibration as i need to get the house to myself but i doubt it will be much different from the current settings!

Thanks,
Mick

micks_address's picture

Well its taken till nearly the end of the year, but i have replaced my VT30 with a 50VT65 and very happy with the results. I have the VT65 a few months now and had it calibrated yesterday. Its a great screen and the move from 42 to 50" has really been great. Im happy enough with the r one hd. I cant say I've noticed much of a decrease in performance from the r225s. http://i39.tinypic.com/jgkvh5.jpg Cheers, Mick

Leeps's picture

Glad you're pleased with the results.

i must thank you for your recommendation of the Auralex Mopads. They've made a remarkable difference.

I've taken a journey in the opposite direction to you, partly because I don't have the same limitations you worked with as my set-up isn't located in the corner of my room.  I did have the Radius One to begin with (now up for sale on a well-known online marketing resource!) as my original intention was to have a separate 2-channel system.  However once everything was in situ, I was surprised at how good the music sounded, particularly using the Extended Stereo setting on my amp.  My only criticism of the Radius speakers is that although they're pin sharp precise with steering effects, for music, their soundstage can seem restricted.  So using Extended Stereo (albeit with the fader halfway towards the front) opens up the soundstage beautifully.

Anyway, as I was pretty pleased with the musical qualities I decided to get the R270HD floorstanders, which I can site reasonably far apart which again widens the soundstage with music AND steering effects with movies.  

So in the centre now I have the Radius 250HD in front of the TV, placed on two sets of Auralex Mopads (which doubles the angle upward).  The Mopads have worked very well indeed.  They direct the tweeters at my ears instead of my knees (helpful, seeing I don't have any available ears halfway down my legs) and they really help to isolate the centre speaker from my wooden (MDF) cabinet.  I did get a little resonance before using the rubber feet supplied with the the Radius One, so the Mopads have knocked that on the head.

i'd certainly recommend the Auralex Mopads to anyone who has their centre speaker placed on a cabinet.  You get quite a large set of the foam wedges; using different combinations you can combine them to angle the centre flat, or at two choices of gradients. So thanks again for the tip.

KeithT's picture

Leeps wrote:

bigboss wrote:

Quite agreed BigBoss, but the cost of my amp and Radius One was about the same as a Yamaha YSP-2200 (which my father owns).  I know which I prefer!  It may not have the 'pretend rear effects' but it has a nice clean punchy sound, something that the Yamaha doesn't have.  In fact, the Yammy has turned into an expensive paperweight because parents don't see an improvement over TV sound!!  £800 is a lot of money to spend when the results are so poor.  Not sure how it managed such rave reviews.

Wow, surprised about the comment. I've owned/used a 2200 and thought that at times the soundstage was staggering. Admittedly you have to go into the control panel and tweak the sound but with movies it is far and away soooo much better than a TV and does a pretty good impression of 5.1. With music it's a bit ho hum in my view.

Leeps's picture

I speak as I find - I know there are many happy buyers of the YSP-2200, but my parents weren't among them, and from my experience with it, I had to agree.

I think it does depend on the room a great deal - they have a very large open-ended lounge that goes into two other open plan areas, so they needed sizeable floorstanders and a hefty amp really rather than a slimline soundbar.

On a different note, might I ask how your Roksan blends with the Radius?  I know our amps are very different beasts indeed, but in theory, I think the Roksan's balance (from memory) ought to balance much better than my Cambridge.  You experience would be appreciated.

micks_address's picture

Do you have any pictures of the auralex pads in place? im tempted to order but feel they might look a bit clunky

KeithT's picture

Leeps, I used to have the Kandy amp with my BX5's and thought that they worked very well, the Arcam with the R270s are very good

Pages