Have your say & ask the experts!

Glider . . .

21 replies [Last post]
CJSF's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 1863

. . . up and running . . . ???????????????

edplaysdrums42's picture
Offline
Joined: 2 May 2009
Posts: 213
RE: Glider . . .

What are you on about CJ...? i think we need more than that, well i do anyway puzzled

__________________

Imac, Airport Express, Audiolab 8200CD, Rega Planar 3, Ortofon 2M Black, Croft 25 pre & 7 series power amp, Harbeth P3ESR on Something Solid XF stands. Atlas & Black Rhodium interconnects, Maplins 10 gauge multistrand. Sennheiser HD380 Pro, Denon AH-D2000Laughing

CJSF's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 1863
RE: Glider . . .

edplaysdrums42 wrote:

What are you on about CJ...? i think we need more than that, well i do anyway puzzled

It will be answered 'Dandy C . . .' soon I hope . . . he was having a 'Benz Gider' cartrige fitted yesterday . . . I'm getting impatient woohoo!

CJSF puzzled

CJSF's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 1863
RE: Glider . . .

 

I'll tell you what . . . I had my ears syringed this morning . . . what a revelation . . . I do have an on-going problem with my ears . . . 'who said they know' . . . ! Smile But this time it was especially revealing, looking forward to Horlicks hour or three party time!

Makes that acrylic platter mat even better than I thought!

CJSF

DandyCobalt's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Oct 2010
Posts: 1447
RE: Glider . . .

Oh yes, yes, yes !!! Here she is...(I got my days wrong - it was fitted this afternoon).

 

Benz Micro Glider

First of all... thanks to Peter from Alternative Audio http://www.alternativeaudio.co.uk/.

He drove up from Somerset to fit it for me (making another visit too I hope, but was really keen to ensure that all was properly set up and rocking). Great to see a real hifi enthusiast who clearly loves his work - we chatted for over an hour before even starting on the cartridge switch.

Next, what a wonderful piece of engineering the Benz is. I hope the picture does it justice.

Secondly, what a great step up in sound...even though it apparently needs about 100 hours run-in.

Much deeper front to back sound stage (not sure what the correct terminology is) but more depth to the sound. Secondly, the bass is fuller and better defined. Much more detail coming through from the tracks.

We used Neil Young's "Harvest" to check all was working well. Stuff came out of it that I'd never heard before - it sounded like a different record, in a much better way.

Peter had also brought up an EAR 834P valve phono stage for me to compare with the Trichord Dino that I already have. Oh boy, what a combination...the sound was incredible.

As time was short (a day job was calling) I haven't had much more chance yet - but a long and enjoyable vinyl evening ahead. 

I can see the EAR as an early birthday present to self perhaps. One thing seems to lead to another...in a good way.

 

 

 

 

 

 

__________________

Pioneer tv + LX85, Sony HW15 Proj, Cyrus DAC XP+/Mono X300/CDXTSE2/PSXRx2, Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands and Maestro centre, B&W CM1 surrounds /PV1D (9.1), CA BD751, Virgin TiVo, Inspire Rega t/t, Benz Glider MC, EAR 834P phono amp; Slee Novo Headphone Amp.TQ Black.

stevieg330's picture
Offline
Joined: 6 May 2005
Posts: 57
RE: Glider . . .

DandyCobalt wrote:

Oh yes, yes, yes !!! Here she is...(I got my days wrong - it was fitted this afternoon).

 

Benz Micro Glider

First of all... thanks to Peter from Alternative Audio http://www.alternativeaudio.co.uk/.

He drove up from Somerset to fit it for me (making another visit too I hope, but was really keen to ensure that all was properly set up and rocking). Great to see a real hifi enthusiast who clearly loves his work - we chatted for over an hour before even starting on the cartridge switch.

Next, what a wonderful piece of engineering the Benz is. I hope the picture does it justice.

Secondly, what a great step up in sound...even though it apparently needs about 100 hours run-in.

Much deeper front to back sound stage (not sure what the correct terminology is) but more depth to the sound. Secondly, the bass is fuller and better defined. Much more detail coming through from the tracks.

We used Neil Young's "Harvest" to check all was working well. Stuff came out of it that I'd never heard before - it sounded like a different record, in a much better way.

Peter had also brought up an EAR 834P valve phono stage for me to compare with the Trichord Dino that I already have. Oh boy, what a combination...the sound was incredible.

As time was short (a day job was calling) I haven't had much more chance yet - but a long and enjoyable vinyl evening ahead. 

I can see the EAR as an early birthday present to self perhaps. One thing seems to lead to another...in a good way.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi DandyCobalt,

 

I have heard that the Benz cartridges are really nice although I haven't heard one myself.

 

I also have the Trichord Dino. Could you tell me how the EAR 834P sounded compared to the Dino. I have read that the 834P is a bit dull.

 

Many Thanks for your time

 

Kind Regards

 

Steve

__________________

System : Michell Gyrodec SE with RB300 & Ortofon Cadenza Black / Trichord Dino / Arcam DV135 / Naim NAC112x/NAP150 / Monitor Audio RX6

CJSF's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 1863
RE: Glider . . .

DandyCobalt wrote:

Oh yes, yes, yes !!! Here she is...(I got my days wrong - it was fitted this afternoon).

 

Benz Micro Glider

First of all... thanks to Peter from Alternative Audio http://www.alternativeaudio.co.uk/.

He drove up from Somerset to fit it for me (making another visit too I hope, but was really keen to ensure that all was properly set up and rocking). Great to see a real hifi enthusiast who clearly loves his work - we chatted for over an hour before even starting on the cartridge switch.

Next, what a wonderful piece of engineering the Benz is. I hope the picture does it justice.

Secondly, what a great step up in sound...even though it apparently needs about 100 hours run-in.

Much deeper front to back sound stage (not sure what the correct terminology is) but more depth to the sound. Secondly, the bass is fuller and better defined. Much more detail coming through from the tracks.

We used Neil Young's "Harvest" to check all was working well. Stuff came out of it that I'd never heard before - it sounded like a different record, in a much better way.

Peter had also brought up an EAR 834P valve phono stage for me to compare with the Trichord Dino that I already have. Oh boy, what a combination...the sound was incredible.

As time was short (a day job was calling) I haven't had much more chance yet - but a long and enjoyable vinyl evening ahead. 

I can see the EAR as an early birthday present to self perhaps. One thing seems to lead to another...in a good way.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

That sounds great Dandy . . . you sound like a very happy camper . . .

EAR . . . briliant kit, its what I had as my standard kit in the 80's and 90's, I had EAR 509 mono blocks, the EAR preamp and EAR MC Head step-up transformer, a superb combination I miss every time I listen to my present system . . .

I look forward to your future reports, enjoy . . . party time!

CJSF

DandyCobalt's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Oct 2010
Posts: 1447
RE: Glider . . .

All I can say is that the 834P, with the Benz, was sublime.

I've really liked the Trichord Dino, but the 834 just took things to another level - it hadn't even really warmed up.

Perhaps it's to do with matching the kit - with Cyrus and B&W, perhaps they need a little bit of restraining or filling out - but the 834P provided a richness and fullness that the Trichord just couldn't match.

Oh dear .....

 

__________________

Pioneer tv + LX85, Sony HW15 Proj, Cyrus DAC XP+/Mono X300/CDXTSE2/PSXRx2, Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands and Maestro centre, B&W CM1 surrounds /PV1D (9.1), CA BD751, Virgin TiVo, Inspire Rega t/t, Benz Glider MC, EAR 834P phono amp; Slee Novo Headphone Amp.TQ Black.

CJSF's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 1863
RE: Glider . . .

DandyCobalt wrote:

All I can say is that the 834P, with the Benz, was sublime.

I've really liked the Trichord Dino, but the 834 just took things to another level - it hadn't even really warmed up.

Perhaps it's to do with matching the kit - with Cyrus and B&W, perhaps they need a little bit of restraining or filling out - but the 834P provided a richness and fullness that the Trichord just couldn't match.

Oh dear .....

 

 

Dandy, you have discovered proper 'valves', and proper musical hifi . . . There are only a handful of people in the world who can put them together like that . . . lots of copiers, but I mean originals who set the pace.

By the way, did you need to use shims on the arm for VTA adjustment?

CJSF

 

DandyCobalt's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Oct 2010
Posts: 1447
RE: Glider . . .

No shims needed. In situ, the arm with Benz was level, maybe a very slight downward position when on the record (hardly noticeable, if any) and Peter thought this would suit it well.

 

__________________

Pioneer tv + LX85, Sony HW15 Proj, Cyrus DAC XP+/Mono X300/CDXTSE2/PSXRx2, Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands and Maestro centre, B&W CM1 surrounds /PV1D (9.1), CA BD751, Virgin TiVo, Inspire Rega t/t, Benz Glider MC, EAR 834P phono amp; Slee Novo Headphone Amp.TQ Black.

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11410
RE: Glider . . .

CJSF wrote:

 

I'll tell you what . . . I had my ears syringed this morning . . . what a revelation . . . I do have an on-going problem with my ears . . . 'who said they know' . . . ! Smile But this time it was especially revealing, looking forward to Horlicks hour or three party time!

Makes that acrylic platter mat even better than I thought!

CJSF

Is it possible that this is the reason why the TQ Black didn't appear to give an improvement over the Linn s/c? Like I said back on that thread, I always like to understand why something hasn't worked as expected.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

CJSF's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 1863
RE: Glider . . .

CnoEvil wrote:

CJSF wrote:

 

I'll tell you what . . . I had my ears syringed this morning . . . what a revelation . . . I do have an on-going problem with my ears . . . 'who said they know' . . . ! Smile But this time it was especially revealing, looking forward to Horlicks hour or three party time!

Makes that acrylic platter mat even better than I thought!

CJSF

 

Is it possible that this is the reason why the TQ Black didn't appear to give an improvement over the Linn s/c? Like I said back on that thread, I always like to understand why something hasn't worked as expected.

I thought this might come up . . . but no Cno, I have suffered with the problem on a 6 monthly basis since I was 14 years old. It usually starts to becomes an issue 2 weeks before I give in and go for a syringe and puts my judgment in question for only a few days, in this case, I stopped listening to music on Friday 20th, syringe Wednesday morning 25th.

Although I did sit and think about it . . . 'in respect of the acrylic platter mat'? . . . I have been able to go over that ground again on Thursday, as far as the platter mat performance is concerned, things are better if anything . . . until I moved the TT Friday morning (yesterday) to try some sorbothane feet, what a waste of time and effort that was!

The other point is Hazel has been in on all my change/evaluation sessions since Christmas. We have agreed at the time on all our findings, as I have said in the past, Hazel may not have the technical now how but she has a great pair of ears that I trust.

CJSF

 

 

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11410
RE: Glider . . .

That's fair enough...and I hope you realize I wasn't being in any way critical or smart; just curious.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

CJSF's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 1863
RE: Glider . . .

CnoEvil wrote:
That's fair enough...and I hope you realize I wasn't being in any way critical or smart; just curious.

 

Not a problem mate . . . I even thought about not mentioning it on the forum? . . . but I have nothing to hide on my views and evaluation, they are all in 'my humble personal opinion' . . . the cable evaluation was far enough back not to be affected.

Imagine what it was like when 'music sound and presentation' was a major part of my making a living?. I usually had to stop any listening for a few days . . . get on with some real work:rofl: Problem is, I get very grumpy and sometimes a bit dizzy if I dont get the timing right, the old dragon at the surgery can be difficult and not give an appointment soon enough read this

CJSF

DandyCobalt's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Oct 2010
Posts: 1447
RE: Glider . . .

Just a note to say that Peter from Alternative Audio is letting me have an 834P for a week from Tuesday to properly audition it. Looking forward to it.

 

__________________

Pioneer tv + LX85, Sony HW15 Proj, Cyrus DAC XP+/Mono X300/CDXTSE2/PSXRx2, Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands and Maestro centre, B&W CM1 surrounds /PV1D (9.1), CA BD751, Virgin TiVo, Inspire Rega t/t, Benz Glider MC, EAR 834P phono amp; Slee Novo Headphone Amp.TQ Black.

CJSF's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 1863
RE: Glider . . .

DandyCobalt wrote:

Just a note to say that Peter from Alternative Audio is letting me have an 834P for a week from Tuesday to properly audition it. Looking forward to it.

 

 

Peter knows what he is doing . . . thats an early birthday present then Dandy . . . beauty, eh

CJSF