Have your say & ask the experts!

Rega RP6

16 replies [Last post]
stevebrock's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Nov 2009
Posts: 3653

Well I have gone for it!

Gloss White Rega RP6 with Exact cartridge from Moorgate Acoustics 

Should pick it up Tues/Weds next week depending when the Exact arrives.

Very excited now.....I know I wont be dissapointed!

 

__________________

Icon Audio ST40 III / KT88, Rega Apollo R, DAC, RS3

Rega RP6, Nagaoka MP-200, White Belt, Michell Tecnoweight, Rega Fono MM

Rega Quattro, Couple 1 & 2

 

 

 

 

 

mitch65's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Dec 2003
Posts: 1134
RE: RP6

stevebrock wrote:

Well I have gone for it!

Gloss White Rega RP6 with Exact cartridge from Moorgate Acoustics 

Should pick it up Tues/Weds next week depending when the Exact arrives.

Very excited now.....I know I wont be dissapointed!

 

Nice! party time!

__________________

Rotel RCD-965BX

Spotify - Yamaha R-N500 Network Receiver

Denon TU-260LII

NAC A5 - Spendor SA-1

AKG K551

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Nov 2009
Posts: 3653
RE: RP6

I did think about the Goldring 1042 cart, but heard the Exact is a great cart and Ive always liked my Elys 2 despite a lot who dont!

Anyhow I need to keep my Rega synergy going!

Talking to my dealer, I asked if the Brio R was good enough for the RP6/Exact - the reply I got the better the source the better the Brio R sounds - Ive noticed a big step in performance with my Synology NAS > Rega DAC - sounds incredible even with RS1s.

 

__________________

Icon Audio ST40 III / KT88, Rega Apollo R, DAC, RS3

Rega RP6, Nagaoka MP-200, White Belt, Michell Tecnoweight, Rega Fono MM

Rega Quattro, Couple 1 & 2

 

 

 

 

 

Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15580
RE: RP6

stevebrock wrote:

Well I have gone for it!

Gloss White Rega RP6 with Exact cartridge from Moorgate Acoustics 

Should pick it up Tues/Weds next week depending when the Exact arrives.

Very excited now.....I know I wont be dissapointed!

 

Wonderful!

Did you have a demo?

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Nov 2009
Posts: 3653
RE: RP6

I did yes had the RP3 and RP6 side by side with a Brio R and RS1s!

Well where do I start, more bass, a lot more definition it was very engaging and I really was gobsmacked how good it sounded with the Brio R & RS1s, I was just enjoying it so much, non fatiguing just musical and I was captivated.

Listened to Roxy Music - Avalon, War of the Worlds and Judi Tzuke - Portfolio.

As soon as More Than This kicked in I knew straightaway it was for me!

Just cant wait to explore my Lps all over again!

 

__________________

Icon Audio ST40 III / KT88, Rega Apollo R, DAC, RS3

Rega RP6, Nagaoka MP-200, White Belt, Michell Tecnoweight, Rega Fono MM

Rega Quattro, Couple 1 & 2

 

 

 

 

 

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Joined: 3 Mar 2010
Posts: 3147
RE: RP6

Well done. Great feeling when you buy something that encourages you to rediscover all your old music.

__________________

Main system: Mac Mini 2011 • HRT II+ DAC • Lacie 3TB Cloudbox NAS • Marantz CD63KIS • Marantz PM66 KI • EB Acoustics EB2

In storage: Thorens TD160 (no cart) • Cyrus 2 + PSX • Cyrus tuner • Technics SL-P777 • Nakamichi DR-1

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Apr 2011
Posts: 1667
RE: Rega RP6

Adrenaline Junkie...! Wink

 

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Nov 2009
Posts: 3653
RE: Rega RP6

 

Vinyl junkie more like!

 

__________________

Icon Audio ST40 III / KT88, Rega Apollo R, DAC, RS3

Rega RP6, Nagaoka MP-200, White Belt, Michell Tecnoweight, Rega Fono MM

Rega Quattro, Couple 1 & 2

 

 

 

 

 

Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15580
RE: Rega RP6

Steve, have to admit, I'm totally envious.

Loved older Rega TTs. Undecided about Rega Apollo (original) and Dac. I absolutely admire their products but can't love'em. But I am tempted by the RP6, with or without the recommended cart.

(Scratches head) Speakers or new TT?

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Nov 2009
Posts: 3653
RE: Rega RP6

plastic penguin wrote:

Steve, have to admit, I'm totally envious.

Loved older Rega TTs. Undecided about Rega Apollo (original) and Dac. I absolutely admire their products but can't love'em. But I am tempted by the RP6, with or without the recommended cart.

(Scratches head) Speakers or new TT?

Regarding the Apollo & Rega DAC........

I have been using an Apollo R with the Rega DAC for 6 months now and it has been really nice, however the Synology NAS into the Rega DAC via USB outperforms the Apollo r/DAC combo - so much more detail, I still cant believe it my self even my GF notices how detailed it is!

Think the general concensus on here that the RS1 are lacking, but in my lounge they are really hitting the spot along with the Brio, the Rega DAC really is showing itself for what it is now with a more stable source (NAS) which was what it was designed for!

 

__________________

Icon Audio ST40 III / KT88, Rega Apollo R, DAC, RS3

Rega RP6, Nagaoka MP-200, White Belt, Michell Tecnoweight, Rega Fono MM

Rega Quattro, Couple 1 & 2

 

 

 

 

 

CJSF's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 1868
RE: Rega RP6

plastic penguin wrote:

(Scratches head) Speakers or new TT?

PP, be honest, you know speakers are only as good as the signal they are fed with, change speakers, all you do is change the sound, not better or worse, just a sidways move . . . ?  Ever was and ever will be, you know it makes sence . . . !  It all starts at source, unless of course your sourse is that good?

CJSF

Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15580
RE: Rega RP6

CJSF wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

(Scratches head) Speakers or new TT?

PP, be honest, you know speakers are only as good as the signal they are fed with, change speakers, all you do is change the sound, not better or worse, just a sidways move . . . ?  Ever was and ever will be, you know it makes sence . . . !  It all starts at source, unless of course your sourse is that good?

CJSF

Yes and no. One would naturally assume the source is the place to start, but, as I've found on a number of occasions, speakers make the bigger difference. Note I didn't say biggest.

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

floyd droid's picture
Offline
Joined: 5 Sep 2008
Posts: 2689
RE: Rega RP6

plastic penguin wrote:

(Scratches head) Speakers or new TT?

Amp and speakers ,sort the TT later. Based on the fact that now and again you post threads with negatives in relation to both. Not having a pop byraway.

chebby's picture
Online
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Posts: 15382
RE: Rega RP6

floyd droid wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

(Scratches head) Speakers or new TT?

Amp and speakers ,sort the TT later. Based on the fact that now and again you post threads with negatives in relation to both. Not having a pop byraway.

Yep, you've mentioned - more than once - that you chose the Leema to cure problems with the RS6s.

__________________

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15580
RE: Rega RP6

chebby wrote:

floyd droid wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

(Scratches head) Speakers or new TT?

Amp and speakers ,sort the TT later. Based on the fact that now and again you post threads with negatives in relation to both. Not having a pop byraway.

Yep, you've mentioned - more than once - that you chose the Leema to cure problems with the RS6s.

No. I sold my Arcam A65 and RS6s to purchase the Leema (used my old Wharfedales in the interim). Purchased this pair a couple of months after the Pulse as a STOP GAP. Didn't realise 18 months later I would still have the MAs. The naim purchase wasn't planned, just a bit of curiosity that went beyond my expectations.

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15580
RE: Rega RP6

floyd droid wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

(Scratches head) Speakers or new TT?

Amp and speakers ,sort the TT later. Based on the fact that now and again you post threads with negatives in relation to both. Not having a pop byraway.

To address your question a little more direct: I know you're not having a 'pop'. I've never whinged about the SQ of the Pulse. What I have questioned, during the transitional period, is to find the best source - now found with the Naim, but hate the looks - and a lot of the time seriously considered streamer option. That's not practical in my house, and it would cost a fortune to buy a streamer, NAS, lap top or Smart Phone. Far more than the £400 squid I paid for the Naim.

That said, as it stands, my system is cracking for the money spent. And no, the Pulse is the last thing I'll part with. You're not a fan, I am.

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin