471 posts / 0 new
Last post
the record spot's picture
Onkyo TX-8050 alert - It's arrived, it's arrived!

With a nod to Colin Clive after a good jolt of electricity brought his creation to life, a similar, though not quite identical exercise brought my latest box of tricks into being as well (at least, in this living room).

Very, very rarely will I dip a toe into the murky waters of hifi gear and buy something completely blind.  I'll usually trawl through any reviews I can find, seek out as many user reviews on top of those, then check out the specs online, then...blah blah blah...I'll eventually buy the thing or I'll walk away.  In fairness, there's been stability for the most part in the last year or two with just the amp changing.

So when Onkyo added a network stereo receiver to their two-channel lineup, my eyes lit up.  Checking out the specs, they lit up even more.  Short of HD audio, this delivered everything I'd usually want to play and then some.  Hummed and hawed for ages, hoping a review would turn up, none did.  Started seeing user reviews appearing really talking this thing up.  Price had been £400, but then it came down in Superfi and Richer Sounds.  Hmmm, then Superfi start doing their 10% off thing, so suddenly we're looking at the wallet just before the ...

So I bought one and it arrived today.  Out the box, it's a smart looking thing and substantial too.  I've never been a big fan of the fascia, or more accurately, the plasticky knobs, but you can pitch the same complaint at any number of manufacturers now (Yamaha AS3/5/700 owners will be on the page here for instance).  Other than this, there's no gripes.   The display is clear, spread over two lines and can easily be read from across the room.  It can be dimmed too.

There's a variety of buttons inset flush to the fascia below the display (setup, enter, return, speaker select and so on) with four knobs (input, bass, treble and balance) towards the bottom.  A "Pure Audio" button and a larger volume knob complete the tweakery to the front.  Oh and there's a USB connector for iPods to the front bottom right.  

Round the back, well, let's just say it's an amp that caters for anything and everything most users would likely want to plug in - CD, turntable, TV, Blu-ray, game console, VCRs (yep!) and the list goes on.  It'll take an additional power amp and a subwoofer as well.  The Firmware upgrade was a doddle, via homeplug and so now it has Spotify, with a little help from Onkyo's free app on the iPod Touch.  I'm sitting here just over an hour or so in, all set-up and playing music.  The internet function is good, though I need to explore it more but currently streaming Spotify and it's great.

The ample power on tap (130wpc at 6ohms, roughy 100wpc at 8), means it'll drive just about anything.  And with that in mind, the sound quality is very good; no harshness, good bass and nicely balanced with everything all present and correct.  The TX8050 sounds way better than you'd expect for £400 and for the £270 I handed over, it's an utter steal.  I'm very impressed with how Onkyo managed to turn this out but I'm not too sure how they did it.  Either way, this should be on anyone's list that's looking for a new amp under £500 and maybe even a tad more. 

Oh and to round off what's turning into a great day for me, I just had a phone call when writing this up with the offer of a new contract.  Six months business analysis work with one of the banks in Edinburgh on a big development programme there.  If I wasn't babysitting tonight, I'd crack a bottle open - what a happy boy; it's going to be a good Christmas after all!

RE: Onkyo TX-8050 alert - It's arrived, it's arrived!

...and of course that should've said "...just before the offer ran out on Sunday night" at the end of the third paragraph.  Oops!

The_Lhc's picture

Shame it doesn't have an HT bypass input.

We've got some cheesy Christmas tunes on the go now - people, we are bouncing !!  

:bounce: Dance 4 :beer: :cheers: :wave: :bounce:

Gareth82's picture

Thanks for letting us know about how the onkyo is performing so far. Keep us updated on how it is after a few days of use with different sources and types of music etc...

Although i have just picked up a Roksan Kandy LIII i am still interested in maybe picking up one of the 8050's in the new year so it would be good to be kept informed on how good it is.

One thing i read somewhere is that the front usb port can take a external hard drive and playback the folders from it, if you have got one it may be worth and try to see how it performs and it would be great if you could confirm it works. Also don't forget that you can also use onkyos wireless usb adaptor in the front usb as well.

Thanks, and enjoy your new toy for christmas, and it's a great excuse to have a new years partys and see how it copes when you crank it up :rockout:

Overdose's picture

That seems like an unbelievably good deal for such a versatile receiver. Nice.

Does it sream from a NAS as the write up suggests? This could be a contender for a network media player until the new Pc/Mac mini arrives.

moon's picture

Happy Christmas to you RS, really glad you like the Onkyo. It's been on my radar to match my new speakers............ As a fully payed up member of the Spotify I would be greatful if you could keep me informed of its userbility and any software or drop out issues. And is the Onkyo app any good.

:cheers:

The Spotify app isn't native, so you need to - and apologies for repeating myself - install the firmware update.  Then you can select it from the Net option menu using the remote and while I'm still working it out, it's pretty good and I can access my folders easily enough from it.  The app isn't bad, though I need to get used to it and play around with it a bit more.  Spotify itself is stable (I use a wired homeplug connection) and sound quality is good.

DLNA comes as standard and it worked a treat streaming Bowie's "Aladdin Sane" off my laptop wirelessly.  Sound quality was as good as I've heard it.  Internet Radio options are provided and there are (at least) two or three services and each of those has various genres with the stations therein.  I'll be adding more music to my hard drive and I'll try out that suggestion to put the external HDD in via the USB.  Worth a shot I think.  

And yes, it is incredibly versatile, well built, sounds good and price can't be faulted even at the full SRP.  I'll keep you posted over the next few weeks on how it's going, but I imagine I will probably be changing the speakers - the 751 Freedoms are too rounded off in the treble to float my boat.  The original 751s kick them into a cocked hat.

Blackdawn's picture

Congrats on the new purchase. Seems like it has all the connectivity one would ever need. What speakers are you going to get? What about the Q acoustics 2050i or mission MX4?

HiFi - Cambridge Audio 340C, Pioneer A30, Denon TU 260L, Dali Lektor 2. 

My living room layout's changed, so I need some good standmount speakers as they fire across the width rather than down the room longways.  Likely candidates are a pair of Mission 751 originals, but I want to see what other high quality 5" or 6" drive unit 2-ways are out there.  AVI are doing a deal on their Neutron V at £300 delivered in the UK.  Seriously considering those too.

Blackdawn's picture

The epos epic 2's might be worth a try.

HiFi - Cambridge Audio 340C, Pioneer A30, Denon TU 260L, Dali Lektor 2. 

I'll have a look over them; cheers.  Have you heard them by any chance?

John Duncan's picture

the record spot wrote:

AVI are doing a deal on their Neutron V at £300 delivered in the UK.  Seriously considering those too.

Definitely worth considering; there's little else I can think of that would be better at the price excepting perhaps the Usher S-520 - bit more expensive, but I like them a lot. 

Be cautious, though, when reading specs that say "useful output down to 30hz" (a subjective statement).  Clean and natural, certainly, but bass monsters they are not (and not as good as PMC DB1is, for anyone watching).

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com

Thanks for that JD, that's useful to know.  I'm probably not after bass monsters as such, but I don't necessarily want too much in the way of neutrality.  The downside is not being able to hear these speakers locally.  And of course, I still like the original 751 which I loved back in the early 90s.  

The problem with the Neutron is the near absence of reviews where they've been tested without the subwoofer.  I've read the SOS review, but more would be good.  I suppose clean and natural is a good thing of course, but it's hard to know without a demo.  I'm not going to find a better speaker, but I might find something more suited to my tastes if it turns out to be too neutral a sound when partnered with the Onkyo.  

Thanks for the heads-up re: the PMC, but I suspect they're going to be over my budget.

dariushifi's picture

In response to one of the previous questions about Onkyo’s front usb port capabilities I would like to point out that I connected 250 GB flash external drive and Onkyo initialized it  no problem and  found all files no problem. Also To my surprise it played FLAC  24/96  and WAV 24/96 Hi resolution files with ease displaying full 3200 kb/s reproduction. I have to point out that it does not switch HD off while on standby, you have to unplug USB or switch Onkyo’s power completely.

Also I tend to have a feeling that streamed WAV 24/96 files sound a bit livelier compared with the same file through USB port. However in FLAC 16/44 files I hear no difference. In any case I am pleased and surprised with this option.

John Duncan's picture

the record spot wrote:

Thanks for that JD, that's useful to know.  I'm probably not after bass monsters as such, but I don't necessarily want too much in the way of neutrality.  The downside is not being able to hear these speakers locally.  And of course, I still like the original 751 which I loved back in the early 90s.  

The problem with the Neutron is the near absence of reviews where they've been tested without the subwoofer.  I've read the SOS review, but more would be good.  I suppose clean and natural is a good thing of course, but it's hard to know without a demo.  I'm not going to find a better speaker, but I might find something more suited to my tastes if it turns out to be too neutral a sound when partnered with the Onkyo.  

Thanks for the heads-up re: the PMC, but I suspect they're going to be over my budget.

My initial thoughts when I bought them here.  I kept them in place of DB1+s for quite a while (primarily because Mrs JD liked the look :-D)

I figured DB1is would be over budget, just being mischievous Wink

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com

Pages