102 posts / 0 new
Last post
boggit's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 24/02/2013 - 17:41
Posts: 268
Leema Pulse and PMC DB1i
English


Hi

Ater looking and reading on this forum for 6 months I think im ready to upgrade.

Was looking at the Rega Brio R then the Arcam A19 come along then i read PP post about the Leema Pulse and i was hooked.

A Pulse has just become available here in Cheltenham 2nd hand.

I was thinking of buying some IPL Accustics M1tl transmission line kit as ive heard brilliant things.

But the same chap has some PMC db1i's for sale also.

Is the Leema a good choice and will they match the PMC's.

I listen to things like modern folk, Eric clapton, just found Joe Bonamasor though here Muse,etc etc.

Potential room is 4.5x3.5M

I find my present setup a little bright sometimes shrill, Im after a richer sound bigger soundstage better seperation of instruments les fatigueing, but most of all more enjoyable and fun.

What are your thoughts? Will this setup deliver as i can not demo cost for both around £925.

Sonos ZP80 Leema Pulse PMC DB1i

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2091
RE: Leema Pulse and PMC DB1i

Hi,

Sorry, but I've not personally heard the combo, but imo the Leema would certainly be the better choice over others you mentioned.

I think PP may have actually heard the two together... sure he'll be along shortly.

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

boggit's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 24/02/2013 - 17:41
Posts: 268
RE: Leema Pulse and PMC DB1i

Hi Mac 

Thanks for reply, yes I was hoping for a PP reply telling me yes just buy them!!

I want to here emotion and string being plucked prob is I didn't want to wast dealers time and to find which current amps I like and then go and buy 2nd hand more expensive RRP KIT.

It just so happens this guy is in cheltenham and then he had some DB1i for sale as well a speaker that caught my attention.

Must be  faight.

Sonos ZP80 Leema Pulse PMC DB1i

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2091
RE: Leema Pulse and PMC DB1i

boggit wrote:

Hi Mac 

Thanks for reply, yes I was hoping for a PP reply telling me yes just buy them!!

I want to here emotion and string being plucked prob is I didn't want to wast dealers time and to find which current amps I like and then go and buy 2nd hand more expensive RRP KIT.

It just so happens this guy is in cheltenham and then he had some DB1i for sale as well a speaker that caught my attention.

Must be  faight.

Could be! 

I'm sure the Leema will be a good buy, just not sure about the PMC's

Have you got a budget in mind... obviously you want to spend as little as possible, but just in case the speakers are a no no.

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16552
RE: Leema Pulse and PMC DB1i

boggit wrote:
Hi Ater looking and reading on this forum for 6 months I think im ready to upgrade. Was looking at the Rega Brio R then the Arcam A19 come along then i read PP post about the Leema Pulse and i was hooked. A Pulse has just become available here in Cheltenham 2nd hand. I was thinking of buying some IPL Accustics M1tl transmission line kit as ive heard brilliant things. But the same chap has some PMC db1i's for sale also. Is the Leema a good choice and will they match the PMC's. I listen to things like modern folk, Eric clapton, just found Joe Bonamasor though here Muse,etc etc. Potential room is 4.5x3.5M I find my present setup a little bright sometimes shrill, Im after a richer sound bigger soundstage better seperation of instruments les fatigueing, but most of all more enjoyable and fun. What are your thoughts? Will this setup deliver as i can not demo cost for both around £925.

Blimey, been down the river for a few hours and all this has kicked off. Wink

Yup, have heard the Pulse and DB1i and it's pretty superb. However, one slight caution: If you have crumby room acoustics, allied to bright sources it's not so great. Otherwise Arcam and PMC is also superb.

 

EDIT - Apologies. Right back now.

The Pulse IMO is a game changer for the money. It's like a hi-fi equivalent of a cold shower: It brings music alive and keeps you smiling. It isn't perfect. If partnered poorly or room acoustics are a little suspect then it may become a little overbearing. Also, if you like mainly female vocals it probably does quite have the richness of a class A amp or hi-end Arcam. But it does everything so well these little blips are nothing more than... little blips.

If you're a person who loves analysing every track, probably the Pulse isn't for you. On the other hand, if you love music little gets better anywhere the money.

Hope that's helped.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

boggit's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 24/02/2013 - 17:41
Posts: 268
RE: Leema Pulse and PMC DB1i

Budget wise around the £1000 mark for both.

Source, Sonos ZP80. Have moved room from oak floors, 2 french doors into a carpeted room and it did sound better.

If it were you PP would you buy a Leema or Arcam A19 simular price, what would you go for. (dont forget PP its your fault im looking at the Leema!! only joking it was just your enthusisum) and im pretty sure ill be getting a better amp than buying new.

Just these speakers now Kit or PMC, PMC better resale if i dont like them. Ive always had floorstaders.

 

 

 

Sonos ZP80 Leema Pulse PMC DB1i

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16552
RE: Leema Pulse and PMC DB1i

boggit wrote:

Budget wise around the £1000 mark for both.

Source, Sonos ZP80. Have moved room from oak floors, 2 french doors into a carpeted room and it did sound better.

If it were you PP would you buy a Leema or Arcam A19 simular price, what would you go for. (dont forget PP its your fault im looking at the Leema!! only joking it was just your enthusisum) and im pretty sure ill be getting a better amp than buying new.

Just these speakers now Kit or PMC, PMC better resale if i dont like them. Ive always had floorstaders.

 

 

 

If it were me - and remember I'm a huge Arcam fanboy, too - I'd get myself down to Leema dealer and listen to the Elements range. Not heard this new range and I very much doubt it'll be that different from the Pulse.

FWIW when HFW reviewd the Arcam A38 they likened it to their reference model, Leema Pulse, in terms of tonal quality and overall SQ

Read P33, first paragraph middle section. It refers to the Pulse.   http://syntec.prod.beyondd.com.au/syntec_data/wp-uploads//2013/01/arcam-A38-Hi-Fi-world-aug-08-review.pdf

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

drummerman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 18/01/2008 - 21:12
Posts: 5078
RE: Leema Pulse and PMC DB1i

boggit wrote:

 

If it were you PP would you buy a Leema or Arcam A19 simular price, ...

 

 

 

You surely were'nt serious when you asked that ... Smile

regards

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16552
RE: Leema Pulse and PMC DB1i

drummerman wrote:

boggit wrote:

 

If it were you PP would you buy a Leema or Arcam A19 simular price, ...

 

 

 

You surely were'nt serious when you asked that ... Smile

regards

Think he was, hence why I replied "I'd get myself down to Leema dealer and listen to the Elements range."

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

boggit's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 24/02/2013 - 17:41
Posts: 268
RE: Leema Pulse and PMC DB1i

Not really!! I was hoping for an unreserved yes just go and do it!

So why do we all ask these questions ? I suppose it's I've got to this point with all you're help reading other informative posts not to mention arguments and I just want to double check, acknowledge and get approval for all the help this forum gives.

I see it so many times in posts the OP has nearly already got ther in his own mind, certainly it's off the back of all the invisible help I have received.

I have also found brilliant new music to listen to mainly with the help of Mac ( Macspur)!

 

Sonos ZP80 Leema Pulse PMC DB1i

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16552
RE: Leema Pulse and PMC DB1i

boggit wrote:

Budget wise around the £1000 mark for both.

Source, Sonos ZP80. Have moved room from oak floors, 2 french doors into a carpeted room and it did sound better.

If it were you PP would you buy a Leema or Arcam A19 simular price, what would you go for. (dont forget PP its your fault im looking at the Leema!! only joking it was just your enthusisum) and im pretty sure ill be getting a better amp than buying new.

Just these speakers now Kit or PMC, PMC better resale if i dont like them. Ive always had floorstaders.

 

 

 

All the Pulse owners on here, some was a direct recommendation, have all been very happy with the Pulse. Also, and probably more important, is that they all use different speakers: Spendor SA-1s, Dyns Excite 12, PMC DB1is and, of course, yours truly, MA RS6s. That also indicates how flexible the Leema is.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16552
RE: Leema Pulse and PMC DB1i

boggit wrote:

Not really!! I was hoping for an unreserved yes just go and do it!

So why do we all ask these questions ? I suppose it's I've got to this point with all you're help reading other informative posts not to mention arguments and I just want to double check, acknowledge and get approval for all the help this forum gives.

I see it so many times in posts the OP has nearly already got ther in his own mind, certainly it's off the back of all the invisible help I have received.

I have also found brilliant new music to listen to mainly with the help of Mac ( Macspur)!

 

Read this page from a recent buyer of PMC DB1is and Leema Pulse.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/kef-ls50-vs-atc-scm11-0?page=2

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

boggit's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 24/02/2013 - 17:41
Posts: 268
RE: Leema Pulse and PMC DB1i

Thanks PP I suppose it's your previous posts that got me looking into the Leema.

i think it's a good compromise between a older MF A3 or Primare I30 and a new Rega Brio R it's only a year old and I'm pretty confident it will out perform those new Amps from what you and others have said.

Sonos ZP80 Leema Pulse PMC DB1i

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2091
RE: Leema Pulse and PMC DB1i

boggit wrote:

Not really!! I was hoping for an unreserved yes just go and do it!

So why do we all ask these questions ? I suppose it's I've got to this point with all you're help reading other informative posts not to mention arguments and I just want to double check, acknowledge and get approval for all the help this forum gives.

I see it so many times in posts the OP has nearly already got ther in his own mind, certainly it's off the back of all the invisible help I have received.

I have also found brilliant new music to listen to mainly with the help of Mac ( Macspur)!

 

My pleasure chap.

Read that link from PP on the guy with the DB1I's and I think you'll be convinced.

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16552
RE: Leema Pulse and PMC DB1i

Macspur wrote:

boggit wrote:

Not really!! I was hoping for an unreserved yes just go and do it!

So why do we all ask these questions ? I suppose it's I've got to this point with all you're help reading other informative posts not to mention arguments and I just want to double check, acknowledge and get approval for all the help this forum gives.

I see it so many times in posts the OP has nearly already got ther in his own mind, certainly it's off the back of all the invisible help I have received.

I have also found brilliant new music to listen to mainly with the help of Mac ( Macspur)!

 

My pleasure chap.

Read that link from PP on the guy with the DB1I's and I think you'll be convinced.

Mac

What's very interesting, Mac, is that the poster had Leema's own Xeros before the PMCs. I find that fascinating.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

boggit's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 24/02/2013 - 17:41
Posts: 268
RE: Leema Pulse and PMC DB1i

Yep I read it on my Leema travels but I was going down the IPL route with speakers.

Must of been there in my head because when this guy said he had some DB1i 's started me thinking

Started searching leema DB1 posts again but did not come across again so thanks for the link.

Kind of simular to my Klipsch X10i ear buds for Xmas to replace my Shure 110 mainly for bedtime listening the Klipsch sound much more detailed cleaner and instantly sound better, but the Shures are just more fun strange hey. Having said that they are so small and easy to put in I use them all the time. 

 

Sonos ZP80 Leema Pulse PMC DB1i

Pages

Log in or register to post comments