43 posts / 0 new
Last post
audioaddict's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 01/11/2011 - 12:21
Posts: 451
are my ears deceiving me ?

Popped into hughes today just for a quick browse and noticed the roksan kandy amp and cd player hooked upto to kef ls50. I nearly bought the k2 combo from them early this year. Anyway, I asked the salesman to stick in a cd ( he stuck in the beatles, come together track) which i have at home, and blow me down , was i disappointed with the sound of this top class system. It just didnt seem to have that wow factor that i.d expected. Now everyone to a certain extent is biased towards their own set up, but when i got home and payed the same track, my system sounded so much weightier, detailed and together. I know full well the shop environment is different to my house , but stil, a sytem of this quality should have trounced mine. Any one else had a similar experience ?

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11239
RE: are my ears deceiving me ?

Try them with a Naim CD5Si and Naim Nait 5i (now a 5Si), or Nait XS (now XS2). Or even the Pioneer A70 amplifier.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

audioaddict's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 01/11/2011 - 12:21
Posts: 451
RE: are my ears deceiving me ?

hi david, i didnt actually go to list to the speakers persae, just curious after having my cr603 for few months now if i was missing anything major, and just glad to say i dont think i am. Not that I'm disputing a direct comparison would see these systems outperform mine, just glad to say i.m very happy with what i,ve got after a lot of money spent in the past. 

trickyneedle's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 28/06/2013 - 13:55
Posts: 1
RE: are my ears deceiving me ?
Knowing the Roksan equipment well, this strikes me as somewhat surprising. Their gear is renowned for its high quality audiophile sound (perhaps more so than other price rivals). It could be that something in the set up wasn't right. Whether this is positioning, speaker matching, mains, cabling or whatever, who knows. But I would say it's particularly unusual to be underwhelmed by any Roksan equipment to this extent. I'd urge you to try again, maybe elsewhere, to satisfy your own (and my!) curiosity
TrevC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 12/06/2013 - 10:07
Posts: 788
RE: are my ears deceiving me ?

trickyneedle wrote:
Knowing the Roksan equipment well, this strikes me as somewhat surprising. Their gear is renowned for its high quality audiophile sound (perhaps more so than other price rivals). It could be that something in the set up wasn't right. Whether this is positioning, speaker matching, mains, cabling or whatever, who knows. But I would say it's particularly unusual to be underwhelmed by any Roksan equipment to this extent. I'd urge you to try again, maybe elsewhere, to satisfy your own (and my!) curiosity

 

It's probably more to do with acoustics and speaker positioning rather than the amp or CD player.. Also the LS50s really do need a sub IMO. (i have them, and a BK sub)

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16435
RE: are my ears deceiving me ?

audioaddict wrote:

Popped into hughes today just for a quick browse and noticed the roksan kandy amp and cd player hooked upto to kef ls50. I nearly bought the k2 combo from them early this year. Anyway, I asked the salesman to stick in a cd ( he stuck in the beatles, come together track) which i have at home, and blow me down , was i disappointed with the sound of this top class system. It just didnt seem to have that wow factor that i.d expected. Now everyone to a certain extent is biased towards their own set up, but when i got home and payed the same track, my system sounded so much weightier, detailed and together. I know full well the shop environment is different to my house , but stil, a sytem of this quality should have trounced mine. Any one else had a similar experience ?

What you heard is known as dealer syndrome. I'm pretty sure if you had your set-up side-by-side you'd notice. For all the dealer's effeorts their dem rooms cannot replicate your own living room. Had the same at Richer Sounds when I heard the 603 with Q Acoustics 2010i (I think). The clarity was very good and overall impressive. Would it compare with my set-up side-by-side? Don't know TBH, but I'd be very surprised if it did.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 16035
RE: are my ears deceiving me ?

I'm with you audioaddict.

There wasn't any 'blow me down' difference between my old Nait 5i/CD5i/NAT05 system and the M-CR603 I replaced it with a couple of years ago. (And despite my misgivings about the Naim system, sound quality certainly wasn't one of them.) 

Of course people will tell you the 'superior' system must have been wrongly matched, or was played in the wrong room, or had the wrong cables or... whatever etc.

All I know is that the M-CR603 is an incredible bit of kit (even for the £479 + £40 for AirPlay that I paid back then, let alone the £315 with free AirPlay you'd pay now).

It's not better sounding than an entry level Naim seperates system, but the difference is nothing like the gap in price would suggest.

I have had two years experience (often more than 8 hours a day as I mostly work from home) of both systems and if the 'hi-fi fairy'  left a free set of new Naim seperates in my living room tonight, they would be on ebay by Sunday and not the Marantz.

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16435
RE: are my ears deceiving me ?

chebby wrote:

Of course people will tell you the 'superior' system must have been wrongly matched, or was played in the wrong room, or had the wrong cables or... whatever etc.

The point I was making not that the Marantz can't compete, but if you go into a dealer on a ad hoc basis and hear a system, you've nothing to compare it with.

It's like years ago, when I purchased the A65+, the dealer had a 10k all- Bryston set-up with PMC OB1s (I think). I wasn't blown away by any stretch, considering the cost. Once I set-up the Arcams (Alpha 7, alongside Nad 352, Rotel RA-02 and A65) the difference was 'poke in the eye' different. From the short time I spent with the 603 it was very good for the money... but had nothing to compare with (and no, I just popped in there while Mrs. P did her own shopping, and the combo was already playing).

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

TrevC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 12/06/2013 - 10:07
Posts: 788
RE: are my ears deceiving me ?

When push comes to shove I doubt whether anyone can hear the differences between good amps. Speaker differences are huge however.

lindsayt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 08/04/2011 - 01:18
Posts: 1136
RE: are my ears deceiving me ?

Audioaddict, it would be interesting to repeat your listening test with both systems in the same room at the same time with the same music played at the same volume on both of them to see if this confirmed your impressions or contradicted them. Also interesting to repeat your experiment with a system a couple of notches above the Roksan Kef combination to see if you could notice a significant improvement between your system in your room and a supposedly world class system in another room with a big time gap and possible volume gap between each system.

 

Thompsonuxb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 19/02/2012 - 14:24
Posts: 908
Read this topic and smiled to

Read this topic and smiled to myself - I imagine if you heard your system in the same envoroment as the Roksan set you'd be underwelmed.

Pushed a little - I doubt the 603 could come close to the Roksan amp for scale and drive not to mention the dynamics. But if your happy with your set don't tempt fate.....it'll end in misery.

Thompsonuxb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 19/02/2012 - 14:24
Posts: 908
RE: are my ears deceiving me ?

plastic penguin wrote:

chebby wrote:

Of course people will tell you the 'superior' system must have been wrongly matched, or was played in the wrong room, or had the wrong cables or... whatever etc.

The point I was making not that the Marantz can't compete, but if you go into a dealer on a ad hoc basis and hear a system, you've nothing to compare it with.

It's like years ago, when I purchased the A65+, the dealer had a 10k all- Bryston set-up with PMC OB1s (I think). I wasn't blown away by any stretch, considering the cost. Once I set-up the Arcams (Alpha 7, alongside Nad 352, Rotel RA-02 and A65) the difference was 'poke in the eye' different. From the short time I spent with the 603 it was very good for the money... but had nothing to compare with (and no, I just popped in there while Mrs. P did her own shopping, and the combo was already playing).

 

That Arcan A65+ was one of the best amps I ever heard I remember auditioning one back late 90's (my 1st venture into hifi) with a pair of Eltax liberty 5 (floorstanders) and Marantz cd player, stunning sound huge 3dness and stage - was put off when it started clipping/cutting out when the dealer turned it up a bit ....almost my 1st proper amp.

Singslinger's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 31/07/2010 - 07:42
Posts: 685
RE: are my ears deceiving me ?

Yes, I've had a similar experience - many times in the past. Good to hear that you're enjoying your own setup though - after all, that's what it's all about.

audioaddict's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 01/11/2011 - 12:21
Posts: 451
RE: are my ears deceiving me ?

i actually agree with a lot of whats been said on here after i put this post up but i do kinda agree with chebby in that the marantz is really incredible sounding ...maybe it wldnt stand up to a lot of pricier systems in my living room in some aspects but for overall sound quality i bet it wld...i remember first hearing the 603 with dali fazor 5 and even in the shop it sounded incredible so i dont think the dealer syndrome stands up...maybe a lot of people might underestimate this tiny system compared to expensive separates...it really is a bit special

whiskywheels's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 13 hours ago
Joined: 01/11/2009 - 11:44
Posts: 184
RE: are my ears deceiving me ?

What do you expect from;

a) The Beatles?

b) A piece of music with limited dynamic range and tone?

c) Old recording technology?

audioaddict's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 01/11/2011 - 12:21
Posts: 451
RE: are my ears deceiving me ?

lol erm ive had the system now for six months and am very happy ...do you think all ive listened to in six months is the beatles ? i nearly bought the roksan combo a while back and my previous system was 3k mono bloc so i know a good sound when i have one and the marantz is it ...your comment very funny though

Pages

Log in or register to post comments