Isolation products, along with all those mains associated ones (cables,conditioners,re-generators etc) are like the "black arts" of hifi; witchcraft or essential mod?.....controversy reigns.
BR caught my eye, as it claimed to make a good improvement without fundamentally changing the sound, but enhancing what's there already; oh and not forgetting the more you use, the better the improvement - cynical sales tactic or truthful disclosure?
My Linn DS was the target of this experiment. It has a very well designed power supply (Dynamik) which I believe is a "switch mode" design. This is probably the reason that it hasn't responded to my usual tweaks.......Power Cables made little difference, and a mains regenerator (£1500 of Isol made it sound worse (bright and clinical).
Enter Black Ravoli - a selection of the original pads and the newer Big Feet for comparison.
First the pads. They were stacked 2 high to lift the Linn's feet off the rack (pads go under the chasis, preferably under the mains section). Amazingly, the more I put under, the better the improvement - and it did take the strengths of the DS and enhance them. It made the sound more natural (less digital), especially with voices/un-miked instruments, while the background got blacker and the soundstage got bigger.
They say to let them settle for a day or two - which I did. When I removed them, the soundstage seemed to collapse, voices retreated into the background and the sense of ease and naturalness somewhat evaporated.
Next the Bigfeet, which I was told would give even more of an improvement. They didn't. In the context of my DS and taste, it made the sound more detailed but less musical....a bit brighter and more clinical.
Needless to say I purchased the pads, and am happy with the result. These pads are not especially cheap, but if you have a mid priced system and above, and want to improve what's there already, they are worth a home demo. Start with the source and work forwards...... till you run out of money! They are particulaly effective under power supplies.
Just thought I'd share the results of my testing, in case it's of interest to others.