376 posts / 0 new
Last post
ellisdj's picture
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

sogophonio11 wrote:

Just out for a breather!! Phew. Serious mistake, looked at this stuff again.

ellisdj(DJ are you?) In what way is oppo better than pioneer, in what way is oppo better than anything on this planet!!!!

I will tell you my friend. AWSOME in every respect. Go and audition one.

For nearly twenty years i worked for the ATV in borehamwood. I witnessed the digital audio revolution circa early eighties.

Around that time i owned a linn sondek grace arm, supex cartridge, richard pavane speakers! Thought they were the dogs Bxxxxx.

Over the years have seen first hand an amazing technological revolution, and during that time built my system.

Made some mistakes along the way, dont we all?

Then i started reading all about the oppo95. Went and listened to one(No several to be truthfull) In all sorts of systems. And  the 95 simply won me over.

As a sound engineer, now working freelance for whoever will trust my skills, expertise, etc( Dont do so bad!)

Simply put the oppo products are a once in a generation technological miricale!!!

IF the company ask for three grand, it would still be good value.

No more to be said.

Thanks Sogo - I get you like it which is great however I was after specifics as I know the lX71 quite well as a player so it will help me

How do you wire up - are you using the analogue out and onboard decoding and processing?Was you using the LX71 the same way?

Or are you feeding PCM into the Audiolab via HDMI?  Again was that the same when using the 71

How do you say the picture compares - I think the 71 has a very good picture, quite soft but very cinemalike?

Meridian 861 V4 LPSU, HD621, Bryston 9BSST - GIK Acoustics

Monitor Audio PL100, PLC 150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA

Audio PC LPSU + Batts, JPLAY, JCAT and PPA Studio

65VT65, UD7007, Graham Slee Cables, Isotek, XLO,

gel's picture

jjbomber wrote:

abacus wrote:

The main problem with Oppo is that there are hardly any dealers where you can try them out.

Also reading through the posts the 103 is significantly more expensive than most of the Blu-Rays it is compared with, so while it may be great for what you pay for it, it is probably way above what most people can afford. (So no matter how good it is, it is just not an option for most)

This may be why it only gets 3 stars compared to the cheaper (But brilliant for the price) players.

Bill

If, and it's a big if, that is the case then why does it mainly get 5 stars elsewhere? 

As for way above what most people can afford? Really? That is 3 pints a week less for the year and an Oppo for Christmas. Or even 4 cigarettes a day less. Most people can afford beer and cigarettes but not a decent HiFi. That is the reality. 

Because the other reviewers don't have access to the number of Blu-ray players WHF does.  So I guess they have to give something 4 or 5 stars.  Don't think the other reviewers have reviewed the Pioneer 450 yet where WHF has.

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

sogophonio11's picture

Morning all. ellisdj, to answer your questions then. I use 7.1 from the 95 into the audiolab, using eight chord cadenzas. I use a projector onto a ten foot screen. The oppo is set to source direct, and i use hdmi straight out into the jvc.

All signals, wether audio or video, are straight line, no switching, processing or anything like that.

There are thousands of guys out there who are now tearing there hair out! What no fangled avr in your system. All those expensive cables. How do you control it all. Simple, logitech universal. Nice simple system, for enjoying, not messing with.

Sorry picture quality compared to lx71, sharp, breathtakingly cinematic, simply lightyears ahead of the 71.

Hope this helps you.

David@FrankHarvey's picture

gel wrote:
jjbomber wrote:
If, and it's a big if, that is the case then why does it mainly get 5 stars elsewhere? 

As for way above what most people can afford? Really? That is 3 pints a week less for the year and an Oppo for Christmas. Or even 4 cigarettes a day less. Most people can afford beer and cigarettes but not a decent HiFi. That is the reality. 

Because the other reviewers don't have access to the number of Blu-ray players WHF does.  So I guess they have to give something 4 or 5 stars.  Don't think the other reviewers have reviewed the Pioneer 450 yet where WHF has.

Nonsense. Manufacturers will send their items to reviewers either off their own back, or after it being requested by the magazine/reviewer. If a magazine really wants to review a product and the manufacturer won't send them a sample, the magazine/reviewer can purchase one to perform the review. I'm guessing some manufacturers might pick and choose which mag they send a review sample to based on their reputation.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

gel's picture

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

gel wrote:
jjbomber wrote:

Nonsense. Manufacturers will send their items to reviewers either off their own back, or after it being requested by the magazine/reviewer. If a magazine really wants to review a product and the manufacturer won't send them a sample, the magazine/reviewer can purchase one to perform the review. I'm guessing some manufacturers might pick and choose which mag they send a review sample to based on their reputation.

WHF do review more Blu-ray players than anyone else though, that is what I meant.  So they should know more about the competition than anyone else.

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

gel wrote:
WHF do review more Blu-ray players than anyone else though, that is what I meant.  So they should know more about the competition than anyone else.

Maybe they should spend some more time with the Oppo then rather than every player available in the £100-300 price point.

gel's picture

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

gel wrote:

Maybe they should spend some more time with the Oppo then rather than every player available in the £100-300 price point.

How does the Marantz 7007 compare to the Oppo 103? Have you compared the two?  Because WHF like the sound of that.

As I mentioned before, the bigger picture needs to be looked at Smile

gel's picture

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

gel wrote:

WHF have already stated they took a long hard look at the Oppo and to be quite honest it don't take long to work out which ones are good either.  

duaplex's picture

Not necessarily, not all products are excellent out of the box and some calibration is needed to bring the best out them.  I believe this the point David is making.

When you compare the Oppo 103 to say the Pioneer 450 on a 50 inch TV you wil struggle to see the difference, its there but you have to look hard. Now switch over to a projector and the difference is very clear. The 103 has the best picture quality around. right up there with the 715BD if not better. This was my experience when I had a recent demo and yes I adjusted the settings to get there.

The review is harsh, I would have gone with 4 stars and awarded the 105 the 5, purely because it's better on Music.

gel's picture

duaplex wrote:

Not necessarily, not all products are excellent out of the box and some calibration is needed to bring the best out them.  I believe this the point David is making.

When you compare the Oppo 103 to say the Pioneer 450 on a 50 inch TV you wil struggle to see the difference, its there but you have to look hard. Now switch over to a projector and the difference is very clear. The 103 has the best picture quality around. right up there with the 715BD if not better. This was my experience when I had a recent demo and yes I adjusted the settings to get there.

The review is harsh, I would have gone with 4 stars and awarded the 105 the 5, purely because it's better on Music.

My personal opinion of the 751bd picture quality is poor, so if this Oppo is like the 751 bd the review is spot on!  I do like the sound on the 751bd though, dont know about the  Oppo sound  but trust the review.

duaplex's picture

Perhaps whoever gave you a demo did a bad job? The 715BD is fab, if you trust reviews from whathifi then it's a 5/5 Wink

gel's picture

duaplex wrote:

Perhaps whoever gave you a demo did a bad job? The 715BD is fab, if you trust reviews from whathifi then it's a 5/5 Wink

Possibly it was Richer Sounds.  I like my Pioneer me and when that was first reviewed it got 5 stars.  

gel's picture

gel wrote:

duaplex wrote:

Possibly it was Richer Sounds.  I like my Pioneer me and when that was first reviewed it got 5 stars.  

I have tried other brands but don't get on with them.

duaplex's picture

But we still can't play Prometheus 3D on our pioneer, wish they would hurry up with the update. Mind you Panasonic never seems to have issues with playback of newer formats.  That's another thing Oppo has going for it.

Pages