Sony has confirmed that software update v2.20 for the PS3, due for release later this month, will add Blu-ray Disc Profile 2.0 – otherwise known as BD-Live.
BD-LIVE allows PS3 owners to take full advantage of interactive features, such as downloadable video content, ringtones and games. Movies with BD-Live functionality will be released next month, says Sony.
In addition, the software update will enable photo and music playlists on a PS3 to be copied to a PSP (PlayStation Portable).
To access Blu-ray Profile 2.0, users will require an internet connection and at least 1GB of local storage.
Anyone with a PS3 running Profile 2.0 will be able to access a variety of downloadable content, including bonus scenes, shorts, trailers, subtitles and ringtones that can be sent to mobile phones.
There will also be interactive movie-based games that can pit players who are sitting in the same room, or across the world and online, against each other.
Other new features included as part of the update include:
- "Resume play" will enable PS3 to start playing a BD and DVD video at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been removed. *1
- "Audio Output Device" will be a new remote play setting, enabling PSP to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3.
- PS3's internet browser will be enhanced: video files directly linked from a web page will be able to be streamed, and the browser's view speed will be improved.
- DivX and WMV format videos that are larger than 2GB will be playable.
- "Mosquito Noise Reduction" will be added as an AV setting in the control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback. *2
*1 BD-J format disc is not supported.
*2 BD discs recorded with BDMV format are not supported.