47 posts / 0 new
Last post
mpapo's picture
RE: KEF R300 vs LS50

Soundstage, low volume listening & bass extension

Rethep's picture

See my thread in general and the fresh post in this thread!

"Experience with new Kef "R"-line and LS-50 with tube-amp".

Airport Express (still analog!), Artephonos Energa (tube-amp), Peitho 303 (infinite baffle speakers)

ErwinC's picture

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

One thing I will mention, is that what the R series and LS50 is ultimately capable of is very dependent on the accompanying electronics. They're the same as the Blades - they can sound great, or they can sound phenomenal.

What amplifier below £1500 works best with the LS50 according to you? I currently still use a Cyrus 6XP.

Naim UnitiLite - Chord Carnival Silverscreen - PMC Twenty.21

ErwinC's picture

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

Exactly why I'll be changing my R300's for LS50's for my 5.1 system Smile

You will be using 5 LS50's en 1 subwoofer?

David@FrankHarvey's picture

ErwinC wrote:
FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:
One thing I will mention, is that what the R series and LS50 is ultimately capable of is very dependent on the accompanying electronics. They're the same as the Blades - they can sound great, or they can sound phenomenal.

What amplifier below £1500 works best with the LS50 according to you? I currently still use a Cyrus 6XP.

The R series has worked on almost any amplifier we've tried them on, but I would say that the LS50's will be a little more fussy because of their slightly different presentation. They seem to sound great on a Naim Nait XS, the Leema Elements amplifier, various Cyrus integrateds, and on the end of an Audiolab 8200CDQ/8200P combination too. A 6xp will work fine, but adding a power amp at a later date will definitely benefit.

ErwinC wrote:
FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:
Exactly why I'll be changing my R300's for LS50's for my 5.1 system Smile

You will be using 5 LS50's en 1 subwoofer?

Yes, it'll be five LS50's used as satellites, and a single subwoofer.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

ErwinC's picture

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

Yes, it'll be five LS50's used as satellites, and a single subwoofer.

Impressive. I am jealous. Wink

Rethep's picture

As you can see from my "review" some posts above here, it works well with a vave-amp too! Make it an (valve)amp with strong grip on the bass, and not too bright.

Airport Express (still analog!), Artephonos Energa (tube-amp), Peitho 303 (infinite baffle speakers)

ErwinC's picture

After several days of playing in and many hours of listening, i can say that the KEF LS50 are all what i expected and much more.

They opened up and bass became tighter, more powerful and has good definition. Soundstage and imaging is excellent, detail retrieval is exceptional for a speaker of this price. Micro and macro dynamics are first rate. The LS50 also play very good at lower listening volumes, something i needed.

They can be placed close against the back wall without problems, something that was not possible with the Dynaudio Focus 110 i owned some time ago.

In one thing they remind me a lot of the Q Acoustics 2020i i owned before. They both provide exceptional value for money imo. Wink

ErwinC's picture

I am able to buy a Cyrus PreXvs+XPower for a decent price, but i am wondering if this will be a significant upgrade compared to my current Cyrus 6XP. I mostly listen at lower volumes and have the impression that the 6XP can do this without problems.

David@FrankHarvey's picture

ErwinC wrote:
I am able to buy a Cyrus PreXvs+XPower for a decent price, but i am wondering if this will be a significant upgrade compared to my current Cyrus 6XP. I mostly listen at lower volumes and have the impression that the 6XP can do this without problems.

That combo will be better. Playing well at lower volume requires a cleaner, more dynamic amplifier.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

Rethep's picture

I am curious how the LS50 will sound with a Creek Destiny amp. Anyone an idea ?

ErwinC's picture

I finally decided and bought the LS50. Smile

For me the LS50 are clearly better than the R300 although the R300 are also very good.

Rethep's picture

I think that you will not regret this choice! I was very impressed with the Kef's even with a relatively "cheap" tube-amp which made it a little loose in the bass, i could not deny it's "effortless" sound. But i will first demo a better tube-amp (better in bass and dynamics), and i'm still curious about the new Epos line. After that i could return to the Kef LS50.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: KEF R300 vs LS50 RE: KEF R300 vs LS50

how is your 5.1 system working out with the ls50's? mind if i ask which av amp you paired with?

i asked the kef guys about it as an idea and they recommended the ls50's as front speakers only.....

im picking a pair up soon, was thinking about getting three more..

techblogpool's picture

Hey guys, I bought these a month ago and have been experimenting with them a bit. I auditioned them and actually did not get to the second speaker and just made a straight decision. I had to have that sound at home straight away! Smile

I came to the shop a week later to hear them against what they had available, the R700. I did an A/B comparison with many songs, the setup was an all Cambridge audio SACD player and amp and some media streamer.

My home setup is completely different, I watch films first and listen to music second so I have a Denon AVR-2113 and a Denon DBT-1713UD and a have some quite cheap and cheerful Yamahas as the center (NS 444) and rears (NS 333).

So, on the Cambridge setup, the main difference to my ears was the "size" of the sound, the R700s simply produce a huge wall of sound, the number of drivers, the size of the cabinet, the volume of the lows are just tad more captivating.

However when I switched to LS50s, the mids and highs gained clarity and "truthfullness" to die for! Not sure which word to use but the music seemed more musical to me.

Back at my place, which is an ordinairy 5x5 sitting room, I find the speakers sound best when placed exactly at ear lever and 0.5m from the wall. Since I used the yamahas before and only for movies (I hated them for any kind of music), I had them placed on the cupboard first. That was a huge mistake, these speakers deserve a lot of space and some good stands! So I ordered new stands and they sound now exactly the way I remembered them at the audition. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised how my AV receiver handles them. I expected worse. They sound just as exciting and open and truthful as they did in the shop. However, to my ears, not so much at low volume. They become really exciting and engaging just above the 12" o'clock dial (display says 60).

I also tried placing them in the center speaker position, which in my setup is below the TV, inside the cupboard, way below the ear level and they sound dull, distant and muffled that way. The tweeter really has to be at the ear lever to sound at its best.

One day I will get rid of my home cinema and use them with a proper amp to fully use their potential. One day. Smile

Pages